Singers vs Musicians.

I've never had much respect for people who only sing. Especially these days. Singers are a dime-a-dozen. One singer sounds like another.

And the shows now like The Voice and American Idol. I'm much less than impressed. IMO, singing takes very little in the way of talent. It might take dedication, but talent? No. Unless your definition of talent is simply "ability". I, do not have the ability. No amount of singing lessons or effort can make this voice sound appealing. My vocal range is very narrow. You are eithr born with the ability to sing, or you aren't.

Not so with musicians. No one is born knowing how to play a guitar, or a piano, or a violin. Learning to play an instrument takes almost a lifetime of dedication and sacrifice. I would watch a show like American Idol, if it featured musicians battling it out for the top prize. Singers bore me to tears.

The problem with the music today is that people are paying more attention to the singers, and not caring about the musicians. Today's music will continue to suck ass until that trend reverses itself.

I don't mind singers that only sing, if they at least write their own music. However I much prefer people who play an instrument and sing. I like people like Dave Ghrol, and Jack white. Who write the music, can play multiple instruments, and Sing the songs.

I play Guitar myself, and currently am on a Jack white kick. Most people know he sings and plays guitar and keyboards, but not as many know he also plays the drums in the Band the Dead Weather. Drums were his first love, he only picked up a guitar because he and a buddy formed a band and his buddy played the drums.

Last edited:
I've never had much respect for people who only sing. Especially these days. Singers are a dime-a-dozen. One singer sounds like another.

And the shows now like The Voice and American Idol. I'm much less than impressed. IMO, singing takes very little in the way of talent. It might take dedication, but talent? No. Unless your definition of talent is simply "ability". I, do not have the ability. No amount of singing lessons or effort can make this voice sound appealing. My vocal range is very narrow. You are eithr born with the ability to sing, or you aren't.

Not so with musicians. No one is born knowing how to play a guitar, or a piano, or a violin. Learning to play an instrument takes almost a lifetime of dedication and sacrifice. I would watch a show like American Idol, if it featured musicians battling it out for the top prize. Singers bore me to tears.

The problem with the music today is that people are paying more attention to the singers, and not caring about the musicians. Today's music will continue to suck ass until that trend reverses itself.

Do you not respect athletes either, since they were all born with athletic talent?

My most favorite singer James Otto is not only a singer, but a song writer which is where I think that the real talent is, a guitar player, and a producer. :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I can agree with that. Those people who can sing and play? Worth admiration, imo.

Damn right, not that I have a good voice, but if I did I still would not be able to play and sing at the same time. Just totally messes with my timing.

Do you not respect athletes either, since they were all born with athletic talent?

Not the same. We all can walk or run or swing a bat, it's an even playing field. Some people are naturally faster than I am but I can develop other skills to compensate.

And actually, I don't idolize athletes as much as many people do.

Not the same. We all can walk or run or swing a bat, it's an even playing field. Some people are naturally faster than I am but I can develop other skills to compensate.

We can all sing, too. Well, unless we are mute. :tongue:

I understand where your argument comes from. Some people are good singers without any training or practice; they simply are born with good voices.

However, I think you may underestimate how much of a musician's talent is also something they are born with.

Yes, through practice just about anyone can learn to play an instrument, even if they don't have a natural aptitude for it. By the same token, even most of those without a natural talent for singing can learn to improve their singing voices. In either case, without the right genetics, I don't think a person is going to reach greatness.

I think your feelings may boil down to the fact that singing is more natural than playing an instrument (with the possible exception of drums). Singing is just something you do, from the time you are a small child. Good or bad at it, just about everyone sings. Far fewer play guitar, or piano, or violin, etc. Singing is the least....man-made of the bunch. I'm not coming up with the most appropriate phrasing, but hopefully you get the idea. :)

Rhythm can come with practice, no one is born with it.

On guitar, timing, speed, and tone can make up for the lack of precise rhythm, (besides, that's what the bass is for :) ) but with drums? You'll never be able to get really good if you don't have that natural talent.

Pretty much the same with any instrument or voice. Some are born with proclivities that make learning those talents, great and some gain their learning through practice.

I inherited my Dad's singing voice. He went to any university of his choice on scholarships for both voice and football...lol. Before he was classically trained in voice, he had his own radio show on campus sponsored by local businesses. He sang on his show then developed his classical style, with training.

My Mother never took a lesson in piano, but played expertly and beautifully, with both hands, by ear, so they say, as did her Mother.

If it's in the genes, you have an advantage, with any instrument or vocal capacities. It also helps to love what you are doing. :)

I can't give you rep. This sucks. Apparently I've run out for the day.

I could never sing. But my grandfather put me in front of a piano. And the house rocked down. No one knew why.

I think I was 4. Lord knows how this happens.

I understand where your argument comes from. Some people are good singers without any training or practice; they simply are born with good voices.

However, I think you may underestimate how much of a musician's talent is also something they are born with.

Yes, through practice just about anyone can learn to play an instrument, even if they don't have a natural aptitude for it. By the same token, even most of those without a natural talent for singing can learn to improve their singing voices. In either case, without the right genetics, I don't think a person is going to reach greatness.

I think your feelings may boil down to the fact that singing is more natural than playing an instrument (with the possible exception of drums). Singing is just something you do, from the time you are a small child. Good or bad at it, just about everyone sings. Far fewer play guitar, or piano, or violin, etc. Singing is the least....man-made of the bunch. I'm not coming up with the most appropriate phrasing, but hopefully you get the idea. :)

I hear you loud and clear. I have a daughter who gets no other training than singing in the shower or in the car. She has the voice of an angel. I have encouraged her to develop her voice further but she's not interested. The difference is that there are people like my daughter who can sing because they are born with a voice right out of the box. But no one is born with the ability to play an instrument without hours and hours of training.

My feelings have a cause that I am well aware of. The cause is that I hate how in much of today's pop music, singers have taken the limelight, and the music is almost unimportant. I see fewer and fewer full bands that are popular with the young these days and it's a shame. Singers are a dime a dozen and they all sound pretty much the same. Real talent lies with the musicians, imo.

Think Freddy Mercury.

I know he was born with it. But he refined his voice through hard work.

I'm really torn on this issue. And I would kill to have a singing voice like Adele or Nancy or Grace or my favorite diva of all times Ronnie.

I didn't say idolize, I said respect. :razz:

And anyone can sing or pound on some drums or strum a guitar, right? So that's an even playing field as well.

What we're talking about though is the great ones, and that certainly isn't an even playing field.

I hear you loud and clear. I have a daughter who gets no other training than singing in the shower or in the car. She has the voice of an angel. I have encouraged her to develop her voice further but she's not interested. The difference is that there are people like my daughter who can sing because they are born with a voice right out of the box. But no one is born with the ability to play an instrument without hours and hours of training.

My feelings have a cause that I am well aware of. The cause is that I hate how in much of today's pop music, singers have taken the limelight, and the music is almost unimportant. I see fewer and fewer full bands that are popular with the young these days and it's a shame. Singers are a dime a dozen and they all sound pretty much the same. Real talent lies with the musicians, imo.

We are in the era of American Idol.

I deleted an earlier post of mine because I thought I gave out too much personal information, damn maybe I should have let it stand.

When I bailed out of the music industry, MTV was still a new deal. One thing we fretted about in those days is that "image" would become a substitute for talent.

Sadly we were right.

But the fringe has stayed true to itself thank goodness. I love the wild ones that keep to that "garage band" feeling, whether they be rock, country, punk whatever.

to get a beautiful voice just like whitney houston had or adele nowadays, these people had to train a lifetime. Don't tell me that you did not hear how much the voice of Johnny Cash was damaged by the end of his life and it did not give you goosebumps? And it would have sounded the same without his guitar in his hands. you heard his life in his voice - like it's always the case with older singers - so that means lifelong dedication as well.

Think Freddy Mercury.

I know he was born with it. But he refined his voice through hard work.

I'm really torn on this issue. And I would kill to have a singing voice like Adele or Nancy or Grace or my favorite diva of all times Ronnie.

I have said all along that there are some who are born with a mediocre voice that through work, achieve greatness, but there are also those who are born with great voices and require only refinement.

No one is born knowing how to play the violin.

And anyone can sing or pound on some drums or strum a guitar, right? So that's an even playing field as well.

What we're talking about though is the great ones, and that certainly isn't an even playing field.

No, it takes work and dedication to pound on some drums or strum a guitar and actually make music come out of it. Not an even playing field at all.

to get a beautiful voice just like whitney houston had or adele nowadays, these people had to train a lifetime. Don't tell me that you did not hear how much the voice of Johnny Cash was damaged by the end of his life and it did not give you goosebumps? And it would have sounded the same without his guitar in his hands. you heard his life in his voice - like it's always the case with older singers - so that means lifelong dedication as well.

This is true, but not in all cases. I can never ever sing as well as some of them even if I spent twice as much time practicing. No one is born with an ability to play the sax.

No, it takes work and dedication to pound on some drums or strum a guitar and actually make music come out of it. Not an even playing field at all.

Just as it takes years of hard work and dedication to play on an NFL or MLB field or to sing on a stage.

Another problem today is that many musicians are not learning their craft as well.

This is true, but not in all cases. I can never ever sing as well as some of them even if I spent twice as much time practicing. No one is born with an ability to play the sax.

instrument and voice- both is making me happy and that's the main thing I guess ;)

Just as it takes years of hard work and dedication to play on an NFL or MLB field or to sing on a stage.

I don't believe that is true for the singer. I believe that with about 1 year of professional training, my 14 year old daughter could compete as a singer. Her voice now, without one second of training is superb naturally.

Forum List

Back