School Sued Over Muslim Teacher's Pilgrimage

If I worked in a Muslim country, would they let me take a couple weeks off for Christmas or Easter? I have a feeling they would tell me to fuck off.

High Gravity, are you suggesting we should reshape the US constitution to resemble the law of Iran more? If not, the legal systems of other nations is mainly irrelevant.

There's a tension between the right to work and the right to worship for Americans. We are accomodating of the christians, less so of adherents of any other faith. Don't you suppose there are more'n a few devote Jews who've resented being asked to work on a Saturday before now?

All that's new about this story is, the religion and its practices are not familiar to us and the requests for accommodation seem extreme. But we'll survive.

Go ahead dumb fuck cite for us the religious observances a Christian would ask for 3 weeks off for during a school year.

Not to be a big baby about this, RGS, but I'd rather you didn't use such filthy language towards me. You're a grown man, and a vet -- I kinda sorta expect better from you.

Anyway, no, I dun think she'll win her case. Three weeks or a month is too much time, and she can go when she isn't teaching, like after she retires. BTW, I already said this and I wonder why you can't take it what I write.

So I guess any Muslim that wants to take a month off from their job to go to Hajj should be accomodated right?

Any American has the right to practice their religion, and employers in the US must make reasonable accommodations for this. IMO, a month off work is not reasonable and she will not win.

However, the bottom line is, the case will get resolved, one way or the other, and life will go on for us all.

Ask the millions of workers from Southeast asian countries who do manual labor in the Gulf, they only get 1 day off during the week Friday, and sometimes not even that. They would get punched in the mouth if they asked for a month off for Christmas, in Saudi Arabia they don't even have Churches for them to practice their faith. I have been to Kuwait and seen this all for myself, it is nothing new and it is the truth. If you don't believe me talk to anyone whos been to a Muslim country if Christians get any time off for any religious holidays.

Why does every thread concerning Muslim Americans have to devolve into;

well in Saudi Arabia they do this, and in Iran and Egypt, they do that, etc., etc., etc. :evil:

The case is about an American citizen.

Teaching in an America school.

Being represented by a U.S. government agency.

And will be handled here in America in a U.S. Federal Court. :cool:

Well you asked me to provide proof that Christians get denied religious holidays in Muslim countries, and I gave you that. There are Muslim countries with Christian minorities like Syria, Lebanon etc but they are lucky to even get that day off.

Yes, but we here in the US prize our First Amendment, High Gravity. The lack of freedom in other nations is one reason the US is a better place to live -- for American Muslims, christians, Jews, etc.

Why does every thread concerning Muslim Americans have to devolve into;

well in Saudi Arabia they do this, and in Iran and Egypt, they do that, etc., etc., etc. :evil:

The case is about an American citizen.

Teaching in an America school.

Being represented by a U.S. government agency.

And will be handled here in America in a U.S. Federal Court. :cool:

Well you asked me to provide proof that Christians get denied religious holidays in Muslim countries, and I gave you that. There are Muslim countries with Christian minorities like Syria, Lebanon etc but they are lucky to even get that day off.

Yes, but we here in the US prize our First Amendment, High Gravity. The lack of freedom in other nations is one reason the US is a better place to live -- for American Muslims, christians, Jews, etc.

Go ahead, as I asked already, cite for us any other religion that requires 3 to 4 weeks off for religious purposes. This is NOT a 1st amendment issue, this is Muslims trying to get treated special.

Rumor has it you can still visit Mecca in the months of June, July, and August.

she can't perform hajj then, try learning about other religions before spouting off

i see no big deal with a one time 3 week request...teachers get that leave all the time for illnesses etc...its a reasonable request
I agree...and if a Christian asked for a Christian holy day off without pay that fell during the school year I have no doubt it would be granted.

she can't perform hajj then, try learning about other religions before spouting off

i see no big deal with a one time 3 week request...teachers get that leave all the time for illnesses etc...its a reasonable request
I agree...and if a Christian asked for a Christian holy day off without pay that fell during the school year I have no doubt it would be granted.

Name any other religion that would require 3 weeks for holy observance. It is NOT reasonable. She can wait till it falls during her holiday time or she can take a year off.

Go ahead, as I asked already, cite for us any other religion that requires 3 to 4 weeks off for religious purposes. This is NOT a 1st amendment issue, this is Muslims trying to get treated special.
So what? It isn't her fault that her religion has long pilgrimages. btw, Christmas break is factored into the school year to accommodate Christians and I don't here you crying about that.

WTF! :wtf:

I actually agree with Yurt and Ravi at the same time.

I need a shower.

So what? It isn't her fault that her religion has long pilgrimages. btw, Christmas break is factored into the school year to accommodate Christians and I don't here you crying about that.

More lies from the left. Certain Holidays are factored in and one happens to fall during a break between semesters. Shall we have a month off for Ramadan?

More lies from the left. Certain Holidays are factored in and one happens to fall during a break between semesters. Shall we have a month off for Ramadan?
Nope...just give the woman her three weeks off without pay. She wasn't even asking to use her vacation time or sick leave. What a small, narrow mind you have.

The semesters are built around Christmas break you stupid fuckhead.

That makes no damn sense, those Holidays are already off, so there is no need to ask for the day off. Plus this isn't a holiday, its a month long pilgrimage. If a Christian asked for a month off to go to Jerasulem or something I would also want that request denied.

I don't know what to tell you, this is a Christian majority country which is why the Christmas holidays are given days off. If you want to live in a place where they give you time off to make hajj, adjust your hours for Ramadan and give you days for Islamic holidays like Eid than maybe you need to move to an Islamic country.

I don't know what to tell you, this is a Christian majority country which is why the Christmas holidays are given days off. If you want to live in a place where they give you time off to make hajj, adjust your houses for Ramadan and give you days for Islamic holidays like Eid than maybe you need to move to an Islamic country.
It doesn't matter what religious majority we have. The constitution forbids favoring one religion over another. Suck on it.

Nope...just give the woman her three weeks off without pay. She wasn't even asking to use her vacation time or sick leave. What a small, narrow mind you have.

Ignorance is your friend, you are beyond stupid.

What exactly is the school to do for 3 weeks while this teacher is gone? It is not a First Amendment problem. It is an unreasonable request. Further even the religion agrees. There is no requirement to make the pilgrimage and no set time limit if you chose to do so. She can wait 2 or so years till it falls during summer break.

By the way you fucking retard, the semesters occur when they do due to farming concerns in the summer not because of Christmas.

No, we do not need a month off for Ramadan, RGS, but an American Muslim is an American and her faith and religious practices are as entitled to First Amendment protection as anyone else's. I do not think this woman will win this case, but doubtless there are others regarding Muslim religious practices that will be won.

We are a pluralistic society -- not a christian one. Shove over, you cranky old man.

What exactly is the school to do for 3 weeks while this teacher is gone? It is not a First Amendment problem. It is an unreasonable request. Further even the religion agrees. There is no requirement to make the pilgrimage and no set time limit if you chose to do so. She can wait 2 or so years till it falls during summer break.

By the way you fucking retard, the semesters occur when they do due to farming concerns in the summer not because of Christmas.
There is a reason substitutes exist. Teachers take time off all the time for personal reasons. I have two teachers in my family and they've never been denied leave for a personal request...family wedding, family birth, or just a week in LV. :cuckoo:

There may not be a requirement, I have no idea. But it is something Muslims feel compelled to do when they are able to afford it and when they are still living.

There's no farming over Christmas...:lol:. The schools could easily accommodate the farming season by eliminating the two weeks off at Christmas.

Epic fail.

There is a reason substitutes exist. Teachers take time off all the time for personal reasons. I have two teachers in my family and they've never been denied leave for a personal request...family wedding, family birth, or just a week in LV. :cuckoo:

There may not be a requirement, I have no idea. But it is something Muslims feel compelled to do when they are able to afford it and when they are still living.

There's no farming over Christmas...:lol:. The schools could easily accommodate the farming season by eliminating the two weeks off at Christmas.

Epic fail.

More stupidity by you the 2 weeks is for Teachers ( whom work most of those days) to prepare for the new Semester. Fucking RETARD.

Forum List

Back