Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

No, I feel anyone in business should have the freedom of "right of refusal" to anyone they choose. Let them rise or fail, based upon their choices.

The funny thing is when I predicted stuff such as these lawsuits... the gay activists stated I was crazy...

oh, it is just about equality in treatment by government.. :rolleyes:
it will not infringe upon the freedoms of others to think what they want.. :rolleyes:
it will not force other people to do things they don't want to do :rolleyes:

I told you, I told you, I told you.. the agenda was about MUCH more

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

Tricky question. I would say as long as you don't need to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, like his public schools, then Liberty prevails.

But, as long as you are not, no. Liberty then prevails. And don't read too much into the New Testament analogy. It is just that, an analogy.

Baking a cake wouldn't bother me - but if customers find out, the business could be harmed. I think racism is different, though.

As I said, if you don't want to serve a certain group of people, put a sign in your window stating this, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Would business owners have the guts to do so, though?

You're being very bossy, telling people what they have to do with their property. "You must provide services for gay weddings or you must put a sign in the window declaring that you won't."

It would save the trouble of the gay couple being offended when they are rejected - and they couldn't complain about not being served if they knew in advance.

I won't swear to it because I don't want to go back and look up any old posts, but seems to me you wouldn't in general be supportive of the kind of message which you're now saying a person should have to place on their door. You've been very intolerant of freedom of expression for points of view you consider repugnant -- to the point of saying they shouldn't be allowed in certain situations in which I think the majority of Americans probably believe the expression is benign, such as a religious military man talking about his faith. I could be mistaken but I'd bet that if in another thread the news had broken that someone was placing such a sign in his window without having to, in order to make a clear statement about his position on this hot-button issue, you'd say he should be stopped because advertising an attitude like that would be wrong.

Last edited:
On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

I don't think anybody should be forced to provide a service for somebody they disagree with if they don't want to. I could care less if a store refused service to a minority as well. You have your right to be a bigot, and I have my right to not frequent your business because of it.

As far as public schools teaching gay marriage is normal, I agree they should have to. They should have been able to teach that it was normal from the very beginning.

Gay marriage is not normal.. it is in fact, abnormal.

lol, conservatives really come alive when they get the opportunity to stand up for their belief in the right to deny other people their rights.

I very rarely send a customer packing but I do reserve the right.

It's my business after all.

Your rights are limited by the fact that you choose to operate a business open to the public.

I wonder if innocent passer-by's, including children, will be forced to watch the ceremony?

I don't think anybody should be forced to provide a service for somebody they disagree with if they don't want to. I could care less if a store refused service to a minority as well. You have your right to be a bigot, and I have my right to not frequent your business because of it.

As far as public schools teaching gay marriage is normal, I agree they should have to. They should have been able to teach that it was normal from the very beginning.

So is the marriage of people over 65...but it is totally legal. :D

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings.
Pursuant to what law(s)?

Of course not. Taking on such work is always voluntary; you have the right to choose to take on whatever job you want on whatever basis you want.

Last edited:
Given that baking wedding cakes is about as gay a profession as you can have,

isn't it a bit ironic that they would refuse to do business with gays?

So is the marriage of people over 65...but it is totally legal. :D

How is a 65+ man and woman getting married abnormal?

:confused:

Given that baking wedding cakes is about as gay a profession as you can have,

isn't it a bit ironic that they would refuse to do business with gays?

Nice use of stereotypes there.

Not all bakers are this guy.

IB0206_Ron-Ben-Israel-02_s4x3_lead.jpg

lol, conservatives really come alive when they get the opportunity to stand up for their belief in the right to deny other people their rights.

Your rights are limited by the fact that you choose to operate a business open to the public.

And that should not be the case. Government cannot discriminate, people should be able to whenever they want.

Absolutely false.. once again, you lie for your agenda

Businesses discriminate continually on people's choices every day.. and rightfully so.. airlines do not have to cave to the overly obese by offering a seat to fit a 800 pound person.. you can throw out people for behavior from any establishment.. you can refuse to sell food to your competitor.. you can prevent people dressed in ways you do not like from coming in to your business... the list goes on

Forum List

Back