self defense thread

The guy isn't dead, he was shot in the leg by this man, who apparently ran outside after him (in fear of his life!) and shot several times at the perp as the perp was getting into his car.

Luckily no innocent bystanders were harmed.

Vigilante justice is just wrong.

you mean like the vigilante justice being served on George Zimmerman?

Last I checked George Zimmerman is scheduled to be tried in a court of law by a jury of his peers.

>>>>

and there have been zero death threats, correct?

Attempted Armed Robber Shot, Killed

olice say the man who was shot Saturday night in an attempted armed robbery has died.

It happened on West Second Street between Broadway and Jefferson Street around 9:30pm.

Lexington Police say a man with a gun approached another man who was sitting in his car in an attempt to rob him. That's when, police say, the man who was being held up shot the attempted robber. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.

Police have not released either of the men's names, just that the shooting victim was a 54-year-old man.

"We have been looking for relatives but have not been able to find any," says Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn.

The official cause of death is multiple gun shot wounds.

Investigators say three shots were fired and two guns were recovered from the crime scene.

Police would not comment on whether or not one of the two guns was used in the shooting.

No charges have been filed yet but the investigation is ongoing.

Update: Attempted Armed Robber Shot, Killed | LEX18.com | Lexington, Kentucky

One of the comments there was:
Proof that Guns can hurt or kill people. Florida needs to follow Connecticut which has some of the nation’s toughest gun laws to protect people from being shot.

If someone said that on these boards I'd know they were being sarcastic, on the huffington post, I know that they mean it.

A TX resident was walking down the street at around 10:30pm after concluding an evening of shopping when a truck pulled up along side of him.

One of the occupants of the truck got out, pointed a gun at the resident and demanded he turn over all of his possessions.

After the would be victim heard the man inside the truck tell the other suspect to shoot him, the victim drew his own concealed handgun and opened fire on the suspected robber, who jumped back into the truck.

The victim managed to alert nearby police of the situation who detained the occupants of the truck. One of the occupants was suffering from gunshot wounds and was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the truck and a third passenger where taken into police custody and charges are pending.

The would be victim, who shot and killed the suspected robber, has not been charged with any crime.

Robber gunned down on Pasadena street - Houston Chronicle

A father who was robbed while eating with his family took out his own gun and shot the suspect, Miami Police said.

It happened at about 1 p.m. Friday at the Burger King restaurant at Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast 17th Street, police said.

Suspect Robs Family at Miami Burger King, Then Man Shoots Him: Police | NBC 6 South Florida

Maybe I'm missing something here. The robbery was over and the man was walking out the door when the guy pulled out his gun and shot him? He risked engaging in a gunfight, with his family there, after the threat was over?

Why do you think the threat was over?

I only have the article to go on. The robber was outside, therefore had left the immediate scene. Ergo, he was no longer an imminent threat. The father had to go after him in order to engage.

My objection to what he did has nothing to do with the robber. I could not care less what happened to the robber. If he died, he deserved it. But carrying a gun does not make you a crime fighter. The purpose of carrying is defense. Once you no longer have a need to defend, you no longer have a reason to use the gun. Once the robber had left the area, that need went away. By firing into the parking lot of a BK, the father was more of a direct hazard to the people in the area than the robber.

Maybe I'm missing something here. The robbery was over and the man was walking out the door when the guy pulled out his gun and shot him? He risked engaging in a gunfight, with his family there, after the threat was over?

Why do you think the threat was over?

The article from the OP indicates the family was inside the Burger King when the robbery took place. The robber left, thereby ending the threat. The father followed the perpetrator outside. Once the robber left the building the "threat" was over, but not the commission of the crime which the law authorized the father to attempt to stop.

"Self Defense"? No.

"Justifiable Use of Force"? Yes.

>>>>

This may not be true for the father, but for me the issue of legality is irrelevant. We are talking about the parking lot of a Burger King. I'm sure all of us has seen such parking lots, if not have been in one. Does anyone really think it would be unusual for small children to be present, teenagers talking on phones and not watching what is happening around them, parents talking to children? How much time do you think the father spent checking out the area to make sure it was clear before he shot at the robber?

It concerns me that this guy is being held out as some sort of hero. He isn't. He was cool right up to the point he started after the robber. At that point, he was a fool. It was only luck that someone besides the robber didn't get hurt. If it had been in some deserted area, that would be different. But a BK parking lot?

The owner of a business in Oroville, CA was fed up.

He had been robbed over a dozen times in the previous months.

Police had not been able to track down and capture the thief, despite surveillance camera footage showing one of the thefts happening.

The business owner, a concealed carry permit holder, decided to take action.

He camped out at his business and when he heard a noise, he lept into action, drawing his gun and holding the suspect at gunpoint until police arrived.

The suspect and another man were taken into custody in connection with the crime. At the suspect’s home police found some of the stolen merchandise.

This is another great example of a defensive gun use in which no shots were fired, no one was hurt and the bad guy ended up behind bars.

Oroville Business Owner Fights Back After String Of Burglaries, Catches Suspect « CBS Sacramento

Two armed men forced their way into a home in Fayetteville, NC.

They were met with armed resistance from the homeowner and a gun fight erupted.

When all of the shots had been fired both suspects fled the scene.

Both suspects were found dead from their injuries nearby.

One of the suspects is described as a 20 year old male and information on the suspect is not yet available.

Police say they are continuing to investigate.

Suspects dead after attempted home invasion in Fayetteville | MyFOX8.com

Forum List

Back