Sex Offenders in Florida now have Warning Signs outside of their Homes

It actually notifies a neighborhood that it's being used to house a criminal because the state won't do it for them.

I seriously doubt those minor types of sex offender crimes merit a notification sign because they would be misdemeanor offenses.

It's the convicted felony pedophiles and rapists that need a sign in front of their house. .. :cool:

I don't see any distinction being made. What I see is a sign for a "registered sex offender" which could be misdemeanor or felony. And even if you're right, these things never stop at the worst extremes. Sooner or later they grow until they encompass the entire field.

These signs are for ANY sex offender.

Offenders/Predators are completely different in Florida.

Shit it sounds like I'm defending them. I just think this sign thing is stupid and they're focusing in the wrong place.

These signs are for ANY sex offender.

Offenders/Predators are completely different in Florida.

Shit it sounds like I'm defending them. I just think this sign thing is stupid and they're focusing in the wrong place.

Editing

The MSM said all sex offenders.

FDLE say PREDATOR only.

The signs are only for sexual predators, not for all sex offenders, Brad Smith said. Florida defines a sexual predator as someone who has been convicted of a first-degree sex crime such as child molestation or sexual battery or has been convicted of two second-degree sex crimes such as solicitation of a minor or lewd, lascivious, or indecent assault. A judge also can designate a person a sex predator.

Okay put the signs up!

The pigs should stick to law enforcement and stop wasting time with asinine bullshit such as this. By what authority were they given the right to post those signs?
STORAGE NAME: h3107s1.cp
DATE: February 12, 1998
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
BILL #: CS/HB 3107
RELATING TO: SEXUAL PREDATOR REGISTRATION
SPONSOR(S): REPRESENTATIVES FASANO AND EFFMAN
COMPANION BILL(S): SB 514(S)
ORIGINATING COMMITTEE(S)/COMMITTEE(S) OF REFERENCE:
(1) CRIME AND PUNISHMENT YEAS 8 NAYS 0

I. SUMMARY:

Section 775.21, F.S. is known as the Florida Sexual Predators Act. It designates
certain serious or repeat sex offenders as “sexual predators” requiring them to submit
to pervasive registration requirements which assist law enforcement and the
community to know of their presence and, thereby, reduce the likelihood that they will
offend again.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/1998/House/bills/analysis/pdf/HB3107S1.CP.pdf

Bumping this post because it explains those that get the signs.

Creating the illusion of security is dangerous. People will actually believe these signs protect them.

If I'd have just read your genius post before I started posting.

This is a great point and one I was sort of trying to make.

However, it is predators, that is very specific.

That's a "see the red sign? no trick or treating there!"

The pigs should stick to law enforcement and stop wasting time with asinine bullshit such as this. By what authority were they given the right to post those signs?
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

I. SUMMARY:

Section 775.21, F.S. is known as the Florida Sexual Predators Act. It designates
certain serious or repeat sex offenders as “sexual predators” requiring them to submit
community to know of their presence and, thereby, reduce the likelihood that they will
offend again.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/1998/House/bills/analysis/pdf/HB3107S1.CP.pdf

That.

They need to focus on that mandatory sentencing. The word 'repeat" should never be in that phrase.

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

I. SUMMARY:

offend again.

I notice that a person convicted of Lewd or Lascivious Conduct twice constitutes a sexual predator. From my reading of the relevant law, this means that an 18 year old can engage in whatever Florida classifies as lewd or lascivious behavior with a 15 year old and be a sexual predator, get one of these signs, and be stuck with it for a minimum of 20 years. That includes a lot of things, including things with zero physical contact. In fact, at the end of the statute, they felt the need to clarify that breast-feeding cannot count as lewd or lascivious behavior.

I think that some of you may be under a false impression of just what can be considered sexual predation.

Here's the Lewd or Lascivious Conduct statute if you're interested.
800.04 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

This seems like a bs sop to the public. If the offenders are truly so dangerous, why aren't they still imprisoned? This is as much as admitting that the penal system is releasing dangerous criminals back into the public. Why?

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

I. SUMMARY:

offend again.

I notice that a person convicted of Lewd or Lascivious Conduct twice constitutes a sexual predator. From my reading of the relevant law, this means that an 18 year old can engage in whatever Florida classifies as lewd or lascivious behavior with a 15 year old and be a sexual predator, get one of these signs, and be stuck with it for a minimum of 20 years. That includes a lot of things, including things with zero physical contact. In fact, at the end of the statute, they felt the need to clarify that breast-feeding cannot count as lewd or lascivious behavior.

I think that some of you may be under a false impression of just what can be considered sexual predation.

Here's the Lewd or Lascivious Conduct statute if you're interested.
800.04 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

This seems like a bs sop to the public. If the offenders are truly so dangerous, why aren't they still imprisoned? This is as much as admitting that the penal system is releasing dangerous criminals back into the public. Why?

Convicted of a first-degree sex crime such as child molestation or sexual battery or has been convicted of two second-degree sex crimes such as solicitation of a minor or lewd, lascivious, or indecent assault.

So knock it off the first time.

:thup:

There are many problems with this bull shit but imo, the biggest is that it takes so little these days to be labeled a sex offender for one's WHOLE LIFE.

Fact: People who have gone streaking at public gatherings like ball games, have been labeled sex offenders. What used to be a humorous fad, will now get you one of these signs in your yard for the rest of your life.

Not to mention those signs make no distinction and the public see's the label "sex offender" and immediately thinks pedophile regardless of offense.

It's very dangerous to single people for violence or shunning like that. Not good.

i googled Bradford, FL--somewhere around Gainesville and also the location of several prisons, iirc.

it will not be happening in my community, I know that.

I have googled crime stats and learned that sex offenders of some kind live near me.

Something like this would be detrimental to property owners--wouldn't be supported.

Why aren't predators in prison where they belong?

Yeah, that was part of my point earlier.

The legislation needs to be the focus.

This helps. This little girl's dad is a Florida hero.

The law is named after Jessica Lunsford, a young Florida girl who was sexually battered and murdered in February 2005 by John Couey, a previously convicted sex offender. Public outrage over this case spurred Florida officials to introduce this legislation. Among the key provisions of the law was classifying lewd or lascivious molestation on a person under the age of 12 as a life felony, and a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison.[1] and lifetime electronic monitoring[2] of adults convicted of lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim less than 12 years old. The statute also requires that if an offender is sentenced to a term of years, he or she must be given lifetime probation following the imprisonment. In Florida, another charge, capital sexual battery is defined as: A person 18 years of age or older who commits sexual battery upon, or in an attempt to commit sexual battery injures the sexual organs of, a person less than 12 years of age commits a capital felony. The charge carries a mandatory life sentence.[3]

i googled Bradford, FL--somewhere around Gainesville and also the location of several prisons, iirc.

it will not be happening in my community, I know that.

I have googled crime stats and learned that sex offenders of some kind live near me.

Something like this would be detrimental to property owners--wouldn't be supported.

It may be very politically popular in certain counties. If they like it, they get it. I don't see it as true deterrent and can see several negatives---- but it ain't my county.

Forum List

Back