Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

How would you like being forced into serving someone? Don't you like the idea of being able to control the machinations of your own business? Of course not Noomi, you'd rather the government tell you whom you can and WILL serve, under pain of financial ruin.

Do you think I should be allowed to refuse to serve people who are black?

Do you think an African-American photographer should be forced to take photos of a Ku Klux Klan event?

Good question. But a photographer is actually at the occasion - like a Christian photographer at a gay wedding. That is a lot different than simply baking a cake, and not witnessing the ceremony.

I personally think it should be illegal to be a member of a racist group, anyway.

All of us. No one can say that it is okay to discriminate against one group of people but not another, especially when neither minority are breaking any laws.

Sure people can. You can say it is okay to kill a fetus the second before it would be born weeks or even months after it reaches viability. Other people can say it is okay to stand up for their religious beliefs and not contribute to an action they believe is against God's will. People can say all kinds of things.

Fetus's are not people, therefore no one can discriminate against them. Stay on topic, please.

You are the person who sayd that "no one can say" something. I gave you an example of why it is absurd to declare that "no one can" something. Just because you disagree with it, doesn't mean "no one can say" it.

All of us. No one can say that it is okay to discriminate against one group of people but not another, especially when neither minority are breaking any laws.

How would you like being forced into serving someone? Don't you like the idea of being able to control the machinations of your own business? Of course not Noomi, you'd rather the government tell you whom you can and WILL serve, under pain of financial ruin.

I think you should be allowed to serve whomever you wish. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

I think you should be allowed to serve whom you wish. Plain and simple.

Then you should put a sign on the window of your shop that states you won't serve black people, or gay people, and let the public make their choice - and they have the right to launch a boycott of your business, and attack your beliefs, if they so choose.

So if you are a prepared for your small business to go downhill, you will put that sign in your window.

Do you think an African-American photographer should be forced to take photos of a Ku Klux Klan event?

Good question. But a photographer is actually at the occasion - like a Christian photographer at a gay wedding. That is a lot different than simply baking a cake, and not witnessing the ceremony.

I personally think it should be illegal to be a member of a racist group, anyway.

Fine, then should a baker have to make a cake for a Ku Klux Klan event? Or even for people they know to be Ku Klux Klan members even if they don't know what the event is.

Fine, then should a baker have to make a cake for a Ku Klux Klan event? Or even for people they know to be Ku Klux Klan members even if they don't know what the event is.

Baking a cake wouldn't bother me - but if customers find out, the business could be harmed. I think racism is different, though.

As I said, if you don't want to serve a certain group of people, put a sign in your window stating this, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Would business owners have the guts to do so, though?

Then you should put a sign on the window of your shop that states you won't serve black people, or gay people, and let the public make their choice - and they have the right to launch a boycott of your business, and attack your beliefs, if they so choose.

So if you are a prepared for your small business to go downhill, you will put that sign in your window.

I have the right to deny business to whomever I wish for whatever reason I wish. You didn't respond to my statement. I believe you should be able to serve whomever you wish without certain reprisals from one political group or another. You don't suggest I serve criminals intent on doing me harm do you?

Baking a cake wouldn't bother me - but if customers find out, the business could be harmed. I think racism is different, though.

As I said, if you don't want to serve a certain group of people, put a sign in your window stating this, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Would business owners have the guts to do so, though?

You're being very bossy, telling people what they have to do with their property. "You must provide services for gay weddings or you must put a sign in the window declaring that you won't."

You're being very bossy, telling people what they have to do with their property. "You must provide services for gay weddings or you must put a sign in the window declaring that you won't."

It would save the trouble of the gay couple being offended when they are rejected - and they couldn't complain about not being served if they knew in advance.

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

Jesus fuckin' Christ... leave it to the Left to make life even more of a complicated pain in the ass than it already was...

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

And why would this be a problem?

If you are running a cake shop, you are not performing a religious service. You are running a public accommedation. You've applied for a business license and you have already agreed to serve all customers regardless of race, gender or creed.

And frankly, the economy being what it is, I can't see ANY business turning away perfectly good money.

I think you should be allowed to serve whomever you wish. Plain and simple.

As long as the rest of us have to pay for the police protection and utilities and public roads for your business, we have the right to demand you clowns don't discriminate.

This is already settled law. You as a business do not have the right to discriminate.

I have the right to deny business to whomever I wish for whatever reason I wish. You didn't respond to my statement. I believe you should be able to serve whomever you wish without certain reprisals from one political group or another. You don't suggest I serve criminals intent on doing me harm do you?

No you don't. Sorry.

"IRISH NEED NOT APPLY"
...was a sign of the times.

[

"IRISH NEED NOT APPLY"
...was a sign of the times.

Nope, that was a myth.

Richard J. Jensen - "No Irish Need Apply": A Myth of Victimization - Journal of Social History 36:2

Irish Catholics in America have a vibrant memory of humiliating job discrimination, which featured omnipresent signs proclaiming "Help Wanted--No Irish Need Apply!" No one has ever seen one of these NINA signs because they were extremely rare or nonexistent. The market for female household workers occasionally specified religion or nationality. Newspaper ads for women sometimes did include NINA, but Irish women nevertheless dominated the market for domestics because they provided a reliable supply of an essential service. Newspaper ads for men with NINA were exceedingly rare. The slogan was commonplace in upper class London by 1820; in 1862 in London there was a song, "No Irish Need Apply," purportedly by a maid looking for work. The song reached America and was modified to depict a man recently arrived in America who sees a NINA ad and confronts and beats up the culprit. The song was an immediate hit, and is the source of the myth. Evidence from the job market shows no significant discrimination against the Irish--on the contrary, employers eagerly sought them out. Some Americans feared the Irish because of their religion, their use of violence, and their threat to democratic elections. By the Civil War these fears had subsided and there were no efforts to exclude Irish immigrants. The Irish worked in gangs in job sites they could control by force. The NINA slogan told them they had to stick together against the Protestant Enemy, in terms of jobs and politics. The NINA myth justified physical assaults, and persisted because it aided ethnic solidarity. After 1940 the solidarity faded away, yet NINA remained as a powerful memory.

I don't think you should ever be forced to provide a service.

I don't think you should ever be forced to provide a service.

Which is why we need laws. Without them, we'd have a situation where people are routinely denied equal rights.

You might want to reconsider that position. Give it a little more thought. Did you really mean "ever"? Would you qualify that in any way?

Some time ago a Japanese restaurant got busted in NYC for not catering to non Japanese.

I'm sure you think that restaurant has the right..but the city disagreed.

No, actually you don't have that right.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin. In addition, most courts don’t allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions. For example, a person likely can’t be refused service due to having a lazy eye. [...]

There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

• Patrons who are unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble
  • Patrons that may overfill capacity if let in
  • Patrons who come in just before closing time or when the kitchen is closed
  • Patrons accompanied by large groups of non-customers looking to sit in
  • Patrons lacking adequate hygiene (e.g. excess dirt, extreme body odor, etc.)
In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

Right to Refuse Service

Forum List

Back