Should we slow LEGAL immigration?

Trump.Stamped

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2016
With the tens of millions of people not working in this country already, should we still be bringing in a million immigrants a year?

These are not just farm workers. We are bringing in skilled labor, engineers, etc. Also, a good 40+ % of them are not working.

Why don't we lower immigration numbers, deal with illegal immigration, and put people to work? Why don't we encourage that young minority student to aspire to fill one of those engineering positions? How many of our problems would be reduced?

Yes.

We should adopt an immigration policy that is far far more discriminating. We should only allow people in who have proven skills we as a country desire

With the tens of millions of people not working in this country already, should we still be bringing in a million immigrants a year?

These are not just farm workers. We are bringing in skilled labor, engineers, etc. Also, a good 40+ % of them are not working.

Why don't we lower immigration numbers, deal with illegal immigration, and put people to work? Why don't we encourage that young minority student to aspire to fill one of those engineering positions? How many of our problems would be reduced?

This is a Big Reason Trump is as popular as he is right now...We don't hear anyone else bringing this up except for slimy Cruz who is all hot air...

1. You would have to educate the unemployed population to fill those jobs taken by H1B visas, and to do so you would have to offer a JTPA which most on the right would be against.

2. The amount of years for schooling to train someone in Nursing and Engineering would not correct the problem at hand, and the vacancies still would have to be filled because to obtain a RN license take a few years and Engineering is even longer.

3. Big Business like Apple or PSI Engineering would prefer pay for the visa of the immigrant so they can pay a lower wage than having to pay a graduate from here in the states.

Final Note:

I once worked in both Geo-Tech Engineering and Home Health and have seen the abuse of the H1B visa to the point where in Nursing I have seen agencies import Filipino Nurses and pay them less money than a regular nurse while also holding their visa and the lawyer involved with the company would look for American Males to marry the nurse so they could also earn money off the switching of status.

So there is massive abuse that happen with the H1B visa but a quick fix is not going to happen because we do not have the educated population to fill the vacancies and it will take four years if we started to JTPA the unemployed...

1. You would have to educate the unemployed population to fill those jobs taken by H1B visas, and to do so you would have to offer a JTPA which most on the right would be against.

2. The amount of years for schooling to train someone in Nursing and Engineering would not correct the problem at hand, and the vacancies still would have to be filled because to obtain a RN license take a few years and Engineering is even longer.

3. Big Business like Apple or PSI Engineering would prefer pay for the visa of the immigrant so they can pay a lower wage than having to pay a graduate from here in the states.

Final Note:

I once worked in both Geo-Tech Engineering and Home Health and have seen the abuse of the H1B visa to the point where in Nursing I have seen agencies import Filipino Nurses and pay them less money than a regular nurse while also holding their visa and the lawyer involved with the company would look for American Males to marry the nurse so they could also earn money off the switching of status.

So there is massive abuse that happen with the H1B visa but a quick fix is not going to happen because we do not have the educated population to fill the vacancies and it will take four years if we started to JTPA the unemployed...

So many are all ready educated but are working in a restaurant as a waiter because no one will hire them for American pay..it should be illegal to pay people less because they come here from other countries..That should fix the problem.

Final Note:

So many are all ready educated but are working in a restaurant as a waiter because no one will hire them for American pay..it should be illegal to pay people less because they come here from other countries..That should fix the problem.

If you have a education in Nursing, Physical Therapy or Engineering like Goe-Tech then you will not be looking for a job for a very long time if at all because there are plenty of jobs out there that need filling...

Now there are some that can not be hired because of criminal past, and in the medical field that is a big no-no to have a criminal record, but in Geo-Tech Engineering it not that much of a problem.

You can not take a College Grad that has a education on some Liberal Arts program and stick them into a nursing job without re-educating them in the field.

Now you can do this in Geo-Tech Engineering and put them through the NICET Program which the company most of the time pays for.

As for paying for less for a H1B visa versus a American Grad, well that is the sad reality of our Capitalistic Society we live in.

If we had the amount of people to fill each job, and there was something like NICET for every profession then I would agree we need to stop the H1B visa, but in the end that is not the reality as of yet.

Home - NICET Main

There are also those that already HAD a job - for several years - who were cut loose after having to train their visa worker replacements.
To go along with what you said, the only way to possibly reverse the problem is to make using visa workers cost more than citizen workers.

i'd like to see the stop to ALL immigration but the few that are needed in the USA . -------------- just a comment !! Young Americans can build what they like but they and their kids will have to live with what they build .

There are also those that already HAD a job - for several years - who were cut loose after having to train their visa worker replacements.
To go along with what you said, the only way to possibly reverse the problem is to make using visa workers cost more than citizen workers.
I've seen this happen more times than I can count. They bring in a family member or friend,train them n they will work for half the going rate. Then if ur good enough to keep ur job ur left with people who barely speak English n they refuse to work anyone that isn't their race. Most don't follow proper safety regulations, or work procedures but who gives a crap the company is saving money. Its all about quantity over quality.

that's what I saw in the early 80s in a large hotels food production kitchen . The Mexicans started getting hired , then their brother , mother , father and all at starting minimum wage . Then the older employee that had worked himself up to maybe 10 bucks an hour has problems because even though he is the old timer none of the newer employees will or can communicate or work with the old timer

it is common , in the instance I describe the Mexicans all stuck together to elevate themselves as a group . Many only knew 'spanish' and even the ones that knew some English leaned heavily on the term ' no comprehende' when talking to English speaking folk . It was an open joke and the English speaking employees suffered and the Mexicans ended up running the kitchen and housekeeping , landscaping and other menial labor jobs . The hotel did well because their labor costs went down Liberty !!

Last edited:

Final Note:

It already is.

Final Note:

If you think H1-Bs are actually skilled, you haven't worked with them.
They learn on the job.
IF they learn.

Final Note:

They learn on the job.
IF they learn.

Really?

You do realize to bring a Nurse or Physical Therapist from a nation like the Philippines they have to have a certain amount of education before their employer can get a H1B visa for them, so I do not know where you get your facts from but I damn well know how much education they need before they're allow to come here, and for a Physical Therapist you have to have a masters degree...

Final Note:

They learn on the job.
IF they learn.

Really?

You do realize to bring a Nurse or Physical Therapist from a nation like the Philippines they have to have a certain amount of education before their employer can get a H1B visa for them, so I do not know where you get your facts from but I damn well know how much education they need before they're allow to come here, and for a Physical Therapist you have to have a masters degree...

My apologies as I was referring to those in IT.

Final Note:

They learn on the job.
IF they learn.

Really?

My apologies as I was referring to those in IT.

Now worries...

Even with their Masters Degree most of the imported workforce are ignorant and make me wonder where the hell they've gotten their papers from...

I had a Nurse claim she was a Doctor back in the Philippines and told me to drink Gatorade for my Bronchitis, and I looked at a co-worker and ask if she is a actual doctor how many patients she had killed over there...

This country need to work on educating the unemployed in fields where they can earn a better living and stop relying on importing labor from countries like India, China and the Philippines...

excellent post , that's exactly what I think but you said it much better than me Bruce !!

Forum List

Back