Self Driving Road Kill, Part 43,593

Computers already run all sorts of things, including many systems within cars.

While no driving software may ever be perfect, when one considers how many accidents and fatalities occur with human drivers, it seems obvious that computer-driven cars will end up being safer.
Not without human monitoring. Planes have been able to take off, fly and land themselves for years but never without a pilot aboard.

I was under the impression that, outside of takeoff and landing, modern planes pretty much can fly themselves.

Self-driving cars may not be ready for regular use yet, but I think they will get there.
Planes can take off and land automatically, too
Only with input by humans at the right time can some be landed, but not taken off. Airbus has a video on it. Stewardess in the flight simulator being talked down. She has to do a lot of things but they are just dial and switch inputs and the plane did the rest.

A lot simpler to land a plane than drive the LA freeways.
They can take off and land electronically, too, if allowed. Data can be input remotely and a plane's sensors can assess and process conditions.
There's a reason planes are not allowed to take off and land electronically.
Ever had your computer freeze?

I was under the impression that, outside of takeoff and landing, modern planes pretty much can fly themselves.

Self-driving cars may not be ready for regular use yet, but I think they will get there.
Only with input by humans at the right time can some be landed, but not taken off. Airbus has a video on it. Stewardess in the flight simulator being talked down. She has to do a lot of things but they are just dial and switch inputs and the plane did the rest.

They can take off and land electronically, too, if allowed. Data can be input remotely and a plane's sensors can assess and process conditions.
Do you know how many drones crash?

I'm not talking Best Buy drones.
I'm not condoning or endorsing pilotless airplanes. I'm just saying they can do it.
It's also possible to fall 3,000 feet and live too, the thread is about wanting to make road kill cars an everyday use by common people.

I enjoy driving my classic Maserati.
Driving should be fun.
The law suits are piling up against Tesla.
They will soon cause the company to file for bankruptcy.
Imagine the lawsuits if the Tesla had crashed into a dozen firemen standing at the back of the firetruck.
Worse yet; imagine if it crashed into a bunch of ANTIFA or black lives matter protesters!!

Not without human monitoring. Planes have been able to take off, fly and land themselves for years but never without a pilot aboard.

There's a reason planes are not allowed to take off and land electronically.
Ever had your computer freeze?
You’re preaching to the choir. I’m not for full automation, I’m just saying it’s possible.

This is real bad P.R .. I wonder if the public will now reject them no matter how good they will get in the future?

I think it was always going to have to be something which developed over time, no matter how well the cars performed in testing. That there have been some high profile problems and crashes doesn't help, of course, but self-driving cars are the kind of thing that probably need a generation which has grown up with their existence if they are going to catch on.

It's possible that they never will catch on, but I think eventually self-driving cars will become the norm. I think it will be decades before that is true, though.
Your great grandchildren will die of old age before computers stop having brain farts.

Computers already run all sorts of things, including many systems within cars.

While no driving software may ever be perfect, when one considers how many accidents and fatalities occur with human drivers, it seems obvious that computer-driven cars will end up being safer.

There are just way too many variables in driving a car for a computer to handle.
In the end lawsuits will do in self-driving cars.
The insurance will be too high for people to afford them.

Forum List

Back