Sinn Fein poised to win in Ulster

Yes, I know that the main talking point of the 'remainers' was Scotland's membership in the EU.

But economy also matters, doesn't it? England is the main trading partner of Scotland and will remain so in foreseeable future.

I think it is highly unlikely we would stop trading with England. In a previous post I said that for this reason among others I thought Scotland would be better joining the EFTA rather than the EU. Then we would have no problems trading with England unless they are in the huff.
I also heard that Scottish hope on relying on energy sources in the North Sea could be compromised. Because formally they are owned primarily by BP, not the UK government.
They may have privilege over the gas and oil in the north sea but it is wind, wave and tides that we are interested in getting our energy from - there may still be the odd one kicking up about this but it is the only sensible course.

I hadn't noticed that you had actually written that BP owned all the oil in the North sea. No it doesn't. The government agrees to them having drilling rights

The idea of BP owning all the UK oil would have resulted in a coup before it became law. Thatcher used the profits from North Sea oil to pay unemployment benefit to all those she took jobs from. She hoped that would make them agree to work for next to nothing. What it did get them doing was staying on the dole or more often going on sickness benefit for depression as sickness benefit paid considerably more.

Last edited:
I think it is highly unlikely we would stop trading with England. In a previous post I said that for this reason among others I thought Scotland would be better joining the EFTA rather than the EU. Then we would have no problems trading with England unless they are in the huff.

They may have privilege over the gas and oil in the north sea but it is wind, wave and tides that we are interested in getting our energy from - there may still be the odd one kicking up about this but it is the only sensible course.

I hadn't noticed that you had actually written that BP owned all the oil in the North sea. No it doesn't. The government agrees to them having drilling rights

The idea of BP owning all the UK oil would have resulted in a coup before it became law. Thatcher used the profits from North Sea oil to pay unemployment benefit to all those she took jobs from. She hoped that would make them agree to work for next to nothing. What it did get them doing was staying on the dole or more often going on sickness benefit for depression as sickness benefit paid considerably more.
Being a member of the EFTA means that you have to comply with all European norms and regulations without having a say in approving them. Some time ago, in Norway there was a discussion that it is better to join the EU to have a say while these regulations are being approved.

Actually, I don't argue that Scotland won't be successful after leaving the UK. In any case, I wish them to be successful.

Last week the UK signed a trade agreement with Japan. As a part of this the uK agreed to take vegetables and fish from the areas surrounding the Fukushima nuclear plant.
This follows on from other trade deals with the likes of Australia
A weak UK has agreed to take dirty Aussie beef which doesnt meet EU standards. This is something that they lied about in the referendum.

But as the EU watches this unfold there is zero likelihood that they will agree to scrap the protocol.

Doing so would invite dirty produce into Europe through the Irish republic.

Its a fundamental that people wanting to trade in the EU must meet itss safety standards.

Johnson and his band of halfwits need to consider this before sounding off.

Being a member of the EFTA means that you have to comply with all European norms and regulations without having a say in approving them.

I am aware of that.
Some time ago, in Norway there was a discussion that it is better to join the EU to have a say while these regulations are being approved.
I would agree that under normal circumstances it is better to join the EU and be a part of the regulations and work to change things if you do not like them. I just feel if Scotland were to become Independent we would at that time be better being a part of EFTA. We could be a part of EFTA more quickly and things like our trade with England could just continue. If later it was better for us to be a part of the EU then we could move to join. Are you from Norway?
Actually, I don't argue that Scotland won't be successful after leaving the UK. In any case, I wish them to be successful.
Awe, thank you.

An historic moment. However their right wing opponents may try and collapse the assembly by refusing to take their seats.

What is it with right wing parties and their hatred of democracy ?

Unionism is riven by factions and have made error after error in their decision making. they backed brexit against the wishes of the country. Then they backed the tories who promptly sold them out.

They are using the brexit settlement as an excuse to collapse the government. And its true that they have been shafted by the tories.

The only good news is that the non sectarian allliance party has made progress. They are probably the hope of the province.
Wow Commie do you ever read what you write? Total moronism.

Last week the UK signed a trade agreement with Japan. As a part of this the uK agreed to take vegetables and fish from the areas surrounding the Fukushima nuclear plant.
This follows on from other trade deals with the likes of Australia
A weak UK has agreed to take dirty Aussie beef which doesnt meet EU standards. This is something that they lied about in the referendum.
ugh This is the whole thing. Brexit was never going to be good for the UK. The Hedge Funders who were funding Boris and others wanted it because because they were betting on it and are others who expect to make a lot from it but not the people of the UK.. This is the very sort of thing which will make Scotland go for Independence.
But as the EU watches this unfold there is zero likelihood that they will agree to scrap the protocol.

Doing so would invite dirty produce into Europe through the Irish republic.

Its a fundamental that people wanting to trade in the EU must meet itss safety standards.

Johnson and his band of halfwits need to consider this before sounding off.
I found an article in the Independent which looked interesting but now I have lost it!. He was talking about the recent election and how the vote for Sin Fein was not a vote for Nationalism. It was a vote to try and sort Unionism out. As you yourself have said Unionists as well as Nationalists want the protocol. I said this morning that neither the DUP or the British Gov should have any say on this. Now the reality is the DUP do not. They cannot demand there be no Protocol because that means going against the GFA which they agreed to. However it appears the UK can which is why they are trying to bribe the UK that they will do nothing unless it breaks the protocol.
A protocol which the majority of people want.

Edit: I think I may have been wrong that the UK has the right to go against the GFA and so it should be. I know on the article I am talking about above they said that the EU would not let the protocol go but now I find that the Irish News believes the DUP is doing this to push both Ireland and the EU to let go of the protocol
The latest policy from the DUP is an attempt to blackmail the Irish government and the EU into removing the Northern Ireland Protocol and the sea border and the setting up a new land border.

so it looks like it is the DUP trying to get Boris to get the EU and Ireland to give up the Protocol so he or the DUP do not have to give up the GFA honestly and take the consequences.

Last edited:
ugh This is the whole thing. Brexit was never going to be good for the UK. The Hedge Funders who were funding Boris and others wanted it because because they were betting on it and are others who expect to make a lot from it but not the people of the UK.. This is the very sort of thing which will make Scotland go for Independence.

I found an article in the Independent which looked interesting but now I have lost it!. He was talking about the recent election and how the vote for Sin Fein was not a vote for Nationalism. It was a vote to try and sort Unionism out. As you yourself have said Unionists as well as Nationalists want the protocol. I said this morning that neither the DUP or the British Gov should have any say on this. Now the reality is the DUP do not. They cannot demand there be no Protocol because that means going against the GFA which they agreed to. However it appears the UK can which is why they are trying to bribe the UK that they will do nothing unless it breaks the protocol.
A protocol which the majority of people want.

Edit: I think I may have been wrong that the UK has the right to go against the GFA and so it should be. I know on the article I am talking about above they said that the EU would not let the protocol go but now I find that the Irish News believes the DUP is doing this to push both Ireland and the EU to let go of the protocol

so it looks like it is the DUP trying to get Boris to get the EU and Ireland to give up the Protocol so he or the DUP do not have to give up the GFA honestly and take the consequences.
i think the dup would be happy enough sith a border down the middle of the country. In effect a minority calling the shots.

There is no solution that suares this circle. Vrexit is a question that should never have been asked. Putin got great value from the money he gave Banks and farage.

Sinn Fein is the mouthpiece for the IRA terrorist organization.

Aha. IRA "terrorists" forced the people in Northern Ireland to vote for Sinn Fein. I heard Sinn Fein had many concepts and many nice and beautiful ladies who fought with the typical female weapons "many words" for them. When I take a look at a map of North Ireland and Ireland then I remember me - 12 years old - how I studied two birchs - jump! - one on the other side of the iron curtain - jump back! - one on this side of the iron curtain. I found not any big difference. Today the descendents of this two birchs live in the EU.

I wish Ireland and Northern Ireland the very best. And a reunion is survivable how we Germans found out. We imported for this period a Latin word which started with "tol" and ended with "erance". It's a magical word.

Happy 1st birthday after a 100 years pregnancy, Sinn Fein.

Last edited:
People talking about scary British Politicians. To me this most scary and I have been thinking about this in connection with Russia is Liz Truss ....and here she is already talking of playing havoc with the protocol regardless of what the EU or Ireland think. It looks like they are going to try and claim that security of NI is at stake. This really does not look good.

Liz Truss is reportedly preparing draft legislation that would unilaterally scrap key parts of the Northern Ireland protocol removing the need for checks on goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

-
Senior UK sources emphasised that stability in Northern Ireland was at stake with the glacial pace of talks and while the EU has made clear that its mandate is not set to change.

Some cabinet ministers, including the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the levelling up secretary, Michael Gove, were said to be uneasy about the high stakes involved in Truss’s strategy and the possibility of a trade war with the EU as the UK stands on the brink of a potential recession.

People talking about scary British Politicians. To me this most scary and I have been thinking about this in connection with Russia is Liz Truss ....and here she is already talking of playing havoc with the protocol regardless of what the EU or Ireland think. It looks like they are going to try and claim that security of NI is at stake. This really does not look good.
Truss, Raab, Patel, Schapps. All promoted beyond their ability. Their only value is loyalty to Johnson and inability to say no.

Johnson purged the party and his only possible replacements are ex kipper trash. Its grim in the UK.

Truss, Raab, Patel, Schapps. All promoted beyond their ability. Their only value is loyalty to Johnson and inability to say no.

Johnson purged the party and his only possible replacements are ex kipper trash. Its grim in the UK.
Truss bothers me because she is an idiot. Did she know that one of the first things she said on the Russian invasion was that she would have no problem if anyone wanted to go and fight there.

The one who concerns me most is Priti Patel. She is seen as a potential Prime Minister and she is as far to the right as you can get and very mean.

Truss bothers me because she is an idiot. Did she know that one of the first things she said on the Russian invasion was that she would have no problem if anyone wanted to go and fight there.

The one who concerns me most is Priti Patel. She is seen as a potential Prime Minister and she is as far to the right as you can get and very mean.
Its awful but on the other hand its great for the independence movement. Its really taken off here since boris got in.

Its awful but on the other hand its great for the independence movement. Its really taken off here since boris got in.
My interest in Independence would be Political and if it was economically viable, I've got a feeling no one is going to be wanting to take any risks in the near future. The bank of England was saying today it was going to put up interest rates because it did not want recession and inflation. My daughter is getting worried the effect the economy is going to have on her family. I told her the good thing was that as she had a mortgage the real price she was paying would go down....but I think this bank of Englander is going to make sure that does not happen so all but the richest will be getting a poorer quality of life.

An historic moment. However their right wing opponents may try and collapse the assembly by refusing to take their seats.

What is it with right wing parties and their hatred of democracy ?

Unionism is riven by factions and have made error after error in their decision making. they backed brexit against the wishes of the country. Then they backed the tories who promptly sold them out.

They are using the brexit settlement as an excuse to collapse the government. And its true that they have been shafted by the tories.

The only good news is that the non sectarian allliance party has made progress. They are probably the hope of the province.
So when left wings protest, that is a step toward democracy and when the right wing protests it is hatred of democracy.

If you are against protest Tommy, then you are intolerant of others and you are the real hater of democracy because you don't believe all should be heard and considered.

You need to let go of your irrational hatred.

Forum List

Back