🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Shortage of 400,000 welders predicted in next 4 years

Aletheia4u

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2017
Pres.Trump is creating more jobs as usual. I guess that we all will soon get tired of all of these jobs he's creating

th
Industrial welder is a good paying career. The jobs start off paying around $30 to $50 per hour. And the course to be a welder is very simple. And if you get all of your certifications. You will not have any problem finding a job in that area. And if the job market slows down. You can easy find a job working temporarily at a muffler shop or wrought iron store until things picks up.

th
3jmbql.gif
TAMPA, Fla. - Big companies flock to Hillsborough Community College to woo students in the welding program. The stakes are high for welding recruiters.

"By the year 2024, we'll be over 400,000 shortage of welders in the United States," says Randy Kelley with Tampa Tank Inc. He says the industry is evolving. "One of the things that's been really big in the welding industry is the introduction of robotics."

That's where H.C.C. stays ahead of the curve. Administrators are putting advances in technology at the forefront of the curriculum. Lead welding instructor Logan Harry says today's welder needs to be more tech-savvy.

"We are buying new equipment. The industry is telling us the need and then we are providing the student with that ability," he explained.

Student Samuel Serrano says that type of hands-on, tech-based experience is hard to come by in a classroom setting.

"We even have a submerged arc welder that we've learned on, which is a semi-automated process that a lot of technical schools don't even touch on," he said.

It's not just the H.C.C. welding department keeping up with the times. Diesel technician student Bianca Melendez says you can't go far in the industry without a solid technology background.

"Maybe back in the day it was a possibility, but now everything is electrical. Everything is computer-based now," she offered.

Robert Half Recruiting's Michael Clemens says its education that's preparing students for a wealth of opportunity.

"Right now, it’s just this super-intense job market for technology. Employers who are moving quickly on hiring decisions are reaping the benefit of getting the top talent in our community."

Hillsborough Community College grads aren't having any problems finding jobs. The welding program boasts a job placement rate of 80% and the diesel tech program is at 100%.

There is already a shortage of pipefitters in some areas of the country. A lot of people desire and think they can remain in cushy office jobs producing nothing more than paper and are entitled to make as much as a trades person who generally wrecks their health while doing those jobs and retires earlier. That ain't gonna fly for too long though because paper just ain't edible and it won't keep the water and resources flowing.

Get at it ! Welders in the south can make almost $2/hr more than a french fry chef in Jew Yakk !!!
And those who refuse to pay them what they are worth get what they pay for, crappy craftsmanship.

I don't believe there is a blue collar trade that isn't short of workers. If it requires getting your hands dirty, most people don't want to do it, but they will howl about their low wages.

I'm a union carpenter, and my wage today is 35 bucks an hour with excellent benefits. If you think the pay for blue collar workers is high now, just wait 20 years when the worker shortages will be CRITICAL. They will be able to right their own ticket.

Mark

I don't believe there is a blue collar trade that isn't short of workers. If it requires getting your hands dirty, most people don't want to do it, but they will howl about their low wages.

I'm a union carpenter, and my wage today is 35 bucks an hour with excellent benefits. If you think the pay for blue collar workers is high now, just wait 20 years when the worker shortages will be CRITICAL. They will be able to right their own ticket.

Mark
But they still wont be able to RIGHT their own resumes, rendering them HD lumberyard helpers

Mark
But they still wont be able to RIGHT their own resumes, rendering them HD lumberyard helpers

And?

Mark

Pres.Trump is creating more jobs as usual. I guess that we all will soon get tired of all of these jobs he's creating

th
Industrial welder is a good paying career. The jobs start off paying around $30 to $50 per hour. And the course to be a welder is very simple. And if you get all of your certifications. You will not have any problem finding a job in that area. And if the job market slows down. You can easy find a job working temporarily at a muffler shop or wrought iron store until things picks up.

th
3jmbql.gif
TAMPA, Fla. - Big companies flock to Hillsborough Community College to woo students in the welding program. The stakes are high for welding recruiters.

"By the year 2024, we'll be over 400,000 shortage of welders in the United States," says Randy Kelley with Tampa Tank Inc. He says the industry is evolving. "One of the things that's been really big in the welding industry is the introduction of robotics."

That's where H.C.C. stays ahead of the curve. Administrators are putting advances in technology at the forefront of the curriculum. Lead welding instructor Logan Harry says today's welder needs to be more tech-savvy.

"We are buying new equipment. The industry is telling us the need and then we are providing the student with that ability," he explained.

Student Samuel Serrano says that type of hands-on, tech-based experience is hard to come by in a classroom setting.

"We even have a submerged arc welder that we've learned on, which is a semi-automated process that a lot of technical schools don't even touch on," he said.

It's not just the H.C.C. welding department keeping up with the times. Diesel technician student Bianca Melendez says you can't go far in the industry without a solid technology background.

"Maybe back in the day it was a possibility, but now everything is electrical. Everything is computer-based now," she offered.

Robert Half Recruiting's Michael Clemens says its education that's preparing students for a wealth of opportunity.

"Right now, it’s just this super-intense job market for technology. Employers who are moving quickly on hiring decisions are reaping the benefit of getting the top talent in our community."

Hillsborough Community College grads aren't having any problems finding jobs. The welding program boasts a job placement rate of 80% and the diesel tech program is at 100%.
I’m sure all the unemployed Gender Studies grads will have to Google up welding to see what they’re missing.

Mark

Yup. Loads of people waste their time and money going to college when a trade would make them a much better living.

Welder, mason's, pipers, plumbers and electricians. These guys make big bucks and are always in demand.

Yup. Loads of people waste their time and money going to college when a trade would make them a much better living.

Welder, mason's, pipers, plumbers and electricians. These guys make big bucks and are always in demand.

That's what I was just about to point out. One reason for this shortage is a failure of our education system. We still have an education system designed around pushing everybody into college when most people aren't cut out for college as opposed to providing vocational education that could help a lot of non-college bound people get good careers

Mark

Our children hear all of their lives that if they do not go to college they will never make any money. This is somewhat true. However, people skilled in the trades are the ones who build and maintain our country. They are essential.

Some of the politicians who are calling for free college are including trade schools. We just don't have enough people who can do things.

th

th
3jmbql.gif

For democrats the downside of a $50 an hour welding job is that you have show up and actually weld something

welfare is a much better deal for them

Skilled trades are good. $30 per hour is on the low side of a job that one will work hard for but that can lead to $60 per hour which allows one to make it to today's middle class. Anything less is kinda lower class.

I can weld but I am horrible at it. I tried to get a job with Kubota few years back and I just couldn't do the lines small and clean enough lol. This is good for high school students because SOME places do offer welding.

We have several high schools here in Vegas where the trades are taught.

Tough to get in and need to maintain good academic grades to stay.

Have good-paying jobs before they get their diplomas.

Parents need to demand these across the nation.

I question the $50 per hour as average though. Union, maybe including benefits but how many jobs are union anymore thanks to Reagan and the union hating republicans? I learned welding in a Texas trade school back in the 60's but eventually left the trade having been diagnosed with glaucoma.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back