🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

So tired of this weather...

I can't remember the last time I had to shovel snow every morning before work. This has BY FAR been the craziest winter I can remember in many years.
And the rolling blackouts because of Texas are super frustrating. I live in an area with pretty good infrastructure but because of other areas we have to suffer.
The good news is today we're supposed to be above 0 for the first time in a week.
How is Texas affecting Kansas or Missouri? (I don’t know which side you live in)
We are in some kind of pact with multiple states so that if they have power problems we cut our usage to accommodate their needs. I assume it's Texas since they had 5 million without power
It's not Texas. Texas has an independent grid.
Ah well I didn't catch all of Evergys conference cause the power went out. They were talking about a 7 state Co op or something so I just assumed
Southwestern Power Pool (the energy sharing co-op) put out a press release yesterday stating that a shortage of natural gas was responsible for some of our reduced power supply. And we did share power with Texas.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) declared an "energy emergency alert three," also called an EEA 3, early Monday, as the third of three alert phases. In the first phase, the state looks to get electricity from other grids. The second stage shuts down large industrial users who've agreed to cut power in an emergency. The third phase is rotating outages.​
That "independent sealed grid" malarkey is fake news. That's what happens when a dumbass uses Twitter as a news source.

We send power into northern Texas and they send it on into the Greater Texas grid.

hey gramps I noticed youre a Milwaukee guy,, this guy has your power loss solution,,

I posted a small generator with a Yamaha engine and you gave it a thumbs down, but then you post this crap.
4i6Ckte.gif

Who makes the engine for Milwaukee generators? I bet you don't have a clue. Probably Briggs & Stratton or Champion - crap. I'll take Yamaha over anything other than Honda.

gas generators dont work well inside,,,

you should watch videos before commenting on them,,

That's why you set it outside and run an extension cord.
4i6Ckte.gif

what was that you said in you other comment about running long extension cords??

did you watch the video??

* No, I didn't watch the video
* It doesn't have to be a long extension cord. I'm sure there's a window within 20-25 feet of where he's working.
* I only am doing that so that the generator gets used regularly, now that I have put the gas and oil into it, instead of it sitting until I actually need it (bad!) Otherwise I have plenty of long 12/3 extensions.

Only window anywhere near me is glass block. Absolutely hate them because it's like working under a magnifying glass if the sun's out. Hot as hell.

20210217_113218.jpg

hey gramps I noticed youre a Milwaukee guy,, this guy has your power loss solution,,

I posted a small generator with a Yamaha engine and you gave it a thumbs down, but then you post this crap.
4i6Ckte.gif

Who makes the engine for Milwaukee generators? I bet you don't have a clue. Probably Briggs & Stratton or Champion - crap. I'll take Yamaha over anything other than Honda.

4i6Ckte.gif

what was that you said in you other comment about running long extension cords??

* It doesn't have to be a long extension cord. I'm sure there's a window within 20-25 feet of where he's working.
* I only am doing that so that the generator gets used regularly, now that I have put the gas and oil into it, instead of it sitting until I actually need it (bad!) Otherwise I have plenty of long 12/3 extensions.

Only window anywhere near me is glass block. Absolutely hate them because it's like working under a magnifying glass if the sun's out. Hot as hell.

View attachment 458255

I like how you run a clean job site,, I've worked with to many people that didnt care there was a mess everywhere,,

4i6Ckte.gif

4i6Ckte.gif

View attachment 458255

I like how you run a clean job site,, I've worked with to many people that didnt care there was a mess everywhere,,

My main guy that retired a few years ago was messy as hell but the customers LOVED him so I put up with a lot more than I should have.

I can't remember the last time I had to shovel snow every morning before work. This has BY FAR been the craziest winter I can remember in many years.
And the rolling blackouts because of Texas are super frustrating. I live in an area with pretty good infrastructure but because of other areas we have to suffer.
The good news is today we're supposed to be above 0 for the first time in a week.
How is Texas affecting Kansas or Missouri? (I don’t know which side you live in)
We are in some kind of pact with multiple states so that if they have power problems we cut our usage to accommodate their needs. I assume it's Texas since they had 5 million without power
Ah well I didn't catch all of Evergys conference cause the power went out. They were talking about a 7 state Co op or something so I just assumed
Southwestern Power Pool (the energy sharing co-op) put out a press release yesterday stating that a shortage of natural gas was responsible for some of our reduced power supply. And we did share power with Texas.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) declared an "energy emergency alert three," also called an EEA 3, early Monday, as the third of three alert phases. In the first phase, the state looks to get electricity from other grids. The second stage shuts down large industrial users who've agreed to cut power in an emergency. The third phase is rotating outages.​
That "independent sealed grid" malarkey is fake news. That's what happens when a dumbass uses Twitter as a news source.

We send power into northern Texas and they send it on into the Greater Texas grid.
No where in your source does it state Texas is getting electric from other states. It did state that in 2011 it imported some electric from Mexico. So much for fake news.

Last edited:

No where in your source does it state Texas is getting electric from other states. It did state that in 2011 it imported some electric from Mexico. So much for fake news.

It's fake news...

The Texas Grid is tied directly to the Southwestern Power Pool. When they need power, power is shared.

This talking point "Texas power grid cannot..." blah blah blah is bullshit.

The Texas Interconnection is maintained as a separate grid for political, rather than technical reasons,[1] but can also draw some power from other grids using ties. By not crossing state lines, the power grid is in most respects not subject to federal (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulation.[2]
You have been duped by fake news.

I'm not blaming you. I blame the media for propagating misinformation.

Once upon a time I was contracted to power co-ops for storm damage operations. You end up learning a lot about the electric grid in the process.

No power grid in North America is "on it's own. They all share power in emergencies. North Texas is a part of the 14 state Southwestern Power Pool by design exactly for this purpose. When Texas Interconnection grid needs power, it is routed into Texas via a tie within the State of Texas...thereby making it an intrastate power transfer not subject to federal regulation.

Screenshot_2021-02-17-13-14-42(1).png

It's fake news...

The Texas Grid is tied directly to the Southwestern Power Pool. When they need power, power is shared.

The Texas Interconnection is maintained as a separate grid for political, rather than technical reasons,[1] but can also draw some power from other grids using ties. By not crossing state lines, the power grid is in most respects not subject to federal (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulation.[2]

Once upon a time I was contracted to power co-ops for storm damage operations. You end up learning a lot about the electric grid in the process.

No power grid in North America is "on it's own. They all share power in emergencies. North Texas is a part of the 14 state Southwestern Power Pool by design exactly for this purpose. When Texas Interconnection grid needs power, it is routed into Texas via a tie within the State of Texas...thereby making it an intrastate power transfer not subject to federal regulation.

View attachment 458293
Your own source says that Texas is independent due to political reasons. Yes Texas is connected to the rest of Texas. It has been that way since 1935. Read your own freaking source. Note your own map only includes Texas.

It's fake news...

View attachment 458293
Your own source says that Texas is independent due to political reasons. Yes Texas is connected to the rest of Texas. It has been that way since 1935. Read your own freaking source. Note your own map only includes Texas.
That is correct...parts of Texas are connected to three other grids and those grids are connected to the Texas Interconnection grid.

It's fake news...

View attachment 458293
It's just a small part of a larger map...

Screenshot_2021-02-17-16-57-27(1).png
Screenshot_2021-02-17-13-14-42(1).png

There are three other grids operating within the borders of the state of Texas. This is by design. Texas Interconnection can both buy and sell electicity within the borders of Texas without interference from federal regulations. As long as the ties to other grids are within Texas, Texas Interconnection is buying and selling intrastate power.

Understand?

It's fake news...

View attachment 458293
That is correct...parts of Texas are connected to three other grids and those grids are connected to the Texas Interconnection grid.
El Paso hasn’t had a single power outage. Because...Western Interconnect.

I've been looking at the same pile of snow shoveled into the corner of my back deck for the last three weeks. This is rare for western Va. Next week they promise 50's on tuesday and wednesday but we have to endure a snow, ice, rain event in the next couple of days. Meanwhile you gotta laugh that the "Weather Channel" is going nuts putting different "storm" names on what amounts to a single event caused by a dip in the jet stream.

Forum List

Back