Stocks tumble again !

Most people have no conception of how much money a 1.5% drop on the exchanges in one day actually represents. With lunatic Muslims murdering their way across the Middle East, our oil supply situation is looking sketchy at best, and with another 88 IQ lunatic running the White House, the rest of the world has absolutely lost faith in America. We can't go on printing Obama greenbacks forever. You have to pay the piper sooner or later.

I don't spend one moment of my income-producing time worrying about "the market." It means nothing to most wage earners.

You would be surprised how many workers and middle class are invested in the market.

You have to be careful with inverse ETFs, zander. In fact, I don't recommend them at all, unless one is trading over the short term.

During the Financial Crisis, many of the leveraged inverse ETFs actually fell even though the markets they were supposed to be tracking also fell, i.e. they went down when the market went down even though they should have gone up. I was tracking the leveraged inverse MSCI Emerging Markets index during the Financial Crisis, and it wound up being down by a quarter even though the index was cut in half.

Read more here.

Warning Leveraged and Inverse ETFs Kill Portfolios

I agree with yon "leveraged ETF's". But I've had excellent results with DOG (a short dow etf) PSQ (a short nasdaq eft) and RWN (short russell 2000 eft) They track their indexes very closely and are not leveraged. Yesterday the Dow was down 1.4% the DOG was up 1.4% :thup:

Most people have no conception of how much money a 1.5% drop on the exchanges in one day actually represents. With lunatic Muslims murdering their way across the Middle East, our oil supply situation is looking sketchy at best, and with another 88 IQ lunatic running the White House, the rest of the world has absolutely lost faith in America. We can't go on printing Obama greenbacks forever. You have to pay the piper sooner or later.
Are you willing to do it? Are you willing to "Pay the Piper"? the money has to come from somewhere, no?

At age 39, market dips are actually good for my 401k, allows me to buy shares in the funds at a cheaper cost.

1. Our oil supply hasn't looked this good in 40 years. That's one reason why crude has fallen to $82. We are now producing 3 million more barrels a day than we did a decade ago. The world is awash in oil, thanks in large part to soaring production in the US.

2. The world has definitely not lost faith in America, at least in our economy. That's why the dollar is hitting multi-year highs. Money is pouring into this country because the rest of the world is slowing and we are doing better than most.

You would be surprised how many workers and middle class are invested in the market.

No, I wouldn't be "surprised" at all. It's their investments that the financial firms take during these periodic market declines (selloffs) and subsequent growth (in stock purchased at lowered prices).

At age 39, market dips are actually good for my 401k, allows me to buy shares in the funds at a cheaper cost.
good for the young, I can agree....but crappy for those nearing retirement.

If you started early, and moved your investments towards lower return/lower risk options, it should not be an issue.

I admit I have gotten good advice on my 401k from my grandfather, i.e., start early, high risk until you are 50, always invest enough to get a full company match, and only mess with allocations twice a year.

If you started early, and moved your investments towards lower return/lower risk options, it should not be an issue.

I admit I have gotten good advice on my 401k from my grandfather, i.e., start early, high risk until you are 50, always invest enough to get a full company match, and only mess with allocations twice a year.
I didn't see my first 401k until I was in my early 30's at the company I worked for...we had a guaranteed retirement pension plan before that....I stopped working and retired young...in my early 40's....the stock market has done nothing but hurt me, with the (1988 crash sort of), the 2001 crash, 2008 crash, and somewhat even now....

I didn't see my first 401k until I was in my early 30's at the company I worked for...we had a guaranteed retirement pension plan before that....I stopped working and retired young...in my early 40's....the stock market has done nothing but hurt me, with the (1988 crash sort of), the 2001 crash, 2008 crash, and somewhat even now....

No pension for me, its 401k and what will be left of social security. Was the early retirement total or did you continue working?

No pension for me, its 401k and what will be left of social security. Was the early retirement total or did you continue working?
no, I became a housewife and did not continue working....until about 3 years ago, I opened my own internet business...

The problem with putting your money in "safe" things after 50 is that "safe things" like CD's are paying around 1% and are NOT keeping up with inflation, a loss every year....so those 10 years out from retirement are almost forced to put their money in the stock market...or a portion of it.... it's a REAL juggle and dilemma.

no, I became a housewife and did not continue working....until about 3 years ago, I opened my own internet business...

The problem with putting your money in "safe" things after 50 is that "safe things" like CD's are paying around 1% and are NOT keeping up with inflation, a loss every year....so those 10 years out from retirement are almost forced to put their money in the stock market...or a portion of it.... it's a REAL juggle and dilemma.

There are bond funds that are relatively stable and plug out above 1%, there are also stock funds that are more stable than the high risk ones, i.e. blue chips that pump out sizable dividends.

Those stocks may dip during a correction, but as long as the companies stay healthy, they still pay out.

Just in the last three days I've lost thousands of dollars.
=============
GOLD is the answer in this situation. :up:

Only if you buy it while the stock market is in a sucker rally like the last series of rallies, and buy in Kgs.

I don't know how much this drop should be counted as 'losing', since the dollar is up. I haven't calculated by how much today but that has something to do with it, i.e. it's not a price drop but a dollar value adjustment. The stock market sucks too much money out of the real economy anyway, so I wouldn't care if the money was pulled out of the stock market and put elsewhere, like in real investments.

Last edited:
Some scary moments this morning, dropped over 300 points, has now rebounded some. This pattern better end soon.

Jeeze. Where are all those lefties who were touting how great the stock market was doing because Barry is the Prez????

Forum List

Back