Splinter & Jason: Magic-Metro

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
It's amazing how modernism storytelling often involves all manner of underworld incantations and very unusual spectres/phantoms. We see such storytelling in new age films such as Army of Darkness, Ghost in the Machine, and Leviathan which combine elements of modern weaponry (e.g., chainsaws!) with primal fears (e.g., civilization disintegration!).

It's this 'brand' of 'structural experimentation' that may set our epoch's 'creative bravado' apart from the others, helping society critics distinguish between the superstition stories of yesteryear (i.e., The Hound of the Baskervilles) from the graphic calamity stories of today (i.e., Jason X).

Here's a modern yarn I wrote involving two 'new age avatars' --- Master Splinter (the yogi-guru of a band of heroic giant mutant ninja turtles from the modern comics-stylized franchise TMNT) and Jason Voorhees (iconic hockey-mask wearing zombie from the modern Friday the 13th horror-film franchise).

How much do we 'value' the 'modern world'?

Cheers,

====

Master Splinter the Rat was reading his copy of Treasure Island in his sewer-den under the tunnels of NYC on Halloween Eve. Splinter was ruminating on the human imagination and instincts which catered to a natural fascination with ornaments. Splinter wondered how many people were dressed in colorful masks and costumes and accessories to highlight their revelry of Halloween. He also wondered if the general 'ornamental festivity' of Halloween would spawn some kind of 'anti-social monster' who would prey on the sensibilities of pedestrians perhaps 'childishly bragging' about their costumes/masks. Such a monster would obviously believe himself (or herself!) to be some form of 'purism prophecy-messenger.' Splinter meditated deeply.

Splinter reasoned that an anti-social 'predator' roaming around on Halloween Eve would certainly be interested in the 'glaring vanities' of 'mindless trick-or-treaters' childishly wandering around in costumes and masks of avatars they did not care much for but were 'embracing' simply to disguise themselves to make candy-picking more...colorful. Splinter concluded this 'anti-Halloween predator' would be some manifestation of the inner-demons of the soul which viewed the simplicity of culture-color festivity as some kind of 'immature' or even childish superficial spiritualism. Splinter began hypothesizing what this monster would be like and concluded that he would be like Jason Voorhees!

Jason was the fictional hockey-mask wearing zombie from the popular Friday the 13th horror-film franchise who stalked random people at a camp called Crystal Lake in retribution for his terrible drowning as a child by neglectful camp-counselors. Jason roamed around the woods by Crystal Lake, carrying his terrible machete and using it to hack off limbs and heads. Jason represented pure primal rage and monstrous unnatural terror, so Splinter reasoned that a 'phantom' or 'spectre' or some kind of 'anti-social gargoyle' who would devastate people on Halloween Eve might be a freak resembling Jason Voorhees --- perhaps in body and soul! Splinter decided to write notes in his journal about the potential threat that the 'metaphysical spirit' of Jason would pose for a Halloween made vulnerable by 'anti-social fantasies.'

JASON: What are you reading?
SPLINTER: Who are you? Are you Jason?
JASON: What are you reading?
SPLINTER: I was reading Treasure Island and thinking of you...
JASON: Do you know why I'm here, Master Splinter?
SPLINTER: No. How did you know my name?
JASON: I came to you, because you thought deeply about me.
SPLINTER: I was meditating on the symbolism of Friday the 13th films.
JASON: You reasoned that a 'Halloween spectre' might resemble me!
SPLINTER: I thought that anti-Halloween rage could 'invoke' your aura.
JASON: You were correct; I am the spirit that governs over 'The Mad.'
SPLINTER: What is 'The Mad,' Jason?
JASON: The Mad is a state-of-being that defies the uniformity of civilization.
SPLINTER: Does 'The Mad' represent a wraith against technology?
JASON: Not necessarily technology, but the impact of tools are considered!
SPLINTER: I suppose you despise trick-or-treaters carrying fake chainsaws.
JASON: There's nothing wrong with ornaments...as long as they're worshipped.
SPLINTER: You subject people to 'tools and toys.' You must depart from paradise!
JASON: I will vanish; but remember my omen --- devices are treasures.

====

collage3.jpg

Forum List

Back