🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Standards For Political Office..

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
If you had the power to set standards for political representatives, what would they be?

Honesty tops my list but I'm an optimist..:eusa_angel:

I think honesty would be number 1 , then placing the interests of Americans over the interests of business , USA government and foreign governments .

They must remain on a sodium thiopental drip at all times.

Oh, and term limits.

1920px-Pentothal_vintage_package_-_truth_serum.jpg

Intelligence. Being smart enough to properly identify the source of a problem. If you can't properly identify the source of a problem, then your solutions will be non-starters, at best, and disastrous at their worst. And if you are an idiot, you can't solve shit and will spend your days whining about problems without solving a single one.

Courage. Having the guts to put a solution on the table, and defend it against the brainless cowards who have no other ability than being able to whine about your plan.

Integrity. Integrity is more than honesty. Honesty is, "Yes, your ass looks fat in them jeans." Integrity is admitting when you were wrong and also being able to kick an idiot in the nuts even if they are on your team. Integrity is keeping your promises. Integrity is being incorruptible. Integrity means honoring the vow you made to your electorate. Integrity is a total package. If you can't be faithful to your wife or your family, you certainly won't be faithful to the strangers who elected you.

Leadership. Leaders don't read a poll and find out what the people want and then say they will do that. That crap is for sniveling demagogues and populists. A leader tells the people what he will do, and convinces enough people it is what needs to be done. Leaders steer the course, they don't follow the crowd. Leadership requires all of the above qualities of intelligence, courage, and integrity.

Last edited:
Intelligence. Being smart enough to properly identify the source of a problem. If you can't properly identify the source of a problem, then your solutions will be non-starters, at best, and disastrous at their worst. And if you are an idiot, you can't solve shit and will spend your days whining about problems without solving a single one.

Courage. Having the guts to put a solution on the table, and defend it against the brainless cowards who have no other ability than being able to whine about your plan.

Integrity. Integrity is more than honesty. Honesty is, "Yes, your ass looks fat in them jeans." Integrity is admitting when you were wrong and also being able to kick an idiot in the nuts even if they are on your team. Integrity is keeping your promises. Integrity is being incorruptible. Integrity means honoring the vow you made to your electorate. Integrity is a total package. If you can't be faithful to your wife or your family, you certainly won't be faithful to the strangers who elected you.

Leadership. Leaders don't read a poll and find out what the people want and then say they will do that. That crap is for sniveling demagogues and populists. A leader tells the people what he will do, and convinces enough people it is what needs to be done. Leaders steer the course, they don't follow the crowd. Leadership requires all of the above qualities of intelligence, courage, and integrity.

Well, that covers that topic..:lol:

And yet you support Obama.

Wow...

We already have a lot of unwritten standards that we require for our politicians that do no good. We require that politicians for national office have a degree, be a christian, be married with kids and project an image of wholesome patriotism and all we get is a fake. We demand so much image that we get no substance.

G5K nailed it with intelligence and integrity. My only contribution would be to make it illegal for lawyers to become elected representatives. Yes, there are plenty of good honest and even ethical lawyers but their education includes how to be dishonest, unethical and deceitful. So no, they cannot be trusted as a profession in my opinion.

Ultimately it boils down to being able to trust that the Representatives of We the People will form a government FOR the people. If we cannot trust them then we need someone else instead.

No, I don't. I can't stand the incompetent bastard.

You have mistaken my defense of the truth as a defense of Obama. If someone manufactures bullshit, I will kick them in the nuts, even if that manufactured bullshit is about Obama.

See: Integrity.

G5K nailed it with intelligence and integrity. My only contribution would be to make it illegal for lawyers to become elected representatives. Yes, there are plenty of good honest and even ethical lawyers but their education includes how to be dishonest, unethical and deceitful. So no, they cannot be trusted as a profession in my opinion.

Ultimately it boils down to being able to trust that the Representatives of We the People will form a government FOR the people. If we cannot trust them then we need someone else instead.

It is kind of silly to insist you don't want the people making our laws to be lawyers, don't you think?

Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer.

Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer.

It is kind of silly to insist you don't want the people making our laws to be lawyers, don't you think?

Yes, it might be silly but a lot of what gets people's backs up about legislation is the way lawyers write it. The Constitution is written in pretty straightforward language with only a couple of notable areas that are not transparent to anyone of normal intelligence.

Today's laws can be so convoluted as to be virtually incomprehensible to the average person. I would like to see a version of all legislation written in plain straightforward terms so we don't have to wait to find out what is in it. Hence the removal of lawyers from actually writing the legislation. They can review it for constitutional compliance but they cannot write it themselves.

No, I don't. I can't stand the incompetent bastard.

You have mistaken my defense of the truth as a defense of Obama. If someone manufactures bullshit, I will kick them in the nuts, even if that manufactured bullshit is about Obama.

See: Integrity.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, it might be silly but a lot of what gets people's backs up about legislation is the way lawyers write it. The Constitution is written in pretty straightforward language with only a couple of notable areas that are not transparent to anyone of normal intelligence.

That "pretty straightforward language" has still resulted in thousands of court battles about what is constitutional and what is not. :D

Much has been made out of a comma in the Second Amendment.

Today's laws can be so convoluted as to be virtually incomprehensible to the average person. I would like to see a version of all legislation written in plain straightforward terms so we don't have to wait to find out what is in it. Hence the removal of lawyers from actually writing the legislation. They can review it for constitutional compliance but they cannot write it themselves.

Laws are convoluted because there is always some asshole trying to find a loophole or angle to circumvent the laws. "Well, it didn't say I can't throw live puppies into rush hour traffic!"

And then there are the just plain retarded people: "The label on it didn't say I shouldn't ride my sled off my roof!"

You also have politicians, lawyers or not, who are always sneaking riders onto laws for their friends.

Last edited:
convoluted political language makes things obscure and I think its done on purpose .

Forum List

Back