🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Student Arrested After Wearing Gorilla Mask, Carrying Bananas at Black Lives Matter Protest

Looks like racism is in the air...

Student Arrested After Wearing Gorilla Mask, Carrying Bananas at Black Lives Matter Protest

Do you agree or disagree with his arrest?

Hey, this is a nation where speech must be approved of by the GLORIOUS peoples democratic party. You can't just say anything you like, we have LAWS against speech that the party dislikes.

Express ideas the party dislikes, go to jail.
He wasn't arrested for speaking, he was arrested for provoking.

so blm should all be arrested, right?

More than likely, the charge was simply a ruse so that the police could remove the guy and act like they were doing something. The charge will most likely be dropped. That being said, universities don't play by the same rules. The kid will most likely be expelled.
You're right about the university being able to expel that student for provocative conduct. But the police are not empowered to forcibly remove or restrain someone who has not violated any specific laws. Even if the charge is dropped a false arrest lawsuit can be filed.
And the false arrest lawsuit would most likely go nowhere.

I'm not a minority nor do I riot or loot. I agree that those actions should be prosecuted, but I am highly offended by someone intentionally try to inflame people in the manner this guy did it, and I would not have shed a tear if he had gotten his assed kicked. It's better he was arrested, and he deserved to be arrested.
You may rest assured there are individuals who would like to kick your ass for what you just said.

How do you feel about that?

Fine, I don't know why you're butt hurt over it however.

So I could follow your daughter around all day at the mall and make lewd suggestive comments, tell her I'll be waiting for her when she leaves so we can do it, and you will just turn the other cheek? That's messed up!
There is a difference between free expression and verbal harassment.

And you think what this guy did was simple free expression........wow. And I call myself a moron...

Hey, this is a nation where speech must be approved of by the GLORIOUS peoples democratic party. You can't just say anything you like, we have LAWS against speech that the party dislikes.

Express ideas the party dislikes, go to jail.
Surprised he didn't get his ass kicked. Guess not ALL BLM protesters are violent, huh?
They wanted the bananas.
I woulda smacked him. He's one lucky racist.

So we're allowed to smack people we don't agree with now? How Fascist of you
We've always been allowed to smack people who personally insult us. Maybe we get in trouble, but it's worth it.

Surprised he didn't get his ass kicked. Guess not ALL BLM protesters are violent, huh?
They wanted the bananas.

We've always been allowed to smack people who personally insult us. Maybe we get in trouble, but it's worth it.
That statement says a lot about you. An insult = assault???

They wanted the bananas.

Well if you get in trouble for it then it's obviously not supposed to be allowed

I'm wondering if this idiot would have done the same brain dead move, if he lived in Syria and would have put on a pig suit,carrying an apple in it's mouth and then marched into an ISIS camp. :)
Stupid!

This isn't Syria.

We used to have freedom of speech in this nation. I realize that is a thing of the past. but we are fools for allowing liberty to perish.
That young man was calling black folk gorillas, jungle bunnies, monkeys, with his actions. That is not free speech. That is punchable.

so blm should all be arrested, right?
In a just country, where everybody has the same rights AND RESPONSIBILITIES, yes. But Black's are treated as America's angry children. They are given much more leeway. Problem is that only encourages their bad behaviour.

They wanted the bananas.

Sure. Good smack in the face, put that banana where it will do some good.... You can't possibly call that a defensible right? It's on the same level as walking into a bar on a Saturday night and calling a woman a slut. You're gonna get what you get.

They wanted the bananas.

Sure. Good smack in the face, put that banana where it will do some good.... You can't possibly call that a defensible right? It's on the same level as walking into a bar on a Saturday night and calling a woman a slut. You're gonna get what you get.
"Sticks and stones..." Move on old lady.

No way would any prosecution stick. The police 'arrested' him to get him out of there before shit hit fan.
Oh, if only I were the Dean, that young man would be writing a 25 page research paper on systemic racism in America.

Are you suggesting violence is never justified? If I am walking with my teenage daughter and she is verbally harassed and intimidated, I am not sitting on my hands.

This kid is a punk. He deserved to be called a punk, and any other name someone can think of. But initiating violence in response to words is never acceptable.

So I could follow your daughter around all day at the mall and make lewd suggestive comments, tell her I'll be waiting for her when she leaves so we can do it, and you will just turn the other cheek? That's messed up!
How about calling the police.

Ok, what if we are in a park with no cell service? There is no words that anybo
I think he has a first amendment right to act like a racist ass

Police should have just pulled his mask off so everyone could see

I briefly felt the same way, but when you act to intentionally inflame others then adults need to step in.
Rioting, looting and burning businesses inflame me. And, probably you would disagree, but I believe those actions are intentional. For goodness sakes, the guy had a mask on and was giving people bananas.

So when rioting, vandalism and looting take place, why don't they cart those people away? And they took the Masked Man away. Go figure.

I'm not a minority nor do I riot or loot. I agree that those actions should be prosecuted, but I am highly offended by someone intentionally try to inflame people in the manner this guy did it, and I would not have shed a tear if he had gotten his assed kicked. It's better he was arrested, and he deserved to be arrested.
So, what was the crime again?

here ya go-

Looks like racism is in the air...

Do you agree or disagree with his arrest?

I hate what he did and people who mock in that cruel sort of way, though he probably should not have been charged with anything because then you would have to do the same to others expressing themselves. People
have been allowed to burn flags, our shout things over bull horns that could also be interpreted as provoking, but
they are allowed to do that as freedom of speech.

On the other hand though, because this guy was handing out bananas it becomes personally insulting and i think this almost approaches what is considered "fighting words", if his actions are to be considered free speech. In that case someone would have been justified to punch the guy in response.

Also, i think the officers were probably correct in taking him in to prevent things from escalating, for his own protection and protection of others. That's sort of a judgement call I think the officers on the site should be allowed to take. As far as the prosecution part though, I don't think so. It's very ugly speech, but is still considered free speech in order to allow others to express as well.
More than likely, the charge was simply a ruse so that the police could remove the guy and act like they were doing something. The charge will most likely be dropped. That being said, universities don't play by the same rules. The kid will most likely be expelled.
He shouldn't be expelled. 20 hrs a week community service in an inner city YMCA after school program. For an entire semester. If that doesn't open his eyes, at least they tried.

Forum List

Back