Soviet Soldiers and Rapes after WW2

Mortimer

Gold Member
Many people talk sometimes in the context of WW2 that Soviets raped women in Europe.

I think it did happen, but the ones who did it were "peasants" not officers, and it was not approved, if a soviet officer caughts you he might punish you heavily, even shoot you. I think it was not a plann for revenge, it happened but was punished. What do you think?

Júst remember Russia lost around 30 million to the Nazis in defending their country --and, when required, running to flee .Mass rape and pillage was the norm ( still normal and not Norman ) . So, however misplaced revenge might be in the long run , it is perfectly understandable how most Russian soldiers felt when the opportunity for primitive justice came along .

Many people talk sometimes in the context of WW2 that Soviets raped women in Europe.

I think it did happen, but the ones who did it were "peasants" not officers, and it was not approved, if a soviet officer caughts you he might punish you heavily, even shoot you. I think it was not a plann for revenge, it happened but was punished. What do you think?

Is this another of your wind-up topics?

It’s true about the Soviets, mainly because their government turned a blind eye to their transgressions.

Similar ‘activities’ indulged in by the allies, which they did do to a lesser extent, resulted in severe punishments.

Old saying by women at that time: Better a Russian on your belly than a bayonet in your belly.

Not true. It was widespread and fully endorsed by their officers.

Forum List

Back