Russell Wilson Benched

That’s a big part of it, but it’s pretty clear that the current coaching staff and Wilson are not a good fit.

Sean Peyton was chewing out Russell Wilson on the sidelines in front of the team and a national TV audience after inexplicably stupid coaching decisions. Instead of looking like a puppy which just caught peeing on the carpet, Wilson should have barked back at Peyton.
Sean Peyton was spoiled at new Orleans where he coached a very talented team with Drew Brees at QB.

They thought he was the improvement they needed. He might have been if they had used him in the right way.

I’ll bet Wilson appreciates Pete Carroll a whole lot more now than he did two years ago.
Pete Carroll always seems to get the best out of his players.

I believe that it does. The Broncos conveyed two distinct messages through this action:

1. "Russell, You will not be the starter in 2024"

2. "We are going to protect what we can as far as our financial interest".
they are rinning a business, after all.

if it were possible to devise an offense that wilson could run, peyton would be in the field implementing it. bridgewater, taysom hill, brees himself all got their best games when payton was calling plays.

questiom ": how many super bowl rings for future hall of fame coach sean peyton?

That’s a big part of it, but it’s pretty clear that the current coaching staff and Wilson are not a good fit.

Sean Peyton was chewing out Russell Wilson on the sidelines in front of the team and a national TV audience after inexplicably stupid coaching decisions. Instead of looking like a puppy which just caught peeing on the carpet, Wilson should have barked back at Peyton.
I agree. Obviously that was humiliating to Wilson. It appears that there is not much mutual respect left there between him and the organization at this point.

Personally, I find it puzzling that they would think in the beginning that he was the key to them becoming playoff contenders.

He was a very solid QB, but not HOF material IMHO.

they are rinning a business, after all.

if it were possible to devise an offense that wilson could run, peyton would be in the field implementing it. bridgewater, taysom hill, brees himself all got their best games when payton was calling plays.

questiom ": how many super bowl rings for future hall of fame coach sean peyton?
He earned a superbowl victory with New Orleans, as head coach, but it looks like a huge stretch to become a reality unless a complete rebuild of the team takes place.

I agree. Obviously that was humiliating to Wilson. It appears that there is not much mutual respect left there between him and the organization at this point.

Personally, I find it puzzling that they would think in the beginning that he was the key to them becoming playoff contenders.

He was a very solid QB, but not HOF material IMHO.
I thought he was a hall of fame type QB before he went to Denver.

His skills have diminished.
Not really. He played fairly well this year. He’s still a quality QB. He was used poorly for the last two seasons. Denver is not going to be able to replace him with someone better.

Not really. He played fairly well this year. He’s still a quality QB. He was used poorly for the last two seasons. Denver is not going to be able to replace him with someone better.
He is just a shadow of his former self.

Wilson is guaranteed $39 million next year whether he stays with the team or not, but he also has an additional $37 million that would become guaranteed if he cannot pass a physical in March.

Where can I volunteer for a job like that? Better, just who is writing these contracts? No employer ever offered me millions of dollars much less just to play a game for four months out of the year, not to mention offered to pay me even if I got sick, couldn't work, was fired or left the company.

Is it any wonder that sports like everything else is turning to crap?

And someone on TV finally said out loud what I've been saying for years: the more they protect these players, the more they seem to get injured. First they paid them more and more until they decided they were too valuable now to get injured. Then in protecting them more, they increased their rate of injury.

Football players of the 1970s were paid about what the average middle class worker makes today, and they played with broken teeth, bone chips, contusions, sprains, and concussions. And back then, you could really lay into a guy and hit him bad.

In a few years I bet the NFL starts admitting women and trans-men onto the teams. They already have players running around wearing pink shoes and gloves.

Where can I volunteer for a job like that? Better, just who is writing these contracts? No employer ever offered me millions of dollars much less just to play a game for four months out of the year, not to mention offered to pay me even if I got sick, couldn't work, was fired or left the company.

Is it any wonder that sports like everything else is turning to crap?

And someone on TV finally said out loud what I've been saying for years: the more they protect these players, the more they seem to get injured. First they paid them more and more until they decided they were too valuable now to get injured. Then in protecting them more, they increased their rate of injury.

Football players of the 1970s were paid about what the average middle class worker makes today, and they played with broken teeth, bone chips, contusions, sprains, and concussions. And back then, you could really lay into a guy and hit him bad.

In a few years I bet the NFL starts admitting women and trans-men onto the teams. They already have players running around wearing pink shoes and gloves.
I wondered what the Broncos ownership was thinking when they gave him that deal. Especially considering that he was an aging quarterback.

The guys that played in the old days of the AFL and NFL, played for peanuts by comparison. In fact, my high school football coach (Earl Faison) who was a great defensive end for the San Diego Chargers back in those days, told me that the most he ever earned in a single season was $13,000.

He sold cars during the off season.

Last edited:
He is just a shadow of his former self.
Actually he played well. He was the only credible weapon they had on offense. They couldn’t run the ball. They have seven rushing TD’s. Wilson had six of them.

They were a one dimensional offense. That wasn't Wilson’s fault.

I wondered what the Broncos ownership was thinking when they gave him that deal. Especially considering that he was an aging quarterback.
It almost seems that everytime they give someone a mega-contract, they are almost assured of immediately getting a season-ending injury!

The guys that played in the old days of the AFL and NFL, played for peanuts by comparison. In fact, my high school football coach (Earl Faison) who was a great defensive for the San Diego Chargers back in those days, told me that the most he ever earned in a single season was $13,000. He sold cars during the off season.

They played out of passion for the game. Now they play for the money.

The other week, wide receiver George Pickens on the Steelers actually ran away from tackling a guy with the ball. When asked about it, he said he was afraid of getting hurt and it impacting his career. Before that, another wide receiver Diontae Johnson just stood there and stared as a guy ran by him with an intercepted ball. When asked about it, he said he was distracted, his mind wasn't on the game because he was stewing over not getting as many passes thrown his way as he wanted. :smoke:

It almost seems that everytime they give someone a mega-contract, they are almost assured of immediately getting a season-ending injury!

They played out of passion for the game. Now they play for the money.

The other week, wide receiver George Pickens on the Steelers actually ran away from tackling a guy with the ball. When asked about it, he said he was afraid of getting hurt and it impacting his career. Before that, another wide receiver Diontae Johnson just stood there and stared as a guy ran by him with an intercepted ball. When asked about it, he said he was distracted, his mind wasn't on the game because he was stewing over not getting as many passes thrown his way as he wanted. :smoke:

I saw where he avoided blocking on that play. In his initial statement to the media, he said that he "didn't want to get hurt".

It's a contact sport, what does he expect?

The only question remaining is whether Deshaun Watson or Russell Wilson was the biggest mistake in NFL history.

Herschel Walker is off the hook.
Wilson went to two "super bowls" and should have won both of them. Watching him play he had the touch. There are players who have it. The word is that he was the best quarterback the year he was drafted. His height cost him the top of the first round. Luck, Griffin 3, and Tannehill were in the top 8 picks. Wilson went in the 3rd round at pick 75.

Forum List

Back