Stand and Deliver

I didn't know your thread title was a movie title

I just know that instead of standing and delivering a lesson to your (imaginary) students you are posting on the internet
Comment on the topic or go away, troll.

Some teachers take the lazy route and show movies all the damn time. I consider that "phoning it in" and don't do it too often. When I do show movies, they are related to the unit we are working on. These are older movies without racing cars or bikini models. The students tend to hate the movies I choose when I rarely show them.

My most advanced ESL class is working on a unit about education. The text is ridiculously outdated, so I have been supplementing with my own original content. Last week, I showed them Stand and Deliver. The movie came out in 1988, so I expected the kids to hate it, but I was wrong. These are kids that many of you would be terrified of just from looking at them, but they were mesmerized by the film. I was really surprised. Lots of productive class discussions following. The kids know what's up.
Are we talking Lupins?

First off no reason to be terrified or terrorized by the kid features and second congrats on engaging their minds.

I am advocate in teaching by using life experiences like when cooking it is just not about the measurement and taste but they should know the history of the dish they are making.

So congrats.
Last year, we were doing a unit on teen drivers so I had the kids pair up and make brief dialogs about taking the road test. We went out in the parking lot and the kids sat in my car and acted out their dialogs. At the end of each, the "instructor" decided if their "student" passed the test or not.

Some teachers take the lazy route and show movies all the damn time. I consider that "phoning it in" and don't do it too often. When I do show movies, they are related to the unit we are working on. These are older movies without racing cars or bikini models. The students tend to hate the movies I choose when I rarely show them.

My most advanced ESL class is working on a unit about education. The text is ridiculously outdated, so I have been supplementing with my own original content. Last week, I showed them Stand and Deliver. The movie came out in 1988, so I expected the kids to hate it, but I was wrong. These are kids that many of you would be terrified of just from looking at them, but they were mesmerized by the film. I was really surprised. Lots of productive class discussions following. The kids know what's up.

That's a great movie.

Forum List

Back