Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

Businesses discriminate continually on people's choices every day.. and rightfully so.. airlines do not have to cave to the overly obese by offering a seat to fit a 800 pound person.. you can throw out people for behavior from any establishment.. you can refuse to sell food to your competitor.. you can prevent people dressed in ways you do not like from coming in to your business... the list goes on

By opening a business and selling goods (or services) to the public, are you claiming that folks will not be bound by local and federal laws and regulations?

I can cook a meal in a private kitchen that hasn't been checked out by the health inspector and legally share it with my friends, but I can't do that if I were to sell it to strangers in a business setting.

I am saying that the 'gay rights' crowd is now looking for protected status... forcing others to do services they want... and that is against the freedoms afforded to persons and businesses.. refusal to do business with is not the same as following pasteurization laws, cleanliness laws, etc

It's okay to refuse to perform services, just make sure your refusal is politically correct.

3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake - US news - Weird news | NBC News

Is there any reason why one bakery is allowed to make a decision as to what kind of cake they will bake and another bakery denied that right?

Yeah -- gays are a protected class in some areas. Generic run-of-the mill white people are not.

From what I've been reading, people could be allowed to deny services to the KKK because the members aren't a protected class.

But I've heard somewhat conflicting opinions -- I'm not sure if it would be legal to deny services to someone because they were a Republican.

Maybe that also depends on where you live.

Would gay bakers be allowed to refuse to provide cupcakes to Cub Scouts to protest the BSA's ongoing ban of homosexual scout leaders?

Some gay organizers etc are into making questioning, opposing or whatever gays a 'hate crime'.
Which is why the news on Bob Schieffer's program in the first post in this thread is not at all a surprise.

If we truly have freedom in this country, then a business should be able to refuse to sell its products to anyone it chooses, for whatever reason it chooses--------but we do not have true freedom and we all know it.

Their moral argument is the same as that of segregation. They are impugning and denigrating those that disagree with them, comparing us to Bull O'Connor.

Ralph Reed Smacks Down Rachel Maddow for Claiming Same-Sex Marriage Opponents Are Pro-Discrimination | NewsBusters

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

People should and can be oppose to anything they are not comfortable with. Be it a Gay marriage or a serial killer wanting to buy flowers for one of their victims.

So, operating a business limits my rights?

These people are off the charts nuts....

Yes it does since you have chosen to offer a public accommodation, i.e., to provide goods and/or services to the public,

you have chosen to subject yourself to any lawful restrictions or prohibitions on your desire to discriminate.

Again.. no it does not limit your rights.. including the right to refusal.. go walk into a restaurant with nothing but boxer shorts on.. and go claim discrimination

now.. a business must take accountability for any impact their policies may have on their business, but businesses can and do discriminate on behavior and choices every day, and rightfully so

In parts of San Francisco it was perfectly normal for a grown man to walk around nude and wag his dick in the face of a five year old. It is normal for someone to pull down their pants, squat and take a dump on the sidewalk.

Really - That would be 'normal' in some parts of San Francisco (a naked grown man waving his member in front of a child) before taking a dump on the sidewalk?

I'd like to google this and verify; can you send me the location(s) on a map perhaps with some evidence?

Public nudity was banned in San Francisco not long ago because the situation in the Castro district had become so extreme.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/us/san-francisco-officials-vote-to-ban-public-nudity.html

Ripoff Report | To all "Public Nudity" perverts in the City of San Francisco, California. Complaint Review San Francisco, California: 972194

Surely you knew that until very recently public defecation was legal in San Francisco.

Street Science: The Poop on Your Sidewalk, Part I | Mission Loc@l
Not many people move to one of the most beautiful cities in the world and expect to find poop on the sidewalk. But I had received warning that this was something that I could expect from San Francisco

These rules are naturally being fought by those who want a homeless bill of rights.
California Unveils ?Homeless Bill of Rights?, Right to Public Urination | FrontPage Magazine

Admittedly the new law purports to protect only public urination and urination on private property but the reality is, the protection will extend to public elimination of all kinds.

All along, the homosexual lobby has been comparing the plight of the American homosexuals to that of the American Civil Right Movement. They believe it is completely synonomous, and thus individuals and businesses making the decision to simply not provide support or services to a gay wedding is paramount to segregation.

Keep in mind that the homosexual population is 1-4% of the population. We are redefining an institution whose soul purpose is to protect children and give legal obligation to men and women who have children--all on the demands of 1-4% of the population. It is not enough to give civil unions, allowing homosexual couples the same benefits as a marriage, they demand we redefine the entire definition of the word.

The left has been waging a war, literally, against the institution of marriage since the 60's. Little by litte, court decision after court decision, inch by inch--chipping away at the foundations of marriage. Having a child out of wedlock had legal consequences once upon a time. A man had no right to a child outside of marriage, and a woman had no right to that man's finances. That court decision opened the flood gates, leading to adoption numbers to drop drastically from the 60's to present day.

As a straight man, will I not be allowed all of the same rights and benefits of heterosexual marriage after gays are too allowed to marry under federal/local law?

Will some of my privileges be going away?

No, but you would not give those same rights to a polygamist. Why discriminate against them? Thats the point, once the door is opened everyone must be let in.

I wouldn't? Not sure if I'm forgetting, but did we have a conversation where I stated that I would not be willing to extend those marriage rights to polygamists?

I could care less if polygamists were allowed to marry and that marriage would recognized under federal law. Doesn't affect me in any way.

I will say though that you are comparing apples to oranges with regards to the fact that you're now defining marriage to be between more than 2 human individuals. Again, have no objections from an ethical perspective, but this brings to the table a whole slew of additional issues such as insurance (if a man has 8 wives, will a company be forced to insure them all?) and social security, etc, etc.

No. no one should be forced into doing anything. Whether it is a business supplying services to a gay marriage, a doctor performing an abortion, a person being forced to say a prayer in school. With freedom of choice to live your life as you choose, you do not get the right to force someone else to be part of what you choose. They maintain the same freedoms of choice

There are eighteen states where refusing to do business with gays is already illegal.

Why should it be illegal to choose who you sell your products to? If I have a business and decide that I will only sell to cajuns with one arm and a last name beginning with L, that should be my right, it would serverly limit my customer base and I would probably go out of business, but no government should make that illegal

what part of the word FREEDOM do you not understand?

I am saying that the 'gay rights' crowd is now looking for protected status... forcing others to do services they want... and that is against the freedoms afforded to persons and businesses.. refusal to do business with is not the same as following pasteurization laws, cleanliness laws, etc

It's my understanding that if you're a photographer, or wedding planner, etc, you can refuse service to any couple you want. You don't have to plan someone's wedding if you don't want to, just because they called your number.

You might get in trouble if you say specifically you're refusing service because they're black, or because they're gay, but no one is forcing the vendor to cite a reason - am I correct?

There are eighteen states where refusing to do business with gays is already illegal.

If disagreeing with homosexual marriage is paramount to bigotry then at what point is the furor of the homosexual lobby going to be focused at Christian Churches?

The President has promised churches will not be forced to go along with this madness, but this administration has already shown that it does not respect the religious freedom of Christian institutions--forcing Catholic institutions and businesses to provide funds for contraceptives and abortion causing drugs.

It's my understanding that if you're a photographer, or wedding planner, etc, you can refuse service to any couple you want. You don't have to plan someone's wedding if you don't want to, just because they called your number.

You might get in trouble if you say specifically you're refusing service because they're black, or because they're gay, but no one is forcing the vendor to cite a reason - am I correct?

Then why are we making someone lie about why they don't want to provide a service?

Unless the service is somehow linked to a government service, a person should be able to deny any customer they want. hell private businesses should be able to hire anyone they want and deny hiring anyone they want, as long as thier policy is public.

Gays believe they should have the right to refuse to perform services for normals.

Creative Minority Report: Gay Bar Refuses Straights

It's sometimes okay for a normal to go to a gay business as long as they are willing to act gay.

An Etiquette Guide for Straight People in Gay Bars | VICE United States

That's so incredibly silly, Katz. Am I supposed to get "fired up" and angry because a gay bar wants gay bartenders?

Have you been equally upset about Hooters hiring only good looking, busty women as waitresses for the past 20 years? If not, then you clearly have a very specific agenda here..

"Normal" is a relative term.

For instance, it's considered completely normal for two men (or two women) to be a couple in places like San Francisco and Provincetown, MA.

Uhm, not by everyone in those cities bub...

My point is what's not normal for you might be perfectly normal to someone else. You have a right to define what's normal for you, but I think you don't have a right to decide what's normal overall.

Oh, absolutely... and I don't purport to do so. But you don't have the right to make me accept something as normal if I don't.

Forum List

Back