Rotterdam Art Heist: Stolen Masterpieces Likely Incinerated

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Such a waste. Lets hope she is lying.

The whereabouts of valuable paintings stolen from the Rotterdam Kunsthal museum last year have long been uncertain, despite the arrest of the alleged thieves. Now the mother of one of the accused says she burned them in an oven.

A high-profile art theft from a Rotterdam museum has taken a tragic turn. In one of the most spectacular art heists to hit Europe in decades, last October thieves stole a number of valuable paintings from the Rotterdam Kunsthal, including works by Lucian Freud, Paul Gauguin, Henri Matisse, Claude Monet and Pablo Picasso. Though suspects were arrested in the case, officials had been unable to find the art. Now it appears the works were likely destroyed.

Rotterdam Art Heist: Stolen Masterpieces Likely Incinerated - ABC News

A waste, maybe. If the artists were living, something tells me they'd be laughing their asses off over this.

A waste, maybe. If the artists were living, something tells me they'd be laughing their asses off over this.

Probably.

But then again..most of those fellows were borderline insane.

Five of my nicest quilt works were stolen in years past. Two were "lost" by a museum, one was supposed to be hung at a elder home for one month, but never made it back (fraudulent representative), one was heisted from a show in another town and not returned, and 10 squares of a quilt in which I had finished squares disappeared from my desk at work one week. Trust me, it is not an honor to have your hard work stolen or expropriated by dishonest or careless people.

Five of my nicest quilt works were stolen in years past. Two were "lost" by a museum, one was supposed to be hung at a elder home for one month, but never made it back (fraudulent representative), one was heisted from a show in another town and not returned, and 10 squares of a quilt in which I had finished squares disappeared from my desk at work one week. Trust me, it is not an honor to have your hard work stolen or expropriated by dishonest or careless people.

That's gotta be a punch in the gut.

The OP made me think about the Dr. Who episode where they visited Vincent van Gogh. I mean if you could go back in time and tell some of these artists that their works would someday be worth untold millions, they'd think it was a joke. And I think they would see it as a crime for their works to be sold and re-sold time and again, making many people wealthy. I mean, was that the purpose of them creating these works in the first place? Having them burnt in an oven is the ultimate irony.

I don't think they would laugh at it being destroyed really. Seems to a lot of artists take their work pretty seriously.

This is sad...but here are the movie versions:

The ashes and residue are from other paintings in order to cover the tracks of the authentic works, which are now in the hands of some uber wealthy & diabolical collector....or the loaned paintings were forgeries and the owners are collecting massive insurance reimbursements while continuing to enjoy their paintings in a secret location.

I don't think they would laugh at it being destroyed really. Seems to a lot of artists take their work pretty seriously.

Ok. Well I guess I'm the one laughing at the irony.

A flock of Buddhists will spend untold man-hours creating a Mandala, then.... *poof*.

Forum List

Back