Site very slow today but only when I'm logged in

Sherlock Holmes

Gold Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2024
The site is very slow today, navigating around the site is impossible, any request takes from 1 to several minutes to comeback. If I use a different browser where I am not logged into the site, then it reacts instantaneously. Some how me being logged in, is causing weird delays or timeouts. If this post arrives I'll be pleased! I can see other activity, other users are posting as normal it seems, so oddly this looks like its just my account. I did an account upgrade yesterday but aside from that cannot think of anything to explain this. I also see I have no PM pending either.

The site is very slow today, navigating around the site is impossible, any request takes from 1 to several minutes to comeback. If I use a different browser where I am not logged into the site, then it reacts instantaneously. Some how me being logged in, is causing weird delays or timeouts. If this post arrives I'll be pleased! I can see other activity, other users are posting as normal it seems, so oddly this looks like its just my account. I did an account upgrade yesterday but aside from that cannot think of anything to explain this. I also see I have no PM pending either.

Ad tracker perhaps? Or something along those lines?

No discernible difference in my experience with the site today.

Definitely a case for a Sherlock Holmes

Turn off your ad blockers one at a time.

I don't have ad blockers, well not in the Brave browser that I ordinarily use. I also don't see how the presence of an ad-blocker would be sensitive to whether a visitor is authenticated or not.

I used Chrome, disabled the ad blocker for the site's domain and logged in, the behavior is the same.

Almost every request takes many tens of seconds, perhaps even minutes and then renders this page, irrespective of where I had clicked to go.

1725813030439.png

More oddness, in the Brave browser session, despite it being slow, I was able to post the above update and can see it and see Delldude's reply about cookies.

But in the other browser, where I'm not logged in, I see only this:

Its as if the site is distributed, with mirror sites or something. For some reason me being logged in here (East Arizona) seems to get me sent to a very slow server, whereas when I'm not logged in and for other users too, they are getting sent to a normal responsive server.

Maybe you're being monitored?

It's not the site, it's a bottleneck somewhere between your ISP and the server that hosts USMB. I keep maximum ad blocks on in Firefox and everything runs just fine.

Download something like Openvisual Traceroute and find out where the bottlenecks are.

It's not the site, it's a bottleneck somewhere between your ISP and the server that hosts USMB. I keep maximum ad blocks on in Firefox and everything runs just fine.

Download something like Openvisual Traceroute and find out where the bottlenecks are.

It might be the humidity.

Well I checked on the situation and it turns out to be a bad news day for Harris. So they all got together to slow down the free flow of information. I just pray that my Trumpy will do something about this fuckery once he wins in a big landslide in November.

I attached to a different ISP (I have two, CenturyLink and T-Mobile) and the behavior is unchanged.

Forum List

Back