Something from a grandson

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
He posted this on Facebook and if this interests any poster, contact me.

This sounds like his own idea.
Hey everyone! I just started a project called @itsnotpoliticalitscultural and I'd like to share the opportunity that I believe exists to deepen our sense of unity and strengthen our respect for one another at the festivals which bring together people from multiple states.
American culture teaches us that we need to be willing to, at a moment's notice, change ourselves so that we can fit in. American culture is about "fake it till you make it" - be whoever you need to be in order to get a job anywhere in the US.
Rave culture is an attempt at tackling that, but unfortunately it shares a major shortcoming with mainstream American culture: the cultural norm is eccentric individual expression, and so we created a culture that still expects conformity. You must wear kandi, you must dress up, etc. You must prove you are one of us in order to be accepted.
It's Not Political, It's Cultural seeks to inspire Americans to create strong local cultures and learn to respect cultural differences. By doing so, we can be proud to be part of our local communities while being curious about what it's like elsewhere.
At European festivals, people bring and display their country flags. People ask each other about them. And that opens the door to learning about each other, learning what it's like back home. I'd like to see Americans start doing this with their state flags. I don't need to see how eccentric you can dress: I want to know what state you're from and what you are doing to bring PLUR into your community. I don't care about the politics of your state. You are at this fest, you believe in our values, so I trust that you are fighting for love back home. Help me foster empathy and respect for my fellow Americans, not just ravers.

Forum List

Back