Steven Pinker "the idea that we are blank slates, that there is no such thing as human nature, that Evolution did not shape our motives..."

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
I can't believe there are not a bunch of threads in the Philosophy forum with Pinker's name in a thread title. He is quite the public figure on the subject. He's incredibly brilliant and he challenges the choir(s). To see him linked to Noam Chomsky, a man I've had issues with regarding his political activism is delightful. It helps me respect Chomsky's professional side apart from his activism side.

Pinker has some fascinating things to say about -- Blank Slates, fairness, sameness, and equality.

I can't believe there are not a bunch of threads in the Philosophy forum with Pinker's name in a thread title. He is quite the public figure on the subject. He's incredibly brilliant and he challenges the choir(s). To see him linked to Noam Chomsky, a man I've had issues with regarding his political activism is delightful. It helps me respect Chomsky's professional side apart from his activism side.

Pinker has some fascinating things to say about -- Blank Slates, fairness, sameness, and equality.

I just had to listen to a very short snipped to get what he's about. Look, to some extent, we are a blank slate when born. however, we do have biological differences as well as genes that don't always work the way they are supposed to. We have definite family traits that go from generation to generation including diseases and mental troubles like skizophrenia. However, our environment plays a huge role in how we end up as adults as well. That cannot be denied. His attempt to support evolution over Adam and Eve or biblical understanding is silly in my opinion. There's an old saying, "You are who you hang around." Completely true.

I just had to listen to a very short snipped to get what he's about. Look, to some extent, we are a blank slate when born. however, we do have biological differences as well as genes that don't always work the way they are supposed to. We have definite family traits that go from generation to generation including diseases and mental troubles like skizophrenia. However, our environment plays a huge role in how we end up as adults as well. That cannot be denied. His attempt to support evolution over Adam and Eve or biblical understanding is silly in my opinion. There's an old saying, "You are who you hang around." Completely true.
The entire endeavor by the Left is to explain life and have a worldview of life after divorcing the notion of God.

Leftism is its own religion and they are their prophets.

The entire endeavor by the Left is to explain life and have a worldview of life after divorcing the notion of God.

Leftism is its own religion and they are their prophets.
If they would accept the possibility of God and that there are both evolutionary events and that we are of the Fold of Adam, we could have a rational conversation with them. But, they are such ideologs that we can't even do that.

If they would accept the possibility of God and that there are both evolutionary events and that we are of the Fold of Adam, we could have a rational conversation with them. But, they are such ideologs that we can't even do that.
The Left cannot stand the notion of God being taken seriously, much like they cannot stand a political adversary being taken seriously like Trump or RFK.

They are power hungry infantile, self-righteous, narcissistic ass holes that will shove their religion down your throat, and if that does not work, they will shove it down the throat of your child.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Greg

What is Pinker saying here that is new?

I rest my case about the potential of rational conversations. Yes. If there were humanoids before Adam and Eve, they would not be related to us for we are of the fold of Adam and Eve.
Proce don't seem to know what Science is.

If it can't be tested it ain't Science.

Greg

Forum List

Back