Seasonal flu and Novel H1N1 Vaccination Recommendations

Unfortunately it looks like the swine flu is back. Heard on the radio this morning that sadly there have already been fatalities (in Texas) related to the swine flu (H1N1).

Never had a flu shot and never will.

Me neither. Same with pneumonia vacs. Couldn't pay me to get either.

But, if you always get a flu vac, you should probably continue to get them.

Reason, you've never let your body build its own immunity. As the viruses continue to mutate and get stronger you likely will have even fewer defenses.

Just as with antibiotics, if you take them, you need them. After years of working with wild animals, I've taken way too many antibiotics. Luckily, I've been vegetarian for 30+ years.

I always make a point of asking doctors, nurses if they get either and interestingly, most say they don't.

Granny says to avoid kissin' chickens onna beak...
:redface:
New China Bird Flu a Reminder of Mutant Virus Risk
February 04, 2014 — The death of a woman in China from a strain of bird flu previously unknown in humans is a reminder of the ever-present potential pandemic threat from mutating animal viruses, scientists said on Wednesday.
The new strain, called H10N8, has so far infected only two people - a fatal case in a 73-year-old and another in a woman who is critically ill in hospital. But the fact it has jumped from birds to humans is an important warning, they said. “We should always be worried when viruses cross the species barrier from birds or animals to humans, as it is very unlikely that we will have prior immunity to protect us,” said Jeremy Farrar, director of Wellcome Trust and an expert on flu. “We should be especially worried when those viruses show characteristics that suggest they have the capacity to replicate easily or to be virulent or resistant to drugs. This virus ticks several of these boxes and therefore is a cause for concern.”

Chinese authorities last week confirmed a second human case of H10N8 which was reported for the first known time in humans in December 2013. It has emerged as another new and often fatal strain of bird flu, called H7N9, has infected at least 286 people in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, killing around 60 of them.

3B966245-2F02-424D-BDA8-16EB09351364_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy9_cw0.jpg

Health officials in protective suits transport sacks of poultry as part of preventive measures against the H7N9 bird flu at a poultry market in Zhuji, Zhejiang province

Genetic Reassortment

Chinese scientists writing in The Lancet medical journal who conducted a genetic analysis on samples of the H10N8 virus from the woman who died said it was a new genetic reassortment of other strains of bird flu viruses, including one called H9N2 that is relatively well known in poultry in China. Somewhat worryingly, the virus - like H7N9 - has also evolved “some genetic characteristics that may allow it to replicate efficiently in humans”, said Yuelong Shu of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Beijing. According to the scientists' study of her case, the 73-year-old victim, from Nanchang City in eastern China, was admitted to hospital with fever and severe pneumonia on November 30, 2013. Despite being treated with antibiotic and antivirals, she deteriorated rapidly, developed multiple organ failure and died nine days after her symptoms first started.

Investigations found the woman had been at a live poultry market a few days before becoming infected. But no H10N8 virus was found in samples collected from the market, the scientists said, so the source of the infection remains unknown. Mingbin Liu from Nanchang City Center for Disease Control and Prevention added that the emergence of a second human case of H10N8 in a 55-year-old woman “is of great concern because it reveals that the H10N8 virus has continued to circulate and may cause more human infections in future”.

MORE

Yesterday, there was a "stimulating" discussion after the question was posed "Will you get a flu shot?"

I thought I would take this opportunity to summarize the CDC Recommendations as to whom should receive each type of vaccination: Seasonal Flu Vaccine and Novel H1N1 Vaccine.

These are recommendations. No one is forced to get a flu shot. No one is required to get a flu shot. None of the members of the Federal Death Panel played a role in determining these recommendations.

Here they are:

Seasonal Influenza Vaccine

People who should get the seasonal vaccine each year are:
  1. Children aged 6 months up to their 19th birthday
  2. Pregnant women
  3. People 50 years of age and older
  4. People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
  5. People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
  6. People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
    1. Health care workers
    2. Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
    3. Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

2009 H1N1 Vaccine

The groups recommended to receive the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine include:
  • Pregnant women because they are at higher risk of complications and can potentially provide protection to infants who cannot be vaccinated;
  • Household contacts and caregivers for children younger than 6 months of age because younger infants are at higher risk of influenza-related complications and cannot be vaccinated. Vaccination of those in close contact with infants younger than 6 months old might help protect infants by “cocooning” them from the virus;
  • Healthcare and emergency medical services personnel because infections among healthcare workers have been reported and this can be a potential source of infection for vulnerable patients. Also, increased absenteeism in this population could reduce healthcare system capacity;
  • All people from 6 months through 24 years of age
    • Children from 6 months through 18 years of age because cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza have been seen in children who are in close contact with each other in school and day care settings, which increases the likelihood of disease spread, and
    • Young adults 19 through 24 years of age because many cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza have been seen in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity, and they are a frequently mobile population; and,
  • Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from influenza.
Once the demand for vaccine for the prioritized groups has been met at the local level, programs and providers should also begin vaccinating everyone from the ages of 25 through 64 years. Current studies indicate that the risk for infection among persons age 65 or older is less than the risk for younger age groups. However, once vaccine demand among younger age groups has been met, programs and providers should offer vaccination to people 65 or older.

Who Should NOT Be Vaccinated (Both vaccines)

There are some people who should not get a flu vaccine without first consulting a physician. These include:
  • People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs.
  • People who have had a severe reaction to an influenza vaccination.
  • People who developed Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) within 6 weeks of getting an influenza vaccine.
  • Children less than 6 months of age (influenza vaccine is not approved for this age group), and
  • People who have a moderate-to-severe illness with a fever (they should wait until they recover to get vaccinated.)
Links...all this information is found on CDC.gov

(And finally...this thread is indended to be a PSA. I encourage discussion and questions regarding the recommendations, but flames about the evil intentions of the medical field are not appreciated)

I'm pregnant. I don't believe in vaccines.
I believe proper nutrition and lifestyle have greater advantages on your health than any man-made pharmaceutical.
Vaccines have been known to kill adults and children, but never has a healthy lifestyle been a cause for concern.
Remember: vaccines are chemicals being injected directly into your bloodstream. This bypasses all your body's defense systems that remove harmful toxins.
All these chemicals go directly to your brain, spinal cord, heart, and every organ in your body.

Consider this:
if breastfeeding occurred more often, less and less people would become sick, because they are receiving all their mother's antibodies that formula doesn't have. Breastfeeding is the biological norm, yet it is considered an inconvenience compared to formula feeding. This, however, is far from the truth.
Breast milk is alive; formula is dead.
whats-in-breastmilk-poster-canada.jpg

Breast Milk Contains Over 700 Bacteria Species
Top-Quality Breast Milk alive
Breastfeeding Benefits Your Baby s Immune System - HealthyChildren.org
Breastfeeding the Immune Response and Long-term Health
Immune factors in human milk KellyMom
The Newborn Immune System and Immunological Benefits of Breastmilk

Last edited:
/
Yesterday, there was a "stimulating" discussion after the question was posed "Will you get a flu shot?"

I thought I would take this opportunity to summarize the CDC Recommendations as to whom should receive each type of vaccination: Seasonal Flu Vaccine and Novel H1N1 Vaccine.

These are recommendations. No one is forced to get a flu shot. No one is required to get a flu shot. None of the members of the Federal Death Panel played a role in determining these recommendations.

Here they are:

2. Pregnant women
  6. People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
    1. Health care workers
    3. Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

2009 H1N1 Vaccine

• Pregnant women because they are at higher risk of complications and can potentially provide protection to infants who cannot be vaccinated;
  • Household contacts and caregivers for children younger than 6 months of age because younger infants are at higher risk of influenza-related complications and cannot be vaccinated. Vaccination of those in close contact with infants younger than 6 months old might help protect infants by “cocooning” them from the virus;
  • Healthcare and emergency medical services personnel because infections among healthcare workers have been reported and this can be a potential source of infection for vulnerable patients. Also, increased absenteeism in this population could reduce healthcare system capacity;
    • Children from 6 months through 18 years of age because cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza have been seen in children who are in close contact with each other in school and day care settings, which increases the likelihood of disease spread, and
    • Young adults 19 through 24 years of age because many cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza have been seen in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity, and they are a frequently mobile population; and,
  • Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from influenza.
Once the demand for vaccine for the prioritized groups has been met at the local level, programs and providers should also begin vaccinating everyone from the ages of 25 through 64 years. Current studies indicate that the risk for infection among persons age 65 or older is less than the risk for younger age groups. However, once vaccine demand among younger age groups has been met, programs and providers should offer vaccination to people 65 or older.

There are some people who should not get a flu vaccine without first consulting a physician. These include:
  • People who developed Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) within 6 weeks of getting an influenza vaccine.
  • Children less than 6 months of age (influenza vaccine is not approved for this age group), and
  • People who have a moderate-to-severe illness with a fever (they should wait until they recover to get vaccinated.)

(And finally...this thread is indended to be a PSA. I encourage discussion and questions regarding the recommendations, but flames about the evil intentions of the medical field are not appreciated)
Well, I'm over 50 and I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot or had the flu, or a cold. I believe in keeping my immune system strong and avoiding germs by washing my hands regularly. I also keep disinfectant gel on my desk and carry a small one in my purse. I always wash my hands as soon as I get home. I'm not obsessive about it: it's for a purpose. The main thing is to have a good immune system.

/

Here they are:

2. Pregnant women
    1. Health care workers

2009 H1N1 Vaccine

Well, I'm over 50 and I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot or had the flu, or a cold. I believe in keeping my immune system strong and avoiding germs by washing my hands regularly. I also keep the disinfectant gel on my desk and carry a small one in my purse. I always wash my hands as soon as I get home. I'm obsessive about it: it's for a purpose. The main thing is to have a good immune system.

Unless one of the susceptible groups like the very young, very old, first responder, or can't afford to get sick types, I'd avoid flu shots. So long as there's ANY question about their safety, why risk it.

I don't believe health comes in in a pill or vial.

Health doesn't. Cures do. :)
But with those chemical "cures", you are more likely to fix one problem and cause another.

Yes, but that's true of just about everything. Water's healthy for us as well, but too much can kill (water intoxication it's called.) Same with medicine proper, it's all basicly poison, a little can cure, too much will kill or harm. Key isn't avoidance, or use, but moderation.

I don't believe health comes in in a pill or vial.

That's my philosophy. If anything, we have too much health care in the US. The most common reason listed for doctor visitations is to seek treatment for colds and the flu. Ridiculous. You don't need a doctor to recover from that.

My gut fauna has been evolving for 25 years. That was the last time I took anti-biotics (or saw a doctor). I haven't had perfect health during that time span, but I've let my body heal itself without chemical aid. In the long run, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (unless you rely on constant pharmaceutical tinkering).

I got the flu when I was about 11 years old, then again when I was in my 20s and again when I was 30 something.

Every time it absolutely sucked and totally put me out of commission for days as I wallowed in complete misery.

Screw that!

I got the flu shot a few weeks ago.

I got a flu shot because it was a requirement for a job I'm doing at the hospital. I've never had one before. I didn't have any kind of side effects except that my arm was a little sore that night and the next day. I was a little concerned about it making me sick because that is one side effect, but I was fine thankfully. :)

Forum List

Back