Should Traitors Or Enemies Be Honored?

Independent thinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
Lefties think that those who fought in the civil war are traitors and should not be honored in any way and should be cancelled in every way possible. Jan 6th protesters shouldn't be honored either and, in fact, should be arrested just for being there, even if they didn't do much of anything. The flag should also not be honored and we should kneel down in front of it due to social injustice while being forced to listen to our racist National Anthem.

All of that and then I read the following story and I wonder how the left feel about this. It is one of those "feel good" stories I found in the media. In fact, I must confess, the story made me feel good. But, the gist of the story is that we are helping honor an enemy who tried killing us and who fought against us to overthrow our democracy. So, I ask the lefties again how they feel about this feel good story. How can you reconcile being against those who fought in the civil war, etc. while "feeling good" about honoring this enemy who tried or even may have accomplished killing us, regarding a flag, nonetheless? Should we help him be honored? Was it the right thing to do?

Yeah, it's a feel good story. I have no problem with giving the flag back to his family.

As for the Civil War, you could write a book about how we should now view those who fought for the Confederacy.

Just to focus on one point, what about poor whites who fought for the right of the South to secede, and couldn't have cared less about slavery? Indeed, there is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that prohibits a State from seceding. In fact, I understand that the main reason that Jefferson Davis was never tried for treason was that he promised to raise this very issue in his defense, and NOBODY wanted the Supreme Court to ultimately declare that the South was right about its right to secede.

Lefties think that those who fought in the civil war are traitors and should not be honored in any way and should be cancelled in every way possible. Jan 6th protesters shouldn't be honored either and, in fact, should be arrested just for being there, even if they didn't do much of anything. The flag should also not be honored and we should kneel down in front of it due to social injustice while being forced to listen to our racist National Anthem.

All of that and then I read the following story and I wonder how the left feel about this. It is one of those "feel good" stories I found in the media. In fact, I must confess, the story made me feel good. But, the gist of the story is that we are helping honor an enemy who tried killing us and who fought against us to overthrow our democracy. So, I ask the lefties again how they feel about this feel good story. How can you reconcile being against those who fought in the civil war, etc. while "feeling good" about honoring this enemy who tried or even may have accomplished killing us, regarding a flag, nonetheless? Should we help him be honored? Was it the right thing to do?

I reconcile it by making a distinction. A distinction you seem to miss here. The flag is returned to the ancestors of this man. It carries emotional value to them. If a museum has the diaries of Robert E. Lee and his family want that back, I'm all for giving it to them.

What the left objects too, is celebrating the people that fought for splitting up the US in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery. I don't think you would enjoy the US putting up a statue of this Japanese soldier or naming a national park after him.

Giving back the flag of this man back is recognizing the humanity of this person. Putting up a statue or naming a public place after him is celebrating his deeds.

I reconcile it by making a distinction. A distinction you seem to miss here. The flag is returned to the ancestors of this man. It carries emotional value to them. If a museum has the diaries of Robert E. Lee and his family want that back, I'm all for giving it to them.

What the left objects too, is celebrating the people that fought for splitting up the US in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery. I don't think you would enjoy the US putting up a statue of this Japanese soldier or naming a national park after him.

Giving back the flag of this man back is recognizing the humanity of this person. Putting up a statue or naming a public place after him is celebrating his deeds.
This Japanese fighter's family is being helped to celebrate his life by the US after trying or succeeding in killing us.

This Japanese fighter's family is being helped to celebrate his life by the US after trying or succeeding in killing us.
So? Is the US saying he's a hero? I don't think so. They are recognizing, and that's how the story is written that the flag has a personal value to his family and as such they have a right to it. Naming a park after Nathan Bedford Forest the first Grand Wizard of the KKK is stating his public life was worthy of acclaim. I think the 2 things are completely different.

So? Is the US saying he's a hero? I don't think so. They are recognizing, and that's how the story is written that the flag has a personal value to his family and as such they have a right to it. Naming a park after Nathan Bedford Forest the first Grand Wizard of the KKK is stating his public life was worthy of acclaim. I think the 2 things are completely different.
Your side is cancelling every civil war soldier and yet you are ok with honoring a different enemy soldier.

Your side is cancelling every civil war soldier and yet you are ok with honoring a different enemy soldier.
Lol you are completely missing the point. On purpose I'm guessing. Because you start the OP calling it a "feel good story" and now it's "you want to honor an enemy".

I'll try it this way. If this story was not about returning the flag. But about the museum deciding to put a statue up of this soldier. Would you consider it a feel-good story? Or a betrayal to the American serviceman he fought against?

Do you dare answer that question honestly?

GFY yankees
1690653984948.png

Lol you are completely missing the point. On purpose I'm guessing. Because you start the OP calling it a "feel good story" and now it's "you want to honor an enemy".

I'll try it this way. If this story was not about returning the flag. But about the museum deciding to put a statue up of this soldier. Would you consider it a feel-good story? Or a betrayal to the American serviceman he fought against?

Do you dare answer that question honestly?
Lol you are completely missing the point.

You missed the point. The whole point. Not that I'm surprised. Your attempts to deflect will not work.
I'm not deflecting anything. I already answered "your point" in my first post. The problem you're having is that you don't have a reply. So, you misrepresent my position. Claiming I'm celebrating someone, although I already made it clear that recognizing someone's humanity and understanding the needs of his family is not the same as honoring him.

And you change yours in order to come to that bogus strawman. From "it's a feel-good story" to "he's the enemy and shouldn't be celebrated". Ironically enough the position I take when it comes to those who fought for the south. Which of course is why I ask the question and you refuse to answer it. Because you and I both know that your position would become untenable.

So, you play this game... It's called intellectual dishonesty.

Last edited:
How could the Confederates be traitors? They served a completely different sovereign country. Liberals are dumb. Flying a Confederate flag is little different than a Mexican American flying a Mexican flag. You don't see liberals calling Mexican Americans traitors for the Mexican-American War.

As to the returned flag, it is a nice gesture.

Claiming I'm celebrating someone, although I already made it clear that recognizing someone's humanity and understanding the needs of his family is not the same as honoring him

A hat-tip to poster forkup.
He did good work in his responses in this thread.
Thanks.

What's wrong with splitting up the US?

Not by the US. The US Govt had nothing to do with it. It was is a private entity that did this.

That is a distinction you always fail to understand

How could the Confederates be traitors? They served a completely different sovereign country.

So, if someone renounces their US citizenship and then joins an army attacking the US, you would not view them as a traitor?

Those who fought in the Civil War? Both sides? The concept of "honor" has a complicated meaning. History should be respected and 19th century values should not be judged by modern standards.

Forum List

Back