Smoker's - A Place to Work & Shop?

I'm not saying make it a REQUIREMENT to smoke, just that they would allow it.

If I want to start a business, say, a comic book shop, in my neighborhood, but I want people to feel free to smoke while they are shopping, why not? People that don't like it can go elsewhere... why is this a problem?

Because smoking cannot exist in a vacuum. Literally.
In other words it is impossible for one person in a roomful of people to be smoking. If one person lights up, everybody in the area is smoking. Whether they want to or not. And that's the issue. It always has been.

If one person in the same roomful of people is drinking --- that doesn't happen.

If I clearly state that smoking is allowed in my bar you don't have to drink there if you will be bothered by the smoke do you??

Nope. I don't do bars anyway so I don't care.
But that wasn't the point. The point is that if a given person DOES walk in and somebody is smoking -- then that newcomer is smoking too. There's no way around that.

If the person walks into the store that has a sign on it that says " smoking is allowed " they are making a choice.

Lets enter my wayback machine and look at what life was like when we allowed smoking everywhere

- Your hair and clothes stank when you went out
- You were forced to breathe in hazardous fumes
- You had smoke blown in your face
- Cigarette butts were thown all over
- You watched a movie through a cloud of smoke
- Smokers burned holes in tables, chairs and anyone nearby
- They started fires by carelessly throwing lit cigarettes
- Your loved ones died premature deaths because of their filthy habit

Banning smoking in public is the best thing our society ever did

If I want to start a business, say, a comic book shop, in my neighborhood, but I want people to feel free to smoke while they are shopping, why not? People that don't like it can go elsewhere... why is this a problem?

In other words it is impossible for one person in a roomful of people to be smoking. If one person lights up, everybody in the area is smoking. Whether they want to or not. And that's the issue. It always has been.

If one person in the same roomful of people is drinking --- that doesn't happen.

If I clearly state that smoking is allowed in my bar you don't have to drink there if you will be bothered by the smoke do you??

But that wasn't the point. The point is that if a given person DOES walk in and somebody is smoking -- then that newcomer is smoking too. There's no way around that.

If the person walks into the store that has a sign on it that says " smoking is allowed " they are making a choice.

Same as a sign that says "No colored allowed"

Lets enter my wayback machine and look at what life was like when we allowed smoking everywhere

You just said banning adult decision making is great public policy.

Sad for you

Wrong

Where did I ever say to allow smoking everywhere again?

I am asking you why you think it's any skin off your dick if towns allowed a limited number of place to allow smoking.

It's called balance.

Regardless of what side of the argument you are on here... equating skin color (not a choice)(a physical attribute) with smoking (a choice) (an action) ... makes ZERO sense.

Sad for you

No...if you bother to read

Banning an activity that is offensive to others is great public policy

Sad for you

Then banning free speech must be on your agenda.

I don't know about you but most of what the idiots here and IRL say is offensive to me

Regardless of what side of the argument you are on here... equating skin color (not a choice)(a physical attribute) with smoking (a choice) (an action) ... makes ZERO sense.

It relates to a business having the ability to specify who and who they won't serve
as well as the ability to permit customers to engage in activity that is harmful to their employees and other customers

It relates to a business having the ability to specify who and who they won't serve
as well as the ability to permit customers to engage in activity that is harmful to their employees and other customers

No I'm sure a business that allows smoking will still serve people who don't smoke if they choose to patronize it just as a nonsmoking establishment will still serve smokers as long as they don't smoke inside. It's not as big a deal as you think.

If you apply for a job in a bar that allows smoking then you make that choice as well don't you?

If a business allows smoking, they are not banning non-smokers!
Non smokers can CHOOSE not to work for or frequent that business.

Your comparison would be better compared to Whites not wanting to go to a store because Blacks were allowed in. Even THAT is not a good comparison, but is closer....

No I'm sure a business that allows smoking will still serve people who don't smoke if they choose to patronize it just as a nonsmoking establishment will still serve smokers as long as they don't smoke inside. It's not as big a deal as you think.

If you apply for a job in a bar that allows smoking then you make that choice as well don't you?

Right now those businesses serve smokers who are not engaging in their filthy habit
That is the way it should be

Employees should not be forced to choose between jeopardizing their health and having a job

Sad for you

So no offensive behavior is to be allowed.

Banning legal activities is offensive to me.

See how that works

Sad for you

So no offensive behavior is to be allowed.

Banning legal activities is offensive to me.

See how that works

If it is offensive and dangerous to you, you are welcome to get the laws changed. Just like non-smokers did

See how that works?

Right now those businesses serve smokers who are not engaging in their filthy habit

Employees should not be forced to choose between jeopardizing their health and having a job

No one would be forcing them to work in a smoking establishment would they?

Some of us don't need the government to make all our decisions for us like you do

Some of us don't need the government to make all our decisions for us like you do

In some cases you are

If all the restaurants in town allow smoking then all waitresses are forced to work in a smoke filled environment
Why should an employee have to make a choice of working in a hazardous workplace?

Are you sick?

The truth is that most businesses would remain non smoking if all bans were lifted.

It is simply economic reality.

The few that would allow smoking would be a few bars, a few restaurants and perhaps the niche business here and there.

The nannies like Rightwinger would still have their Senior Citizen centers fully available to them completely smoke free

In some cases you are

If all the restaurants in town allow smoking then all waitresses are forced to work in a smoke filled environment
Why should an employee have to make a choice of working in a hazardous workplace?

Are you sick?

OK Now tell me where I said ALL restaurants shod be be able to allow smoking.

I have always specified SOME establishments and I have directly asked you that if a limited number of smoking permits were issued what would it matter.

But as usual you would rather be disingenuous and misrepresent my posts.

Seems you really do need government to think for you after all

Forum List

Back