Smoking Bans

Should Smoking be Banned in Businesses?

• Total voters
The smoking ban in Illinois has worked out great. Bars and restaurants haven't shut down like all of the doom and gloomers predicted.

That must be nice. Did you know in some places, people still have to decide for themselves whether or not they want to dine with smokers! Oh, the humanity.
Sucks for them! I highly prefer eating in places that don't reek of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately before the ban there weren't a whole lot of places that were smoke free as business bowed down to the almighty smokers who make up a smaller percentage of the population. Too bad that they have to get off their lazy asses and go outside now.

What did you do before? I mean, how in the world did you decide, all by yourself!? It must have been terribly stressful.

I'll tell you what I did before.

I sucked it up and breathed in the filth they were spitting out. My eyes were irritated, my hair and clothes stank and I risked whatever damage might get done. I had no other choices....breathe in the filth or stay home. For fear of offending smokers, most businesses reluctantly tolerated smoking in their establishment. They did not want to be "the one" who stood up to smokers

It took government to level the playing field. Nobody could allow smoking. Nobody received extra benefit and nobody received extra punishment. Should have been done decades ago

Ahh ... so it was YOU who "bowed down to the almighty smokers"! If you'd had a pair and stood your ground, maybe half of us wouldn't now be whining to government like helpless children, begging them to make every goddamned decision for us.

Yes, I bowed down to the almighty smokers. My first job out of college, my boss was a chain smoker. Four packs a day or more. I could have raised an issue about my boss being able to smoke in the workplace but when it came to evaluations, he would have had to decide whether my presence in the office made his life easier
Then a strange thing happened. In the early 80s, NOBODY was allowed to smoke, regardless of how much power you had. No worker was expected to risk their job or risk enraging fellow workers just to have a clean working environment

For 150 years, smokers got to decide what kind of air others were allowed to breathe. Now they have to breathe our air

Very true

And adults should be capable of deciding when it is acceptable to light up and when it isn't. For decades, smokers were unable to make that distinction on their own........now they have to be told

Adults don't expect to stumble through life with someone else making all their decisions for them.

Of course you do

It is part of living in a society. You don't get to make your own rules

Sure you do, for more than being forced to accept governmental mandates.

Do you feel that an adult can not make an informed decision on their own?

Yes they can

They can decide whether to smoke or not. If they decide to smoke, they can decide to do the activity where they are not offending others

The smoking ban in Illinois has worked out great. Bars and restaurants haven't shut down like all of the doom and gloomers predicted.

That must be nice. Did you know in some places, people still have to decide for themselves whether or not they want to dine with smokers! Oh, the humanity.
Sucks for them! I highly prefer eating in places that don't reek of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately before the ban there weren't a whole lot of places that were smoke free as business bowed down to the almighty smokers who make up a smaller percentage of the population. Too bad that they have to get off their lazy asses and go outside now.

You should have taken the risk to open a restaurant.

Some will never get the concept of Freedom & Liberty. They're only interested in forcing their agendas on others by way of Government intimidation and force. They're small-minded Authoritarian jerks. But hey, nice attempt at reasoning with them. However, most won't get it.

What did you do before? I mean, how in the world did you decide, all by yourself!? It must have been terribly stressful.

I sucked it up and breathed in the filth they were spitting out. My eyes were irritated, my hair and clothes stank and I risked whatever damage might get done. I had no other choices....breathe in the filth or stay home. For fear of offending smokers, most businesses reluctantly tolerated smoking in their establishment. They did not want to be "the one" who stood up to smokers

It took government to level the playing field. Nobody could allow smoking. Nobody received extra benefit and nobody received extra punishment. Should have been done decades ago

Ahh ... so it was YOU who "bowed down to the almighty smokers"! If you'd had a pair and stood your ground, maybe half of us wouldn't now be whining to government like helpless children, begging them to make every goddamned decision for us.

Yes, I bowed down to the almighty smokers. My first job out of college, my boss was a chain smoker. Four packs a day or more. I could have raised an issue about my boss being able to smoke in the workplace but when it came to evaluations, he would have had to decide whether my presence in the office made his life easier
Then a strange thing happened. In the early 80s, NOBODY was allowed to smoke, regardless of how much power you had. No worker was expected to risk their job or risk enraging fellow workers just to have a clean working environment

For 150 years, smokers got to decide what kind of air others were allowed to breathe. Now they have to breathe our air

You go RW - wave the flag, stand tall and take back this nation in the name of all those who don't dare think for themselves.

We demand freedom from choice!!

Freedom & Liberty is an alien concept to small-minded Authoritarians. It even scares them. And unfortunately, both major political parties are controlled by Big Government Authoritarians.

People are only deluding themselves if they think there's any real difference between the two parties. They're all Big Government Authoritarian Globalists in the end. We desperately need an alternative.

No point in arguing this. The bans aren't going away as much as some of you don't like them.

People still have the right to smoke, they just need to go outside to do it. And we're all better off for it.

No point in arguing this. The bans aren't going away as much as some of you don't like them.

People still have the right to smoke, they just need to go outside to do it. And we're all better off for it.

It's always worthwhile to argue against idiocy.

You go RW - wave the flag, stand tall and take back this nation in the name of all those who don't dare think for themselves.

Don't have to

The battle has been won and smokers have been driven off to the fringes of our society where they belong

Don't have to

The battle has been won and smokers have been driven off to the fringes of our society where they belong

Heh... hell yes! Don't araid to own it man!

Don't have to

Own it? No, I had nothing to do with it
Celebrate it? Hell yea!

You libs really are overly emotional.

You libs really are overly emotional.

Wasn't me who started the thread.....I'm OK with banning smoking in public areas

Don't have to

Celebrate it? Hell yea!

I just meant it's nice to see you getting in touch with your inner jack-booted thug. Maybe you can go cruise the 'fringes of society' and enjoy the wailing of defeated smokers.

Someone supporting a smoking ban is a jack booted thug. Have to love far-right wing hyperbole.

The hyperbole was from RW, talking about pushing smokers to the 'fringes of society where they belong'. That kind of comment has a thuggish vibe to it, doncha think?

Don't have to

Celebrate it? Hell yea!

I just meant it's nice to see you getting in touch with your inner jack-booted thug. Maybe you can go cruise the 'fringes of society' and enjoy the wailing of defeated smokers.

Asking a smoker to take his disgusting habit elsewhere does not constitute a "Jack booted thug"

Someone supporting a smoking ban is a jack booted thug. Have to love far-right wing hyperbole.

The hyperbole was from RW, talking about pushing smokers to the 'fringes of society where they belong'. That kind of comment has a thuggish vibe to it, doncha think?

Smokers are not welcome in our society while they are engaging in their filthy habit

What I like best is the number of smokers who are not even welcome in their own homes

He is being a bit hyperbolic as we just ask them to step outside to smoke their cigarette now. Not really a big deal even here in Chicago where it is incredibly cold all winter long. The difference between you and RW is that his hyperbole was intentional. Your hyperbole is because you're on the crazy end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Smokers are not welcome in our society while they are engaging in their filthy habit

What I like best is the number of smokers who are not even welcome in their own homes

Does your family tree track through Salem, MA, perchance?

Does your family tree track through Salem, MA, perchance?

Now requiring smokers to smoke outside equates to burning at the stake?

Nice job Capt Hyperbole

Forum List

Back