Sinn Fein poised to win in Ulster

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

An historic moment. However their right wing opponents may try and collapse the assembly by refusing to take their seats.

What is it with right wing parties and their hatred of democracy ?

Unionism is riven by factions and have made error after error in their decision making. they backed brexit against the wishes of the country. Then they backed the tories who promptly sold them out.

They are using the brexit settlement as an excuse to collapse the government. And its true that they have been shafted by the tories.

The only good news is that the non sectarian allliance party has made progress. They are probably the hope of the province.

I would not vote for an IRA terrorist mouthpiece and I'm Catholic.
You have other options like the left leaning SDLP. Or the non aligned Alliance.

The only right wing parties are the protestant unionist parties. But they re all aligned to Proddy terrorists.

So I guess that you would have a problem.

You have other options like the left leaning SDLP. Or the non aligned Alliance.

The only right wing parties are the protestant unionist parties. But they re all aligned to Proddy terrorists.

So I guess that you would have a problem.
A man who says vote for me or I'll bomb a coffee shop should be locked up not put in office.

A man who says vote for me or I'll bomb a coffee shop should be locked up not put in office.
Well I dont think that Michelle O Neill has ever bombed anyone.
1651872996092.png

But you seem to sugggest that only the IRA laid bombs. that isnt the case.
They were all at it including the police and the UK government.
And now they are in government. Which is better than bombing and shooting each other.

Tommy, I already know you're a scumbag so it doesn't surprise me you support terrorism.
Tommy never met a terrorist he didn't like, but a legit Political Party is OK by me. The Micks had legitimate grievances; violence was indeed the wrong way to go but it does NOT excuse the violence that gave it birth. I do not agree that there is NO place for violence though; it is legit to oppose those who would destroy you. It's a type of self defense. yes it is a "complex" issue, but to come through that and become part of Government is really quite astonishing.

Greg

Tommy, I already know you're a scumbag so it doesn't surprise me you support terrorism.
Where am I doing that ? The US is the largest supporter of terrorism in the world and most of the IRA funds came from the US.

But I support terrorism in your tiny brain.

Where am I doing that ? The US is the largest supporter of terrorism in the world and most of the IRA funds came from the US.

But I support terrorism in your tiny brain.
Americans who send money to the IRA should be prosecuted and imprisoned.

I'm a Catholic Irish-American who has always hated the IRA as the murderers they are.

Americans who send money to the IRA should be prosecuted and imprisoned.

I'm a Catholic Irish-American who has always hated the IRA as the murderers they are.
Again you focus on the IRA. What about the UDA or the UVF ? The Red Hand Defenders ?
You seem to have a limited knowledge of the conflict.

So, if the Sinn Fein gets the majority in the local parliament and government, what real consequences can it have for the province or the UK as a whole?

Attempts to declare independence? Uniting with the Republic? I have heard a couple of times that one could barely find someone who doesn't want the reuniting with the North as the Rep do.

So, if the Sinn Fein gets the majority in the local parliament and government, what real consequences can it have for the province or the UK as a whole?

Attempts to declare independence? Uniting with the Republic? I have heard a couple of times that one could barely find someone who doesn't want the reuniting with the North as the Rep do.
Difficult to tell. There was a strong component of English Nationalism in the Brexit vote. They knew that Brexit could result in N.Ireland leaving the UK as it was going to interfere with the Good Friday Agreement. They did not give a damn. The Ulster Unionists however voted for Brexit thinking that if everyone was out of the EU they would not believe they could make it on their own so would all stay United. They shot themselves in the foot. Shin Fein from what I have seen present themselves very well at the moment. In Northern Ireland even some of the Protestants now want a United Ireland - which would include staying in the EU. Peace is the most important thing. That is what Brexit interfered with. They may decide to have a vote on becoming a United Ireland. The ability to do that was part of the Good Friday Agreement.

Difficult to tell. There was a strong component of English Nationalism in the Brexit vote. They knew that Brexit could result in N.Ireland leaving the UK as it was going to interfere with the Good Friday Agreement. They did not give a damn. The Ulster Unionists however voted for Brexit thinking that if everyone was out of the EU they would not believe they could make it on their own so would all stay United. They shot themselves in the foot. Shin Fein from what I have seen present themselves very well at the moment. In Northern Ireland even some of the Protestants now want a United Ireland - which would include staying in the EU. Peace is the most important thing. That is what Brexit interfered with. They may decide to have a vote on becoming a United Ireland. The ability to do that was part of the Good Friday Agreement.
And what do you think it is a real possibility the UK can stop to exist in not too distant future? You live in Scotland, as I can guess. How really strong there the SNP and the desire of people to break away?

And what do you think it is a real possibility the UK can stop to exist in not too distant future? You live in Scotland, as I can guess. How really strong there the SNP and the desire of people to break away?
Boris is trying to stop a second Referendum so presumably he believes it could win. I think to some extent such things are determined by what is happening overall and we are moving into a very difficult time economically. I just really do not know. Last time once people started debating it, people became much more interested. There were groups talking about the kind of society they wanted and politically there has never been such an active time in my life and that was a big plus. It is argued that what got Scotland to vote to stay in UK was that the UK leaders who came up were emphatic that the only way we could stay in the EU was to stay in the UK and so the UK won the vote on false information. I don't think they are intending on having a long build up before the vote this time and I think that is a mistake. Not as long as last time is needed but enough so people know what the situation is. The reality is that Scotland hardly ever gets the Government it votes for. In the end it will probably come down to economics and it was the old who voted to stay in the UK.

Especially with the high degree of English Nationalism there was in the Brexit vote a lot of people assumed it would lead to Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK - and particularly N.I. It certainly could happen. It is difficult to know how the extremist ulster folk would react to that. I think Ireland has been concerned about a United Ireland bringing them on board.

Last edited:
Boris is trying to stop a second Referendum so presumably he believes it could win. I think to some extent such things are determined by what is happening overall and we are moving into a very difficult time economically. I just really do not know. Last time once people started debating it, people became much more interested. There were groups talking about the kind of society they wanted and politically there has never been such an active time in my life and that was a big plus. It is argued that what got Scotland to vote to stay in UK was that the UK leaders who came up were emphatic that the only way we could stay in the EU was to stay in the UK and so the UK won the vote on false information. I don't think they are intending on having a long build up before the vote this time and I think that is a mistake. Not as long as last time is needed but enough so people know what the situation is. The reality is that Scotland hardly ever gets the Government it votes for. In the end it will probably come down to economics and it was the old who voted to stay in the UK.

Especially with the high degree of English Nationalism there was in the Brexit vote a lot of people assumed it would lead to Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK - and particularly N.I. It certainly could happen. It is difficult to know how the extremist ulster folk would react to that. I think Ireland has been concerned about a United Ireland bringing them on board.
Maybe it is realy the time for all of you to go your own ways. Of course, in this case the British (English) elite should forget completely about Global Britain policy. And I think it is really hard for them. But anyway, England constitutes almost 80% of the UK's economy and population, so that is not bad really.

About Northern Ireland.. I think the best solution, if it ever decides to break away from the UK, is to declare its independence and put on hold every movement to join the Republic. At least for a generation, and then return to this question if there will be a need. It can really smooth potential conflicts there.

Maybe it is realy the time for all of you to go your own ways. Of course, in this case the British (English) elite should forget completely about Global Britain policy. And I think it is really hard for them. But anyway, England constitutes almost 80% of the UK's economy and population, so that is not bad really.

About Northern Ireland.. I think the best solution, if it ever decides to break away from the UK, is to declare its independence and put on hold every movement to join the Republic. At least for a generation, and then return to this question if there will be a need. It can really smooth potential conflicts there.
The English elite has managed to get itself back to where it believes it belongs - running Westminster. They were very concerned about the effect Scotland leaving would have on their prestige in the world. They don't want to lose that. They also keep their nukes in Scotland. If Scotland went for Independence there really would be no reason for an Ulster. They themselves said that. Apparently around WW2 Scotland was moving towards Independence. What seemed to have kept them part of the UK was the Welfare State where people gave what they could and received in the main what they needed to survive. The Welfare State has now all but disappeared and if Johnson has his way even our health service which has been the one thing the people of the UK have been united they need, will likely change to the US's with US people making money out of it.

Your idea on NI is good but I haven't heard anyone suggest this. I am not sure how they would manage economically. They get the biggest sum of money from the UK Government by far. Possibly the more important question is does the south want them. Possibly not..

The reality is the Good Friday Agreement was what created peace and under that people could move north and south and did not need any checks on borders as they shared the same economic system. They also all could have Irish citizenship and an Irish Passport. This was very nearly a United Ireland in most things but name and local elections etc. That is what Brexit destroyed and it was known that it would.

Last edited:
I had forgotten Shin Fein's increased popularity in Ireland!

Left-leaning Sinn Fein also recorded a historic result in the Irish general election in 2020.

Its haul of 37 seats was just one below Fianna Fáil, who formed a coalition with Fine Gael to keep Sinn Fein from power.

If the party can build on that success in the next general election, there could be Sinn Fein leaders on both sides of the Irish border, which will surely build momentum for a border poll.

It could prove a real headache for Boris Johnson, especially with another formidable nationalist politician in Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland also pushing for a referendum on UK membership.

This could become interesting.

Forum List

Back