Since search engines like Google obviously work for CCP, what search engines do not?

This is only partly accurate: I maintain about a half dozen websites, and based on my server logs, there is a BOT with a similar sounding name that crawls some of my sites but infrequently. An example from my logs is pasted below. Not shown is the fact that this "DuckDuckGo-Favicons-Bot" only made 1 request to my servers over a one week period. This is extremely low for a crawler, as there are over 50 crawlers with distinct IP domains and names that crawl on a regular basis, each with at least 10 hits per crawl.

View attachment 581901

So long story short, I believe duckduckgo uses google for most of your page searches. It may do some extra crawling for other services, like the ones you've got listed.

Most likely, there is still "filtering" or some sort of preference algorithm going on, even though they don't store any information themselves. And most likely, all search engines use a single, government controlled, database. This is not necessarily a bad thing...but could definitely lead to mis-use in the wrong hands.

[FYI: I have blocked ALL of googles known networks from accessing my servers, in part due to extreme hacker-attack activity, and in part due to their horrible reputation dealing with businesses]
still learning here, thank you.

iamwhatiseem in talking to another friend, I may well be wrong but I can't find much on it to read.
Actually I stand corrected. DDG dropped Google sources in 2018. I was relying on what I knew before, which is why I wasn't a huge fan of DDG because it used Google to provide results.
They no longer do.
That is interesting to me. Learn something everyday! - Thanks for the info!

This is only partly accurate: I maintain about a half dozen websites, and based on my server logs, there is a BOT with a similar sounding name that crawls some of my sites but infrequently. An example from my logs is pasted below. Not shown is the fact that this "DuckDuckGo-Favicons-Bot" only made 1 request to my servers over a one week period. This is extremely low for a crawler, as there are over 50 crawlers with distinct IP domains and names that crawl on a regular basis, each with at least 10 hits per crawl.

View attachment 581901

So long story short, I believe duckduckgo uses google for most of your page searches. It may do some extra crawling for other services, like the ones you've got listed.

Most likely, there is still "filtering" or some sort of preference algorithm going on, even though they don't store any information themselves. And most likely, all search engines use a single, government controlled, database. This is not necessarily a bad thing...but could definitely lead to mis-use in the wrong hands.

[FYI: I have blocked ALL of googles known networks from accessing my servers, in part due to extreme hacker-attack activity, and in part due to their horrible reputation dealing with businesses]
Good stuff... I just looked at the admin panel for our domain and there is a few DDG bots... way outnumbered by Google.

Actually I stand corrected. DDG dropped Google sources in 2018. I was relying on what I knew before, which is why I wasn't a huge fan of DDG because it used Google to provide results.
They no longer do.
That is interesting to me. Learn something everyday! - Thanks for the info!
we both learned something. open conversation works!

Forum List

Back