self defense thread

The guy isn't dead, he was shot in the leg by this man, who apparently ran outside after him (in fear of his life!) and shot several times at the perp as the perp was getting into his car.

Luckily no innocent bystanders were harmed.

Vigilante justice is just wrong.

A father who was robbed while eating with his family took out his own gun and shot the suspect, Miami Police said.

It happened at about 1 p.m. Friday at the Burger King restaurant at Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast 17th Street, police said.

Suspect Robs Family at Miami Burger King, Then Man Shoots Him: Police | NBC 6 South Florida

Maybe I'm missing something here. The robbery was over and the man was walking out the door when the guy pulled out his gun and shot him? He risked engaging in a gunfight, with his family there, after the threat was over?

apparently there was witnesses that backed the fathers story

that it was self defense or he would be in jail as well

I don't know what the witnesses had to say, I only have the article to go by. That says the robber was on his way out the door. In fact, according to the article, the robber never even puled his piece, just flashed it. Unless there is other information not in the aritcle, I don't see the self-defense and I sure don't see a justification to engage in gunfire with innocent people (including his family) around.

Maybe I'm missing something here. The robbery was over and the man was walking out the door when the guy pulled out his gun and shot him? He risked engaging in a gunfight, with his family there, after the threat was over?

I don't know what the witnesses had to say, I only have the article to go by. That says the robber was on his way out the door. In fact, according to the article, the robber never even puled his piece, just flashed it. Unless there is other information not in the aritcle, I don't see the self-defense and I sure don't see a justification to engage in gunfire with innocent people (including his family) around.

obviously the witnesses said something in favor of the father

the news report said

the father feared for his life

the news report said

I see nothing obvious about it. In fact, the more I read this thing the more obvious it is to me it was not self-defense. When he shot the guy, he was outside the restaraunt. That means the father had to get up, leave his family, and follow the robber. That is not self-defense. He was really lucky no one got killed and no one else got hurt.

Who can object to a perp who is robbing people getting shot?

I don't much care for unrestricted gun\ ownership, I clearly must be a liberal in the minds of many of you here, but I certainly can't say I object to how this story ends.

And FWIW, I know damned well that no so-called liberals I know personally (and that's hundreds of them, folks..many of them very active in politics, too) would object to the ending of this story either.

Contrary to the straw man liberals so many of you wish for, very few liberals I know want to coddle REAL criminals.

the news report said

I see nothing obvious about it. In fact, the more I read this thing the more obvious it is to me it was not self-defense. When he shot the guy, he was outside the restaraunt. That means the father had to get up, leave his family, and follow the robber. That is not self-defense. He was really lucky no one got killed and no one else got hurt.

the video report i saw said the perp was still in burger king

I don't much care for unrestricted gun\ ownership, I clearly must be a liberal in the minds of many of you here, but I certainly can't say I object to how this story ends.

And FWIW, I know damned well that no so-called liberals I know personally (and that's hundreds of them, folks..many of them very active in politics, too) would object to the ending of this story either.

Contrary to the straw man liberals so many of you wish for, very few liberals I know want to coddle REAL criminals.

This isn't about the robber. This is about a guy who comes out of a BK and starts shooting. What if someone had been pulling into the lot with their family when it happened? What if the guy turned around and returned fire back into the restaraunt? This is about the innocent bystanders who could have been hurt or killed. If the man was not in immediate danger of his life or the lives of his family, he had no business pulling his weapon.

the news report said

the video report i saw said the perp was still in burger king

I can't see the video from this computer. Firewall issue. However, this is what the article says:

"The robber walked in, flashed his gun to the family, demanded their valuables, then headed for the door, according to police.

The father, fearing for his life, took out his gun and shot the suspect in the leg as he stood outside the restaurant, police said."

That means the robber's gun never came out and the shooting took place outside. Where is the self-defense? The robber had already left, he was no longer a threat.

This isn't about the robber. This is about a guy who comes out of a BK and starts shooting. What if someone had been pulling into the lot with their family when it happened? What if the guy turned around and returned fire back into the restaraunt? This is about the innocent bystanders who could have been hurt or killed. If the man was not in immediate danger of his life or the lives of his family, he had no business pulling his weapon.

Yeah, I understand that complaint and largely agree with it.

I was not responding to that aspect of the event.

I was responding to the outcome.

Which is, let's face it, is basically a happy ending.

The good guys won, the bad guy lost and in this case a gun was involved.

Could have been disasterous?

Yes, but this time it wasn't.

Agreed?

Last edited:

Screw all the "what if's" and look at the facts as we know them.

I would have shot the son-of-a-bitch too.

A father who was robbed while eating with his family took out his own gun and shot the suspect, Miami Police said.

It happened at about 1 p.m. Friday at the Burger King restaurant at Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast 17th Street, police said.

Suspect Robs Family at Miami Burger King, Then Man Shoots Him: Police | NBC 6 South Florida

With the robber shot and down, there was hardly a risk for a gunfight. That's why the most important aspect of self defense is not to give the assailant a second chance. If they are down, make sure they stay down.

Yeah, I understand that complaint and largely agree with it.

I was not responding to that aspect of the event.

I was responding to the outcome.

Which is, let's face it, is basically a happy ending.

The good guys won, the bad guy lost and in this case a gun was involved.

Could have been disasterous?

Yes, but this time it wasn't.

Agreed?

I have no sympathy for the robber. If he had died on the spot I would not shed a tear. I am concerned he was shot in the leg. I carry and if I pull on someone, the round is going center mass. If I hit the leg, it's because I missed. Which tells me this guy not only pulled when he didn't have to and unnecessarily endangered himself, his family and everyone around him - he couldn't shoot.

The bad guy lost. No disagreement. The good guy won? To be honest, it looks more like the fool got lucky but I don't see any good guy in this scenario.

the guy from burger king stopped a crime spree

the bad guy was on his second robbery of the day

The guy isn't dead, he was shot in the leg by this man, who apparently ran outside after him (in fear of his life!) and shot several times at the perp as the perp was getting into his car.

The "perp" was standing outside the restaurant.
He just took, what he thought to be, an easy target. How do we know he wouldn't come back in and/or try to take another?

And your version is more than slightly embellished:

The father, fearing for his life, took out his gun and shot the suspect in the leg as he stood outside the restaurant, police said.
The suspect, 36-year-old Travis Harris, jumped into a getaway Ford F-150 and took off, police said.

I am looking at the facts as they have been presented. I don't know what you are looking at.

the guy from burger king stopped a crime spree

the bad guy was on his second robbery of the day

I fail to see how that is relevant. Unless the guy was a cop.

This is not self defense. If you follow the thief outside to shoot him - it's NOT self defense.

I understand people's frustration with crime and how so many live in a state of almost constant fear. Those are the folks who applaud this.

I have serious reservations about this kind of stuff. I don't like to see shoot-outs on the street. Lot of innocent bystanders can get caught up in the crossfire. Very dangerous stuff.

The "perp" was standing outside the restaurant.
He just took, what he thought to be, an easy target. How do we know he wouldn't come back in and/or try to take another?

And your version is more than slightly embellished:

The father, fearing for his life, took out his gun and shot the suspect in the leg as he stood outside the restaurant, police said.
The suspect, 36-year-old Travis Harris, jumped into a getaway Ford F-150 and took off, police said.
I read that elsewhere, that he was getting into his truck when shot. He certainly had left the restaurant and it looks as if there was no self-defense involved.

Forum List

Back