Strong jobs report brings a new problem: labor scarcity

This country is basically in the era of you have a college degree or you will be relegated to making poverty wages of up to 25 dollars per hour. Manufacturing jobs that pay more than this are never coming back. Although less and less married couples having kids will help things big time.

Joseph Brusuelas, the chief economist at RSM US LLP, points to a concern that hasn't gotten much airing recently: are there enough people to fill the open positions in the workforce? Here's what he says in a post-report client note:

"With little to no slack left in the economy, the major challenge for both policymakers and firm managers is where will businesses find the workers to meet growing demand in a new economy increasingly organized around science, mathematics and technology in a tightening labor market.

U.S. Adds 200,000 Jobs; Wage Growth Best Since Recession

The Democrats seem to believe the way to fill these jobs in science, mathematics and technology is to bring in more undocumented farm workers and laborers. Why can't the Republicans see the wisdom in this?

And the Repubs seem to believe that the way to fill theses jobs in science, math and technology is to cut funding for those programs and to generally bash education as a bastion only for the liberal elites.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Forestry, mining and drilling are the jobs this country needs, because of the jobs they bring along with them.
Welding, mechanics, engineering, manufacturing, construction etc... the list goes on and on and on ~ and they are all ultra high paying jobs.

The only jobs that have a high paying potential are degreed/certified/licensed jobs, the rest are unskilled.
Lol
All right, you stupid ass motherfucker you’re saying that engineering, mining, forestry, welding, carpentry... etc are unskilled.
Why don’t you take your Elite-ism and shove it up your fucking ass you fucking snowflake...

If they aren't degreed/certified/licensed jobs, yes.

The reality is a good prouctive worker knows how to stick it to an employer by walkin out without notice for a better offer. A good worker owes zero loyalty or respect for their employer..it's about taking care id onesself...not the company.

A fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage should help correct that problem.
Scientists, engineers and mathematicians already earn more than $15 per hour, but such a minimum wage will persuade businesses to automate the jobs for low paid workers, creating demand for such equipment, and creating more demand for workers with backgrounds in science, math and technology.
so what; the hard core left insists we get rid of low wage jobs that don't clear social services costs; approximately, fourteen dollars an hour, anyway.
Slightly off topic, but that leaves the question, what do we do about people who lack the native capacity to be trained for higher skilled jobs as the low skilled jobs disappear?
Only the right wing claims that. Unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed could let potential Labor find something they enjoy doing.
Unemployment compensation is temporary, so what do the people who are not trainable for higher skilled jobs do when lower skilled jobs disappear and unemployment compensation runs out? It's not a political question.
Lousy public policy. Unemployment compensation should only end when Capitalism's natural rate of unemployment ends.

The reality is a good prouctive worker knows how to stick it to an employer by walkin out without notice for a better offer. A good worker owes zero loyalty or respect for their employer..it's about taking care id onesself...not the company.

Anybody that walks off a job without notice was never a good worker in the first place. Not only that, but not too smart either.

You can get away with that crap with an economy like we have now, but it won't always be that way. When times are hard and jobs are harder to find, a bad reference (which you will always get for walking off of a job) is enough for you to lose many opportunities.

It may make you feel better, but you're only cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Joseph Brusuelas, the chief economist at RSM US LLP, points to a concern that hasn't gotten much airing recently: are there enough people to fill the open positions in the workforce? Here's what he says in a post-report client note:

"With little to no slack left in the economy, the major challenge for both policymakers and firm managers is where will businesses find the workers to meet growing demand in a new economy increasingly organized around science, mathematics and technology in a tightening labor market.

The Democrats seem to believe the way to fill these jobs in science, mathematics and technology is to bring in more undocumented farm workers and laborers. Why can't the Republicans see the wisdom in this?
It will be interesting. The labor market is not much different now from Obama's last two years, and that's not to say Obama or Trump have that much effect. The predictions seem to be that having more jobs than applicants will raise wages. But if you have that plus the tax cut, you have stimulus and at the same time the Fed is trying to reduce stimulus by winding down QE.

Productivity has not increased in more recent years, and that was what fueled the 90s. More recently there were predictions that we just didn't need as many workers, but soc sec and medicare require workers.
The solution for SS and Medicare is to continue to raise the retirement age for full benefits. After all, when SS was first enacted, it was expected workers would not live too long after retirement.

Yeah it's a great solution when everybody has a desk job. But people in physical labor barley make it to retirement now.

Do you want to see a 68 year old man climbing a ladder two stories high carrying roof shingles on his shoulder? Do you want to see a 70 year old bricklayers laborer carrying clamps of bricks or 8" block to the job site in 95 degree weather? Do you want to see 67 year old road construction people carrying planks and heavy equipment on beams of a new bridge?

Hell, I'll even use my own trade. Do you want your minivan in front of my tractor-trailer when I weigh 75,000 lbs and we suddenly come to a stop in a rain storm???

There will always be jobs that we can't extend retirement age to. I have two cousins, both who've worked their own remodeling company. After several surgeries each, both are praying they can make it to 65 years old to retire.

Scientists, engineers and mathematicians already earn more than $15 per hour, but such a minimum wage will persuade businesses to automate the jobs for low paid workers, creating demand for such equipment, and creating more demand for workers with backgrounds in science, math and technology.
so what; the hard core left insists we get rid of low wage jobs that don't clear social services costs; approximately, fourteen dollars an hour, anyway.
Slightly off topic, but that leaves the question, what do we do about people who lack the native capacity to be trained for higher skilled jobs as the low skilled jobs disappear?
Will store clerks and custodian jobs be automated? That's not meant sarcastically. I agree with your post, and don't really have an answer. Eighteen wheeler driver jobs will disappear in the next ten years or so. That's about the last of the good paying jobs that don't require college or tech training.

Never happen. Right now they are experimenting with manless tractor-trailers and it has more problems than it's worth.

First of all they will never be manless. You will always need n operator in the truck to take over when the computer F's up. Secondly the experimental vehicles produced today cost so much it's not feasible. Third is they can only go in a straight line like a highway. You will never see city tractor-trailers in your lifetime.

Next is insurance costs. Who is going to cover a computer driven semi? Many times we need to switch trailers, but the trailers on manless vehicles are so expensive because of all the sensors needed. You can't just drop one and pick up another unless it too is an expensive sensor modified trailer.

Uber has been experimenting with driverless cars for their service, and they've just about given up on them. The vehicle frequently trips into default mode and a human driver needs to take over.

Before you see any manless semi's on the road, we would first have to perfect the passenger car and give that about ten years or so. I think a driverless car would be great, especially for people that like to go out and drink. It may save a lot of lives.

And the Repubs seem to believe that the way to fill theses jobs in science, math and technology is to cut funding for those programs and to generally bash education as a bastion only for the liberal elites.

Forestry, mining and drilling are the jobs this country needs, because of the jobs they bring along with them.
Welding, mechanics, engineering, manufacturing, construction etc... the list goes on and on and on ~ and they are all ultra high paying jobs.

The problem today is that few will invest the time or money in education to learn a job that still requires physical labor. After all, if you are going to go into debt, stay home so you can attend school, the last thing you want is a job that involves manual labor.

They do? What cuts are you talking about?

You don't need more unskilled workers. You could help Americans fill those roles. There is a push from Jared and Ivanka to assist those who are leaving prison to get their second chance, in the form of training or work prospects. Why not have businesses given an incentive to hire a guy who might not have been perfect but who could be a great worker? Instead of screwing them so they can never work again and just go in and out of prison, costing the economy trillions.

We tried that here in our state. A company we make deliveries and pickups from got involved with a state program that paid them to hire convicted felons.

They made out with state money and paying lower wages to those workers. However after they got involved with the program, they experienced physical fights between the workers. So they hired private security. Then the security company pulled their guard because he too was hurt trying to break up a fight. The security company refused to service the business unless they were allowed to bring in a team of guards. At that point, it cost the employer too much money and they opted out of the program.

As a landlord, I had that same compassion of giving people a chance, so I rented to convicted felons. One was a former drug addict. He did electrical work and said he was going to rewire the house. He pulled all the wiring out, and left it that way. I had to kick him out for not paying rent. Same happened when I rented to a former drug addict who was a remodeler. I gave him permission to rip down a wall to make a much larger bathroom. He ripped down the wall and plumbing, then went back on drugs and left it that way until I kicked him out. The last felon I rented to, the house mysteriously started on fire in the basement. He too was a known user, but didn't work so probably owed a lot of money to lowlifes. That was a $80,000 fire renovation and my insurance canceled my policies on all my rental properties. I couldn't get insurance for 3 years.

Today, my rental applications include a question of criminal history. In bold writing, I put down I do not rent to convicted felons. Can you blame me?

You don't need more unskilled workers. You could help Americans fill those roles. There is a push from Jared and Ivanka to assist those who are leaving prison to get their second chance, in the form of training or work prospects. Why not have businesses given an incentive to hire a guy who might not have been perfect but who could be a great worker? Instead of screwing them so they can never work again and just go in and out of prison, costing the economy trillions.

Good point but:
1. If we do not have enough unskilled workers who will do the low paying jobs?
2. It’s not that easy to hire ex-con. The percentage of rehabilitated prisoners even if they became an instructor, role model or something else is extremely very low.
I did have 2 ex-con employees years ago. Only reason I hired them is just a favor to my part time (LEO )security guards. He guaranteed me they’ve been a role model and totally rehabilitated after they serve their punishment of 12 years. They are both criminals.

First month these 2 caught smoking MJ in the warehouse, one of them played with the forklift and crashed to a wall, fist fight with his boss because they don’t want to be boss around. It’s very hard to work with the others. They only lasted total of 20 working days.

3. That also depends what crime they served. Like tax evasion, fraud, child support....... most likely they learned their lesson.

We tried that here in our state. A company we make deliveries and pickups from got involved with a state program that paid them to hire convicted felons.

They made out with state money and paying lower wages to those workers. However after they got involved with the program, they experienced physical fights between the workers. So they hired private security. Then the security company pulled their guard because he too was hurt trying to break up a fight. The security company refused to service the business unless they were allowed to bring in a team of guards. At that point, it cost the employer too much money and they opted out of the program.

As a landlord, I had that same compassion of giving people a chance, so I rented to convicted felons. One was a former drug addict. He did electrical work and said he was going to rewire the house. He pulled all the wiring out, and left it that way. I had to kick him out for not paying rent. Same happened when I rented to a former drug addict who was a remodeler. I gave him permission to rip down a wall to make a much larger bathroom. He ripped down the wall and plumbing, then went back on drugs and left it that way until I kicked him out. The last felon I rented to, the house mysteriously started on fire in the basement. He too was a known user, but didn't work so probably owed a lot of money to lowlifes. That was a $80,000 fire renovation and my insurance canceled my policies on all my rental properties. I couldn't get insurance for 3 years.

Today, my rental applications include a question of criminal history. In bold writing, I put down I do not rent to convicted felons. Can you blame me?

No I do not blame you.

I heard some few good stories but there far more bad stories about hiring ex con. It’s just too risky.

Right now with the booming economy we have shortages of workers all over like those jobs you mentioned.

Good point my friend but...... millennials are busy playing video games. If you visit vocational class like those jobs you mentioned most of the students are minorities like Asians & Hispanics. There are some white and blacks. The big difference I saw was the nursing school majority of the students are Asians and whites followed by mix races. The same in the engineering.

Unemployment is very low. We need both more of skilled and unskilled workers...... Now what do we do folks?

Right now with the booming economy we have shortages of workers all over like those jobs you mentioned.

Good point my friend but...... millennials are busy playing video games. If you visit vocational class like those jobs you mentioned most of the students are minorities like Asians & Hispanics. There are some white and blacks. The big difference I saw was the nursing school majority of the students are Asians and whites followed by mix races. The same in the engineering.

Unemployment is very low. We need both more of skilled and unskilled workers...... Now what do we do folks?
Drill baby drill

Drill baby drill

That doesn’t help. We need drillers.

Will store clerks and custodian jobs be automated? That's not meant sarcastically. I agree with your post, and don't really have an answer. Eighteen wheeler driver jobs will disappear in the next ten years or so. That's about the last of the good paying jobs that don't require college or tech training.

Never happen. Right now they are experimenting with manless tractor-trailers and it has more problems than it's worth.

First of all they will never be manless. You will always need n operator in the truck to take over when the computer F's up. Secondly the experimental vehicles produced today cost so much it's not feasible. Third is they can only go in a straight line like a highway. You will never see city tractor-trailers in your lifetime.

Next is insurance costs. Who is going to cover a computer driven semi? Many times we need to switch trailers, but the trailers on manless vehicles are so expensive because of all the sensors needed. You can't just drop one and pick up another unless it too is an expensive sensor modified trailer.

Uber has been experimenting with driverless cars for their service, and they've just about given up on them. The vehicle frequently trips into default mode and a human driver needs to take over.

Before you see any manless semi's on the road, we would first have to perfect the passenger car and give that about ten years or so. I think a driverless car would be great, especially for people that like to go out and drink. It may save a lot of lives.

30 years ago they predicted robots and automation would take over and its complete bullshit. The main reason companies use robotics was to get rid of the backbreaking repetitive work no human wants to do.

I talked to a insurance agent with nationwide and he said unless there is a human driver behind the wheel you can forget any kind of insurance, and that state by state regulations would vary on driverless cars. Sounds like a bust to me

30 years ago they predicted robots and automation would take over and its complete bullshit. The main reason companies use robotics was to get rid of the backbreaking repetitive work no human wants to do.

I talked to a insurance agent with nationwide and he said unless there is a human driver behind the wheel you can forget any kind of insurance, and that state by state regulations would vary on driverless cars. Sounds like a bust to me

Without a doubt. It's hard finding insurance companies now that will cover trucks yet alone a manless truck. A manless truck cannot drop a trailer or pick one up. A manless truck cannot back into a dock. A manless truck can never maneuver through streets not designed for trucks which happens all the time in local deliveries.

More than that it takes constant monitoring of your surroundings. If I'm in the right lane and spot a slow moving truck about a half mile or more ahead of me, I have to start trying to get out of the lane because few will give you a break just by turning on your turn signal. What does a manless truck do when there is an accident and the police are trying to guide you off the road onto the shoulder to get around a wreck? Weigh stations have Department of Transportation police that pull you to the back of the scales for a spot inspection. How will they tell a manless truck to do that or follow instructions of what the officer wants you to do during his test?

There are just too many situations where a manless truck is impossible. For instance if I hear loud hissing from somewhere, I know I have a major air leak and need to get off the road ASAP. I can't wait until my air gauges tell me I'm quickly losing air because it happens too fast. Normally our air pressure is around 120 psi. At 50 psi, the truck just stops right in it's tracks.

There are just too many things a manless truck can never do in our lifetime. And if I'm on the highway in my car, the last thing I want is one of those things next to me or behind me.

Forum List

Back