Seven Reasons the Millennial Generation is Financially Doomed

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Both of my kids attended college and none of them took student loans to do it.

They worked their asses off instead.

7 Reasons Millennials are Financially Doomed - Breitbart

As the smartest and, possibly, poorest generation in our nation’s history, Millennials will soon have their day of reckoning. Here are the key issues threatening our generation, that we hope the next administration will tackle, so that we, too, can live the American Dream.

1. Colleges are robbing students.

College tuition costs have skyrocketed by over 500 percent since 1985. As long as schools continue to tell young people that a degree will guarantee them a better future, they’ll keep footing the bill. The government helps them load up on debt – and leaves them with little to no help after the fact. ....

4. We’re kept financially illiterate by a broken education system.

One of the most indebted generations in American history is also the least equipped to manage its debt. Only 24 percent of Millenials qualify as financially literate, according toPWC and half expect that they wouldn’t be able to handle an emergency bill of $2,000.

Few colleges and fewer high schools teach pocketbook economics. No wonder we’re slaves to the system.

5. The government puts up roadblocks to starting our own businesses.

Despite the majority of Millennials and college students indicating that they want to start their own business at some point, the number of actual entrepreneurs is going down. The share of new entrepreneurs between the ages of 20 and 34 declined by 12% when compared to the same demographic in 1996.

According to the Manhattan Institute, one of the biggest barriers to new business creation among those under 30 is the mountain of federal, state and local regulations.

Without modernizing government regulations to encourage new startups, we’re likely to see entrepreneurship continue to decline. We’ll also have less chances of making money driving an Uber or renting out a room on Airbnb, as the taxi and hotel industries and regulators crack down on innovation.

6. Not only does government stop us from working, it takes what little cash we may have.

Politicians use Millennials to pay for programs such as Social Security and Medicare that would otherwise be insolvent. The amount of debt held by the public will be more that 79 percent of GDP by 2024, when Millennials will make up most of the labor force. To pay for that debt, taxes will have to rise.

The think tank Demos calls this “generational theft.”

7. Of course, in the end, politicians don’t care about us. We’re, um, fkd.

A survey from GenFKD confirms our suspicions: Presidential candidates don’t discuss the issues important to America’s largest eligible voting demographic, millennials.

When asked whether or not the presidential candidates were addressing the issues close to them, roughly 86 percent, all aged 18 to 34, reported feeling ignored.

Speak for yourself. I am going to college, as well as working full time. And I see a lot of the kids doing the same. As well as many of the kids taking classes and working as apprentice millwright and electricians.

Now, one candidate has addressed this very issue, and that is Bernie Sanders. And your 'Conservatives' have completely damned the idea.

That PWC publication hit home for me the financial knowledge divide between Millenials and their parents and grandparents. I've included it in discussion with my younger friends as well as some recommendations for financial advisers :)

As the smartest and, possibly, poorest generation in our nation’s history, Millennials will soon have their day of reckoning. Here are the key issues threatening our generation, that we hope the next administration will tackle, so that we, too, can live the American Dream.

College tuition costs have skyrocketed by over 500 percent since 1985. As long as schools continue to tell young people that a degree will guarantee them a better future, they’ll keep footing the bill. The government helps them load up on debt – and leaves them with little to no help after the fact. ....

One of the most indebted generations in American history is also the least equipped to manage its debt. Only 24 percent of Millenials qualify as financially literate, according toPWC and half expect that they wouldn’t be able to handle an emergency bill of $2,000.

Few colleges and fewer high schools teach pocketbook economics. No wonder we’re slaves to the system.

Despite the majority of Millennials and college students indicating that they want to start their own business at some point, the number of actual entrepreneurs is going down. The share of new entrepreneurs between the ages of 20 and 34 declined by 12% when compared to the same demographic in 1996.

According to the Manhattan Institute, one of the biggest barriers to new business creation among those under 30 is the mountain of federal, state and local regulations.

Without modernizing government regulations to encourage new startups, we’re likely to see entrepreneurship continue to decline. We’ll also have less chances of making money driving an Uber or renting out a room on Airbnb, as the taxi and hotel industries and regulators crack down on innovation.

6. Not only does government stop us from working, it takes what little cash we may have.

Politicians use Millennials to pay for programs such as Social Security and Medicare that would otherwise be insolvent. The amount of debt held by the public will be more that 79 percent of GDP by 2024, when Millennials will make up most of the labor force. To pay for that debt, taxes will have to rise.

A survey from GenFKD confirms our suspicions: Presidential candidates don’t discuss the issues important to America’s largest eligible voting demographic, millennials.

When asked whether or not the presidential candidates were addressing the issues close to them, roughly 86 percent, all aged 18 to 34, reported feeling ignored.

Your kids are so awesome!

Speak for yourself. I am going to college, as well as working full time. And I see a lot of the kids doing the same. As well as many of the kids taking classes and working as apprentice millwright and electricians.

Dude, I did speak for myself.

Now, one candidate has addressed this very issue, and that is Bernie Sanders. And your 'Conservatives' have completely damned the idea.

So do you know how he plans to pay for all that free college tuition?

Your kids are so awesome!

Yes, they are.

But I wish my son had finished college. He got to making too much money and dropped out and went full time!

I guess all things cut both ways.

They are doomed because they expect to be taken care of, close minded and object to any criticism. The little snowflakes need "safe places"....the parents of these worthless toads should be ashamed, they have failed their children

I can give you the only answer you need.....democrats.

Meh those of us who ensured our kids were not raised that way should look at the bright side - our kid's financial futures are practically guaranteed secure because they're going to smoke the competition in nearly every field.

Also, I have two "idiot" children that blew off college myself, both are making far too much money now (22 and 21) to "take time out of their work" for it. They've both got like maybe a year of college >.<

Forum List

Back