Smoking Quitting Ruminations

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I still haven't been able to quit completely, but for a number of years, whenever I wear a nicotine patch I can get by on just a few cigarettes a day. Which is a giant improvement over my many years of a pack of Marlboros a day. For years, I've been almost able to shake off smoking, but not completely.

A cold-turkey nicotine fit without a patch is the grand tour of Hell. It's amazing how a complete nicotine withdrawal can put a person through so much torture when there is nothing physically wrong with that person.

Basically, this thread is for any thoughts, experiences or advice for a person parting company with cigarettes forever.

I hear ya.

I'm on day 5 of cutting down from a pack and a half a day to 3-5 cigarettes a day.

Excellent. You'll notice (if you haven't already) that your sense of smell and deep breathing capacity is certainly improved by now, yes?

I know this question may be a little off topic. Which is best (or worst), smoke and maintain a healthy body weight or not smoke and be a fatty?

I know this question may be a little off topic. Which is best (or worst), smoke and maintain a healthy body weight or not smoke and be a fatty?

That would depend on what you're using to measure "best".
Health and longevity.

You'd have to get pretty fat for the health risks of obesity to outweigh those of smoking cigarettes.

There are other ways to lose weight, other than smoking.
True, there are other ways. The problem is having the discipline to take advantage of those other ways.

That would depend on what you're using to measure "best".
Health and longevity.

You'd have to get pretty fat for the health risks of obesity to outweigh those of smoking cigarettes.

There are other ways to lose weight, other than smoking.
True, there are other ways. The problem is having the discipline to take advantage of those other ways.

You can do one at a time. Quit smoking, push through the withdrawal, get to a good position, then worry about losing any weight you've gained.

I still haven't been able to quit completely, but for a number of years, whenever I wear a nicotine patch I can get by on just a few cigarettes a day. Which is a giant improvement over my many years of a pack of Marlboros a day. For years, I've been almost able to shake off smoking, but not completely.

A cold-turkey nicotine fit without a patch is the grand tour of Hell. It's amazing how a complete nicotine withdrawal can put a person through so much torture when there is nothing physically wrong with that person.

Basically, this thread is for any thoughts, experiences or advice for a person parting company with cigarettes forever.
I quit 25 years ago. The key thing I told myself when I got a bad craving to smoke is that "no, I will have one later."After a few minutes the craving will pass. Until next time. Gradually it gets less and less so that in about a month or less you are free. Seems like if you use that "Never gonna smoke again" mindset it makes it harder.

Why not quit and then start walking around the block on a daily basis? Not only will it help with controlling your weight, but when you start to notice your breath coming back stronger, you will understand why you are quitting smoking.

Why not quit and then start walking around the block on a daily basis? Not only will it help with controlling your weight, but when you start to notice your breath coming back stronger, you will understand why you are quitting smoking.
I have never smoked. Don’t plan on starting either. My question was based on observation of how some people pack on 20 or more lbs after they quit. Not all people are like that though.

There isn't really any "best" brand of cigarette for that. Smoking itself really has no effect on a person's body weight - except when a person quits, some people eat a lot more to keep their mouths "too busy" to smoke. But I've seen smokers of the whole weight specrum - from morbidly too thin to morbidly too fat.

There isn't really any "best" brand of cigarette for that. Smoking itself really has no effect on a person's body weight - except when a person quits, some people eat a lot more to keep their mouths "too busy" to smoke. But I've seen smokers of the whole weight specrum - from morbidly too thin to morbidly too fat.
Yes, it affects people differently.

I have a cousin who used to smoke religiously and Chantix is what made him quit for good. He was only on that stuff for like a month and that was it. He hasn't smoked in almost nine years now.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

I quit 17 years ago. I used the patch for a week and then stayed cold turkey after that.

The current thinking is that it takes about three weeks for a habit to form. So, if you want to change a lifestyle issue, it takes at least that long to set.

I found that the nicotine attacks really only last about 3 to 10 minutes. So, if you can power through those moments, it increases your chances of succeeding.

The key for Me was to find something to keep My mind occupied during those moments of intense withdraws symptoms. If you're to busy to notice the craving, then you'll get through those intense periods.

Once you get three weeks to a month under your belt, the cravings seem to reduce drastically and become very manageable. It was a year, maybe 18 months before they vanished completely. Now I have none.

So, try to get through those three weeks. Set a prominent goal and make sure you can see it. Post it everywhere. In the bathroom, over the coffee pot/Keurig, whatever.

Its tough, I won't lie.

Good luck.

Forum List

Back