🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Stop Talking About Race?

This sprouts from the liberal orthodoxy that race is a social construct, and that being a social construct it isn't real, and that things that aren't real should be ignored...and if you ignore them, they will go away.

yeah...stop making race an issue and adhere to principle. If race weren't the issue for the teaper types, they would actually agree with the protesters.

There are people that say the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about race. I have always wondered what made people think this would stop racism. Can anyone explain the theory behind this approach?
Virtually no one says that.
Instead they say that you need to stop making things about race, like programs that just serve a specific race or help specific races) and you will make large strides in ending racism. Keep making things about race (which is racist) and you might actually make headway.

There are people that say the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about race. I have always wondered what made people think this would stop racism. Can anyone explain the theory behind this approach?
Instead they say that you need to stop making things about race, like programs that just serve a specific race or help specific races) and you will make large strides in ending racism. Keep making things about race (which is racist) and you might actually make headway.
Youre misinformed. Plenty of people say it. You not knowing that means little to me.

Youre misinformed. Plenty of people say it. You not knowing that means little to me.
And one of the avowed racists on this board complaining that people want to address racism really does not mean squat to me. Just correcting your misinterpretation. I really did not expect a racist to actually accept it though.

And one of the avowed racists on this board complaining that people want to address racism really does not mean squat to me. Just correcting your misinterpretation. I really did not expect a racist to actually accept it though.
When did asking a question become complaining? I see you cant contribute to adult conversations. Feel free to ignore the thread.

Quite a few here jumped on Morgan Freemans bandwagon when he made that
that very statement. Remember?

FLASHBACK Morgan Freeman on Ending Racism Stop Talking About It CNS News
I remember that. I wondered what made him think that people would just up and stop calling each other Black or white.when this nation was built on the notion of racism.

I remember that. I wondered what made him think that people would just up and stop calling each other Black or white.when this nation was built on the notion of racism.

Personally, I dont think that he really feels that way deep down. He is almost 80 years old and has lived in an era where there was blatant discrimination, so I am certain that privately, he has some memories that are unpleasant.

For him to believe that seems unlikely, then again, I have known and still know quite a few elderly black people in his age range that I have spoken to who feel "safer" if they take what they feel is a more publically non confrontational approach on the subject of race because they still recall when speaking out could be dangerous, and they are reluctant to believe that those days are actually over.

If you read his biography, his success as an actor came late in life, and he has come a long way since he played in "Driving Miss Daisy", and "Stand by Me".

Because he has enjoyed some crossover success, it is possible that he takes that position publicly in order to gain favor with the non black fan base that he has acquired. and being publicly "race neutral" makes his personna less threatening and in his mind he is playing it safe.

JMO.

A lot of white conservatives think that since a black man is president, racism must be over. Also, if they don't experience it personally on a daily basis, it must not be happening.

Racism is just a synonym for stupidity.

Personally, I dont think that he really feels that way deep down. He is almost 80 years old and has lived in an era where there was blatant discrimination, so I am certain that privately, he has some memories that are unpleasant.

For him to believe that seems unlikely, then again, I have known and still know quite a few elderly black people in his age range that I have spoken to who feel "safer" if they take what they feel is a more publically non confrontational approach on the subject of race because they still recall when speaking out could be dangerous, and they are reluctant to believe that those days are actually over.

If you read his biography, his success as an actor came late in life, and he has come a long way since he played in "Driving Miss Daisy", and "Stand by Me".

Because he has enjoyed some crossover success, it is possible that he takes that position publicly in order to gain favor with the non black fan base that he has acquired. and being publicly "race neutral" makes his personna less threatening and in his mind he is playing it safe.

JMO.
Never thought about that. It actually makes a lot of sense. He is a sensational actor so that point of view may all be a front. I believe he had a lot to do with prepping America with the idea of a Black president. I'm sure the effect of those roles were not lost on him. There is an undercurrent of strong Black pride I see in him.

The problem IMO is not talking about Race. The problem starts with each individual and how he or she sees himself. If each of us sees our color as the most important defining characteristic we have, then we are going to look at everything that happens to us or to others through that colored lens and that invariably leads to bias and often incorrect conclusions. For instance, if I coach a Mexican kid in baseball and bench him because he isn't conducting himself the way he should on the field, that doesn't make me a Racist. But his Dad might think so. (Can you guess that really happened?) If we instead look at Race as part of who we are, then talking about race is not divisive and angry and can even be a positive thing.

The problem IMO is not talking about Race. The problem starts with each individual and how he or she sees himself. If each of us sees our color as the most important defining characteristic we have, then we are going to look at everything that happens to us or to others through that colored lens and that invariably leads to bias and often incorrect conclusions. For instance, if I coach a Mexican kid in baseball and bench him because he isn't conducting himself the way he should on the field, that doesn't make me a Racist. But his Dad might think so. (Can you guess that really happened?) If we instead look at Race as part of who we are, then talking about race is not divisive and angry and can even be a positive thing.
I disagree. I see myself as Black first and foremost. I am a Black man and very much in tune with that and appreciate my luck. Things happen all the time that may not go my way and I dont chalk it up to racism. Also I think your example is terrible. Sports parents of any color will find any and every excuse as to why you are benching their angel except the reason you told them like they arent as good or their attitude sucks. Race is just another excuse even though you may have a starter of the same race. Sports parents are can be very unreasonable. I had a Black parent tell me I was not playing her daughter because she was too dark.

I agree that the baseball example was poor because it pulls in other factors besides race. So I don't see talking about race as a bad thing, but on the surface of it, that sounds like a boring conversation. "So I see your Black and I'm White how do you feel about that?" I've just heard that phrase "We need to have a conversation about race" so many times and it just sounds lame to me. What do you think that really means? What am I missing?

I agree that the baseball example was poor because it pulls in other factors besides race. So I don't see talking about race as a bad thing, but on the surface of it, that sounds like a boring conversation. "So I see your Black and I'm White how do you feel about that?" I've just heard that phrase "We need to have a conversation about race" so many times and it just sounds lame to me. What do you think that really means? What am I missing?
IMO "We need to have a conversation about race" means different things to different people. Personally I would never say anything like that to anyone. When a white person says that to me my BS meter goes off because I know more than likely they want to vent about AA. When I hear Black people say it to whites I notice its about all the ills Black people deal with living in our racist society. The best conversations I have had about race were spontaneous and developed naturally. The best one I had was with a white guy in the military that was upset I had slept with this white girl he was drooling over. He felt the races should stay separate and not mix. Turned out his aunt had been with a Black guy that beat her and her kids all the time. However, I notice that white males tend to hold back in person. White females are way more understanding of the Black vs white issue from my experience as they feel they share some of the same experiences being held back by white male chauvinism. .

Certain black folk tend to lose their cotton pickin' minds when they reach a ....certain status, you know what I mean?

Forum List

Back