Siham's story: Refugee family arrives in Toronto, 3 years after flight from Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
How difficult it must have been for this widow after her husband was killed. Hope she is able to have a nice life in Canada.

Siham's story: Refugee family arrives in Toronto, 3 years after flight from Syria
'It’s just been transformative ... to help someone else in this profound way,' sponsor says

CBC News Posted: Dec 27, 2015 5:53 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 27, 2015 8:45 PM ET

siham-abu-sitta.jpg

Siham Abu Sitta, right, meets her "new family," members of the Fairlawn Avenue United Church in Toronto, who sponsored the Syrian woman and her daughters. (CBC News)
  • Siham Abu Sitta and her three daughters are surrounded by "new family" on Boxing Day — members of the Toronto church congregation who spent more than a year trying to bring the Syrian widow to Canada after years of an illegal existence in a Lebanese refugee camp.

"Finally I meet my family. You are my family," she said, gesturing to her sponsors at Fairlawn Avenue United Church helping to sponsor the family. "Now I have brothers, sisters."

Abu Sitta's eight-year-old twins, Jana and Joudy, play next to a Christmas tree Sunday as their mother recounts the journey that brought them to Toronto, using English words she began learning nine months ago.

Continue reading at:

Toronto church welcomes Syrian family they fought to bring to Canada

Forum List

Back