Social Media comments getting people fired

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Geez, even a baby bird knows not to shit in their own nest. People, especially managers and others who hold positions of responsibility, who post controversial, violent or racist comments on their Facebook or other social media pages deserve what they get.

Columbia fires 2 more firefighters, closes station over Facebook post

CBS46 photojournalist fired over racist rants about Black Lives Matter on Facebook | Radio and TV Talk

Former Miss Alabama on why she called the Dallas shooter a 'martyr' - CNN.com

Browns say “just an apology” insufficient for Crowell after “unacceptable” post

Geez, even a baby bird knows not to shit in their own nest. People, especially managers and others who hold positions of responsibility, who post controversial, violent or racist comments on their Facebook or other social media pages deserve what they get.

CBS46 photojournalist fired over racist rants about Black Lives Matter on Facebook | Radio and TV Talk

Actually, baby birds do shit in their nests. It seems to me that free speech is still a right in this country. That includes the right to say stupid things. That includes the right to say things your boss disagrees with. Unless the comments you make -that are done on your own time and on your own FB or twitter or whatever- are somehow work related, it is none of your boss's business.

That said, obviously, sometimes restraint in what you share is wise.

We've always warned that liberals will become the Thought Police given the chance. They hate free speech, and if you so much as dare to have a contrary opinion, they will bully you, attack you, and try to ruin your life.

What's happening these days with social media policing and subsequent firings is just the start of how progressives want to control everyone's lives.

I post whatever the fuck I want online I sure in the hell don't post about my job or my wife's lol

Actually, baby birds do shit in their nests. It seems to me that free speech is still a right in this country. That includes the right to say stupid things. That includes the right to say things your boss disagrees with. Unless the comments you make -that are done on your own time and on your own FB or twitter or whatever- are somehow work related, it is none of your boss's business.

I'm all for free speech but I'm also for the rights of business owners. As an owner you do have to worry about public perception of your business. If they fire someone because they stupidly put their bias out on social media they are protecting themselves and their other employees from any public backlash.

We've always warned that liberals will become the Thought Police given the chance. They hate free speech, and if you so much as dare to have a contrary opinion, they will bully you, attack you, and try to ruin your life.

What's happening these days with social media policing and subsequent firings is just the start of how progressives want to control everyone's lives.
It's corporations who create jobs and are terminating people from their jobs, not the fucking Liberals or the US government.

Free speech is a protection from government, not employment. Do you feel you have a right to a job? If so, that's definitely LW thinking.

As ThunderKiss1965 posted, employers have a legitimate reason to protect their company from bad PR. Would you want to seek the business of a store that was known to cater and support Aryan Assholes? Islamic Terrorists?

The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate reason to dissociate themselves from employees who post crap like this:
isaiah-crowell-cop-image-071116jpg_z96mbgva3yn01unzacy3ui36c.jpg

Another ignorant rightwing moron.

This has nothing to do with "free speech."

Another ignorant rightwing moron.

This has nothing to do with "free speech."

Coming from someone like you that opposes free speech, it's not a surprise you think someone speaking isn't about speech.

I'm all for free speech but I'm also for the rights of business owners. As an owner you do have to worry about public perception of your business. If they fire someone because they stupidly put their bias out on social media they are protecting themselves and their other employees from any public backlash.
Again, this has nothing to do with "free speech," this is private sector, not government.

The First Amendment applies only to government, not private employers.

Free speech is a protection from government, not employment. Do you feel you have a right to a job? If so, that's definitely LW thinking.

As ThunderKiss1965 posted, employers have a legitimate reason to protect their company from bad PR. Would you want to seek the business of a store that was known to cater and support Aryan Assholes? Islamic Terrorists?

The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate reason to dissociate themselves from employees who post crap like this:
isaiah-crowell-cop-image-071116jpg_z96mbgva3yn01unzacy3ui36c.jpg
That scumbag football player that posted the above gets fired, that's his problem. I just don't happen to believe that an employer is responsible for the thought crimes of their employees. When that POS football player went to prision for abusing dogs nobody believed the NFL was pro dog abuse.

Looks like when you read an opinion that doesn't completely agree with your view, you cry, Left Winger! Try using your reason instead of your kneejerk.

That scumbag football player that posted the above gets fired, that's his problem. I just don't happen to believe that an employer is responsible for the thought crimes of their employees. When that POS football player went to prision for abusing dogs nobody believed the NFL was pro dog abuse.

Looks like when you read an opinion that doesn't completely agree with your view, you cry, Left Winger! Try using your reason instead of your kneejerk.
1) If someone posts a picture promoting terrorism, calls a mass murderer a martyr or advocates racism, genocide or some other repugnant position, it's not a "thought", it's a public pronouncement.

2) Having a "right" to a job is a LW position.

3) Michael Vick was suspended from the NFL for violating it's player conduct policy.

4) I get accused of being a RWNJ by LWLs and a LWL by RWNJs. It's easy to see which one you are. ;)

1) If someone posts a picture promoting terrorism, calls a mass murderer a martyr or advocates racism, genocide or some other repugnant position, it's not a "thought", it's a public pronouncement.

3) Michael Vick was suspended from the NFL for violating it's player conduct policy.

4) I get accused of being a RWNJ by LWLs and a LWL by RWNJs. It's easy to see which one you are. ;)

#1. Repugnant positions are not always a promotion to a repugnant act. Surely every opinion said out loud is a public pronouncement. Even that horrible picture of the terrorist slitting the cop's throat is not a clear call to action. (I don't like it either, but you can't prove intent.)
#2. Who said anybody has a right to a job?
#3. You spoke of how an employee's outside of work activities reflect on the employer. I responded to that. In case you missed it. When Vick was rehired by the NFL there was no assumption that the NFL was into dog fighting. They suspended him. Big whip. He couldn't play while he was in prison anyway.
#4. A self declared moderate gets called all sorts of things so he returns the favor. How very moderate of you.

Do you believe that an employer ought to police the opinions/activities of his employees? If so, how should he go about doing that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back