Serious question - is air conditioning a human right?

HOWEVER, I see no reason not to give necessary aid to those in need.
Is ac necessary?

I think not

Could it prolong their life? Maybe, but that's not something they have a right to

Anology - if an inmate needs a kidney, should he be on the list for a transplant?
Is ac necessary?

To those listed, yes

Could it prolong their life? Maybe, but that's not something they have a right to

Really?

Were they sentenced to death?

Anology - if an inmate needs a kidney, should he be on the list for a transplant?
Why wouldn't he be?

again, when he was incarcerated, was it a death penalty?
So we disagree on this, I can live with that

Not providing modern advancements does not equate to carrying out a death sentence

And no convict should be in line for an organ transplant before a citizen that has not broken the law

Nothing will change my mind on this
Not providing modern advancements does not equate to carrying out a death sentence
It can, for those listed in the new law

And no convict should be in line for an organ transplant before a citizen that has not broken the law

He has as much right as anyone else to stay alive.

"Nothing will change my mind on this"

What a shame.

Here's a real-life fact, everyone dies. OK? You got that? These people made their choices, tough crap if they have less than optimal, comfortable living conditions. Plus, the sooner they die, the sooner the taxpayer has to quit paying for their upkeep.
do you think everyone in prison is a murderer and deserves death or maiming or great harm?

The ruling for AC was for the vulnerable that can be harmed or put in grave danger in excessive heat....they only have to cool the room for them, 88 degrees or below....88 degrees is still gosh awful hot, BUT these vulnerable will not be made sicker...or die from their rooms being 88.

I think it is reasonable to not kill these vulnerable to excessive heat or make them even sicker, the inmates that never received a death sentence for their crimes.

If it were my father or husband or uncle or brother etc and they were in jail and disabled or sick or old, I would not want or expect the prison/my government killing them for a crime that never had a death sentence for it.
Then provide comfort amenities in the infirmary. If your prisoners are sick, disabled, or infirm, they should already be resident in the infirmary.
Do you realize that many hotels/motels in the Southwest limit cooling in their rooms to 80 degrees, or so? If it's good enough for paying customers, then it's good enough for criminals.
Do you realize that many hotels/motels in the Southwest limit cooling in their rooms to 80 degrees, or so?

and the prison cut off is 88.
The infirmary cutoff should perhaps be 88. The rest of them, tough crap. They made their beds, let them lie in them.

So, you have no problem sentencing someone in on a fraud charge to death?
Nope. Crook should have considered possible consequences before defrauding someone else.

in a prison there are no choices, as there would be outside of prison....

outside of prison, someone without AC could go to a friend's house, an emergency room lobby, a walmart, a church or mall and get reprieve from the heat...

The judge's order was only for the sick, the disabled and the elderly who could die from the excessive heat in prison.... and we do not try to kill people in prison, unless they got the death penalty.... and we are not allowed to treat prisoners under our control with cruel and unusual punishment....

Just wondering, do you think it is inhumane to have dogs outdoors?

My wife and daughter think that animals have a right to be indoors, and despite my pointing out that OUTDOORS IS HOW THEY EVOLVED, they both insist it is cruel and inhumane to leave a dog outside.

roflmao
:D

I know plenty of dogs that live wonderful lives outdoors and with a dog house...

however, if it is excessively hot, and the shade of the doghouse still makes it 100 degrees inside, then yes, it would be cruel to leave them there...and they could die.

We do not have problems with any kind of 'heat' conditions up here, but we do have situations of extreme cold, and the news and talk of the town notes when conditions are like that and warns of such and everyone knows they have to bring their dogs inside Farm animals all are brought in to the barn, and wood stoves are burning for heat...

And yes, leaving the dogs outside in extreme cold would be cruel for most dogs...some could handle it perhaps, depending on the breed.

I see no difference with providing heat for prisoners in the extreme cold, as providing AC in the excessive heat...especially for the vulnerable.

Heat stroke or freezing to death,

6 or 1/2 dozen. :)

While I agree with putting the elderly and sick in AC, when our troops train at Ft Hood and other places, they often train in temperatures well over 110 f in the direct sunlight.

How do prisoners, and illegals while we are on the topic, deserve better treatment than our volunteer soldiers, sailors and airmen?
How do prisoners, and illegals while we are on the topic, deserve better treatment

Because the law, and the BIll of Rights demands it.

"I grew up in Dallas, so I guess the answer would be yes."

access to a/c, fans, swimming pools?

I'm kind of an old fart, and my family did not have AC until I was 14. My mom always had a window unit in her bedroom though, lol.
I grew up on the Southeast, no AC, lots of humidity and pretty high temps. We drank lots of water and hit the swimming hole by midday in the summer.

it's only for the vulnerable that could die from the heat wave or excessive heat. you are as the Bible describes the bad guys in the End Times, your thoughts and feelings and emotions for your fellow man are;

Waxed over cold!
Here's a real-life fact, everyone dies. OK? You got that? These people made their choices, tough crap if they have less than optimal, comfortable living conditions. Plus, the sooner they die, the sooner the taxpayer has to quit paying for their upkeep.
do you think everyone in prison is a murderer and deserves death or maiming or great harm?

The ruling for AC was for the vulnerable that can be harmed or put in grave danger in excessive heat....they only have to cool the room for them, 88 degrees or below....88 degrees is still gosh awful hot, BUT these vulnerable will not be made sicker...or die from their rooms being 88.

I think it is reasonable to not kill these vulnerable to excessive heat or make them even sicker, the inmates that never received a death sentence for their crimes.

If it were my father or husband or uncle or brother etc and they were in jail and disabled or sick or old, I would not want or expect the prison/my government killing them for a crime that never had a death sentence for it.
Then provide comfort amenities in the infirmary. If your prisoners are sick, disabled, or infirm, they should already be resident in the infirmary.
Do you realize that many hotels/motels in the Southwest limit cooling in their rooms to 80 degrees, or so? If it's good enough for paying customers, then it's good enough for criminals.
Do you realize that many hotels/motels in the Southwest limit cooling in their rooms to 80 degrees, or so?

Look, I don't mind them getting ac per se

My problem is that it is now court ordered and being called a "right"

it is a right.

again, look up cruel and unusual punishment

I'm kind of an old fart, and my family did not have AC until I was 14. My mom always had a window unit in her bedroom though, lol.
I grew up on the Southeast, no AC, lots of humidity and pretty high temps. We drank lots of water and hit the swimming hole by midday in the summer.
hit the swimming hole by midday in the summer.

Would you be ok with inmates getting swimming pools?

I grew up in Duncanville, Grande Praire and Arlington, and not a lot of swimming holes that one would want to swim in.

To fight the heat I took hot showers, then laid on the floor on a towel with the windows open and a fan set to high that blow on me. At night I laid on top of the bed covers and fed the skeeters while listening to country music till I nodded off.

Swimming hole, not pool. A bend in the local creek served as a swimming hole. I doubt many criminal prisoners have access to a bend in the creek. Does the prison in which they are incarcerated include a swimming pool? OK, then. Otherwise, turn the fire hoses on them. That's plenty of cooling water.

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

If regular people live in said conditions, how in the blooming hell is it unusual?

"Cruel AND unusual", dude.

Because, unlike the people you refer to, the inmates dont' have the wherewithal to escape the heat and humidity.

They can visit friends, they can go to a store with a/c and soak up the cold, they can take turns sticking their heads in the fridge.

You lost this argument 50 posts ago, and you're too hard headed to admit it

How is this in politics?
In answer to your question, NO!

I'm getting there, was hoping for a few people to chime in

To me, this is political, but I won't complain if it gets moved to current events:

Federal judge orders Texas prisons to provide A/C

quote:
In a searing 100-page rebuke of the Texas prison system, a federal judge Wednesday ordered state officials to provide air-conditioned living quarters for elderly, disabled and other heat-sensitive inmates at the Pack Unit northwest of Houston.

The judge's ruling — which chastises prison officials for "obstruction" and "deliberate indifference" to inmate suffering — gives the state 15 days to draft a plan to ensure that 475 vulnerable inmates have living units cooled to no more than 88 degrees and that 1,000 others have easy access to indoor respite areas. The prison must also develop a heat-wave policy to prevent further injuries and install insect-proof window screens.

Why stop at prisoners, shouldn't everyone have the same rights to free A/C?

I agree with the Fed judge.

NO.

I grew up in Duncanville, Grande Praire and Arlington, and not a lot of swimming holes that one would want to swim in.

To fight the heat I took hot showers, then laid on the floor on a towel with the windows open and a fan set to high that blow on me. At night I laid on top of the bed covers and fed the skeeters while listening to country music till I nodded off.
But, were you afforded your human right to AC?

NO.

Good, neither am I.

But, you escaped the heat by hitting the swimming pool, or the local river.

The only escape these inmates have is death, or pardon.

YOu would rather sentence them to death, than give them a little help.

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

If regular people live in said conditions, how in the blooming hell is it unusual?

"Cruel AND unusual", dude.

Because, unlike the people you refer to, the inmates dont' have the wherewithal to escape the heat and humidity.

They can visit friends, they can go to a store with a/c and soak up the cold, they can take turns sticking their heads in the fridge.

You lost this argument 50 posts ago, and you're too hard headed to admit it
BS. They gave up the ability to visit friends, go to the store, etc, when they decided to break the law. They made a choice. It sucks they can't access things others do, but that's tough shit. They made their choice, now they should live with the consequences of their choices.

He has as much right as anyone else to stay alive.
He has a right to live, but a kidney transplant?

Seriously?

I could maybe soften on the AC for the infirm, hell, I would provide it (still don't think it should be mandated)

But a transplant? On taxpayer dime?

I mean if EVERY free person that needs one gets one 1st and it can be paid for privately - fine

But as a right? SMH

it's only for the vulnerable that could die from the heat wave or excessive heat. you are as the Bible describes the bad guys in the End Times, your thoughts and feelings and emotions for your fellow man are;

Waxed over cold!

Look, I don't mind them getting ac per se

My problem is that it is now court ordered and being called a "right"

With that I can agree, it is not a right.

Forum List

Back