Studies confirm: Trump voters were motivated by racial prejudice — not ‘economic anxiety’

What a load of crap.

The Dems are getting desperater and desperater.

That's not even a word. Not that I expect a Trump supporter to be able to string a coherent sentence together.

What you're trying to say is "more desperate".

That's racist. Like everyone else but MORE SO of course, they've been hurt by GOP pander to the rich for 35 years. Opportunities have been slashed to cut taxes on the rich, dupe.

At the heart of the debate over "the 47 percent" is an awful abuse of tax data.

This entire conversation is the result of a (largely successful) effort to redefine the debate over taxes from "how much in taxes do you pay" to "how much in federal income taxes do you pay?" This is good framing if you want to cut taxes on the rich. It's bad framing if you want to have even a basic understanding of who pays how much in taxes.

There's a reason some would prefer that more limited conversation. For most Americans, payroll and state and local taxes make up the majority of their tax bill. The federal income tax, by contrast, is our most progressive tax -- it's the tax we've designed to place the heaviest burden on the rich while bypassing the poor. And we've done that, again, because the working class is already paying a fairly high tax bill through payroll and state and local taxes.

But most people don't know very much about the tax code. And the federal income tax is still our most famous tax. So when they hear that half of Americans aren't paying federal income taxes, they're outraged -- even if they're among the folks who have a net negative tax burden! After all, they know they're paying taxes, and there's no reason for normal human beings to assume that the taxes getting taken out of their paycheck every week and some of the taxes they pay at the end of the year aren't classified as "federal income taxes."

Confining the discussion to the federal income tax plays another role, too: It makes the tax code look much more progressive than it actually is.

Take someone who makes $4 million dollars a year and someone who makes $40,000 a year. The person making $4 million dollars, assuming he's not doing some Romney-esque planning, is paying a 35 percent tax on most of that money. The person making $40,000 is probably paying no income tax at all. So that makes the system look really unfair to the rich guy.

That's the basic analysis of the 47 percent line. And it's a basic analysis that serves a purpose: It makes further tax cuts for the rich sound more reasonable.

But what if we did the same thing for the payroll tax? Remember, the payroll tax only applies to first $110,100 or so, our rich friends is only paying payroll taxes on 2.7 percent of his income. The guy making $40,000? He's paying payroll taxes on every dollar of his income. Now who's not getting a fair shake?

Which is why, if you want to understand who's paying what in taxes, you don't want to just look at federal income taxes, or federal payroll taxes, or state sales taxes -- you want to look at total taxes. And, luckily, the tax analysis group Citizens for Tax Justice keeps those numbers. So here is total taxes -- which includes corporate taxes, income taxes, payroll taxes, state sales taxes, and more -- paid by different income groups and broken into federal and state and local burdens:

state-local-federal-taxes-income.jpg

As you can see, the poorer you are, the more state and local taxes bite into your income. As you get richer, those taxes recede, and you're mainly getting hit be federal taxes. So that's another lesson: When you omit state and local taxes from your analysis, you're omitting the taxes that hit lower-income taxpayers hardest.

But here is really the only tax graph you need: It's total tax burden by income group. And as you'll see, every income group is paying something, and the rich aren't paying much more, as a percentage of their incomes, then the middle class.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUkrre-pLTAhWs5oMKHfUgBhgQFgg6MAc&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/09/19/heres-why-the-47-percent-argument-is-an-abuse-of-tax-data/&usg=AFQjCNE_8LZl_VB-o4FAbNsJrxLxLCPy8g

No, it's not racist....but it is stereotyping to make a point. Specific groups handle their problems differently. There are plenty of poor of all races, as well as middle class and even upper middle class. The numbers do get squeezed the farther up the financial ladder but I'm pretty sure there are a few minorities in the top as well.

What opportunities do whites have that other races do not? There is a whole bunch of high school graduates coming up in the next few months. Do not the Black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian, even Muslim and white kids as well have the exact same opportunity to get a job, or go on to college if they choose? Can you honestly tell me that one group over another can't do those things.....just because of their Heritage??? No, it has more to do with lack of motivation than anyone slamming the door in their face because of ethnicity
No, it has to do with mainly GOP racism and discrimination against blacks especially and the nonrich in general, especially the last 35 years. Pander to the rich policy (more expensive public university, cuts in training programs, more expensive college loans, less investment in infrastructure, fewer incentives for manufacturing to stay here, etc etc- all to save the now bloated rich - the especially greedy idiot ones now run the GOP and brainwash the dupes like you...Poor America. see sig.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:

Yet all those you've just listed aren't targeting the blacks....those things effect EVERYONE.....dipstick
Like I said, they hurt the nonrich in general and the blacks especially, hater dupe. Great job. Now, which races are least motivated?

Don't be calling me the hater. You know nothing about me. I see that all people in this country are subject to the same conditions, for better or worse. Everyone does have the same opportunity to better themselves, everyone does have to pay taxes, and everyone is subject to the same laws.

You on the other hand keep trying to say only Blacks have it so bad because of some political party has it out for them. Guess what? The rich have always downtrodden the non-rich.....since the beginning of time...long before political parties were established, long before this country was even discovered. Is it fair??? no....Is it race specific? no.....can anyone do anything about it??? no. That is the way and always has been and always will be. The rich get richer and the poor get the shaft. All races are sucked into that vacuum. You keep trying to separate everyone into a neat little pile based on whatever ideology.

worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility,

more expensive public university, cuts in training programs, more expensive college loans, less investment in infrastructure, fewer incentives for manufacturing to stay here, etc etc

All these things are issues EVERYONE faces. Not just blacks. I don't know about the homeless numbers, but the panhandlers I see everyday are 98% white. About the only thing are the numbers for prison. Yes there are more Blacks behind bars. You should maybe ask WHY. Is it just because they're black? NO. It's because they've committed some crime.
Those things are that way because of the pander to the rich GOP, and worst of all for blacks because they're discriminated against the most. Don't call me a dipstick- a personal, not political insult- and I won't call you a hater. But I will call you a dupe because it's political and true of most GOPers, the good ones.
17760855_10158191135325538_296540094255582932_o.jpg

It became conventional wisdom during the presidential campaign that Donald Trump supporters were motivated by bigotry, until the Republican candidate won and it became politically incorrect for Democrats to say that.

But the problem with that forgiving logic is, it’s just not really true, reported The Intercept.

“Whether it’s good politics to say so or not, the evidence from the 2016 election is very clear that attitudes about blacks, immigrants, and Muslims were a key component of Trump’s appeal,” Philip Klinkner, a political scientist at Hamilton College, told the website.

An entire genre of newspaper reports has profiled Trump supporters who regret their votes, now that programs they use are on the chopping block, or still back the president — but a common theme is their disdain for “illegal” immigrants and changing U.S. demographics.

What was stunning to me was this bigotry toward Hispanics in this country. I live in a heavily populated Hispanic state (Colorado) and have-lived here all my life, and am used to hearing Spanish everywhere I go, many of us are bi-lengual because of this diversity, and we all get along just fine. My nefew married an hispanic woman. Their family ties are as strong as ours if not stronger--and we don't notice the difference between white and brown in this state. We're not segregated by any means, nor do we want to be.

I could not believe the hate and angry coming out of these Trump rallies across this country. Mexico used to own the entire southwest of this country before the white man ever showed up.

This candidate was campaigning on WALL building, threatening Mexico, threatening Mexicans who have lived in this country for decades, and I found that disgusting. I found Trump supporters to be disgusting. What I thought no longer existed in this country, bigotry, came out from under their rocks and showed up for Donald Trump.

Even people I thought were not racists, actually were. They were just very good at hiding it well, until Trump showed up.

sw0302cd_590_356.jpg

Last edited:
That's racist. Like everyone else but MORE SO of course, they've been hurt by GOP pander to the rich for 35 years. Opportunities have been slashed to cut taxes on the rich, dupe.

This entire conversation is the result of a (largely successful) effort to redefine the debate over taxes from "how much in taxes do you pay" to "how much in federal income taxes do you pay?" This is good framing if you want to cut taxes on the rich. It's bad framing if you want to have even a basic understanding of who pays how much in taxes.

There's a reason some would prefer that more limited conversation. For most Americans, payroll and state and local taxes make up the majority of their tax bill. The federal income tax, by contrast, is our most progressive tax -- it's the tax we've designed to place the heaviest burden on the rich while bypassing the poor. And we've done that, again, because the working class is already paying a fairly high tax bill through payroll and state and local taxes.

But most people don't know very much about the tax code. And the federal income tax is still our most famous tax. So when they hear that half of Americans aren't paying federal income taxes, they're outraged -- even if they're among the folks who have a net negative tax burden! After all, they know they're paying taxes, and there's no reason for normal human beings to assume that the taxes getting taken out of their paycheck every week and some of the taxes they pay at the end of the year aren't classified as "federal income taxes."

Confining the discussion to the federal income tax plays another role, too: It makes the tax code look much more progressive than it actually is.

Take someone who makes $4 million dollars a year and someone who makes $40,000 a year. The person making $4 million dollars, assuming he's not doing some Romney-esque planning, is paying a 35 percent tax on most of that money. The person making $40,000 is probably paying no income tax at all. So that makes the system look really unfair to the rich guy.

That's the basic analysis of the 47 percent line. And it's a basic analysis that serves a purpose: It makes further tax cuts for the rich sound more reasonable.

But what if we did the same thing for the payroll tax? Remember, the payroll tax only applies to first $110,100 or so, our rich friends is only paying payroll taxes on 2.7 percent of his income. The guy making $40,000? He's paying payroll taxes on every dollar of his income. Now who's not getting a fair shake?

Which is why, if you want to understand who's paying what in taxes, you don't want to just look at federal income taxes, or federal payroll taxes, or state sales taxes -- you want to look at total taxes. And, luckily, the tax analysis group Citizens for Tax Justice keeps those numbers. So here is total taxes -- which includes corporate taxes, income taxes, payroll taxes, state sales taxes, and more -- paid by different income groups and broken into federal and state and local burdens:

As you can see, the poorer you are, the more state and local taxes bite into your income. As you get richer, those taxes recede, and you're mainly getting hit be federal taxes. So that's another lesson: When you omit state and local taxes from your analysis, you're omitting the taxes that hit lower-income taxpayers hardest.

But here is really the only tax graph you need: It's total tax burden by income group. And as you'll see, every income group is paying something, and the rich aren't paying much more, as a percentage of their incomes, then the middle class.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUkrre-pLTAhWs5oMKHfUgBhgQFgg6MAc&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/09/19/heres-why-the-47-percent-argument-is-an-abuse-of-tax-data/&usg=AFQjCNE_8LZl_VB-o4FAbNsJrxLxLCPy8g

No, it's not racist....but it is stereotyping to make a point. Specific groups handle their problems differently. There are plenty of poor of all races, as well as middle class and even upper middle class. The numbers do get squeezed the farther up the financial ladder but I'm pretty sure there are a few minorities in the top as well.

What opportunities do whites have that other races do not? There is a whole bunch of high school graduates coming up in the next few months. Do not the Black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian, even Muslim and white kids as well have the exact same opportunity to get a job, or go on to college if they choose? Can you honestly tell me that one group over another can't do those things.....just because of their Heritage??? No, it has more to do with lack of motivation than anyone slamming the door in their face because of ethnicity
No, it has to do with mainly GOP racism and discrimination against blacks especially and the nonrich in general, especially the last 35 years. Pander to the rich policy (more expensive public university, cuts in training programs, more expensive college loans, less investment in infrastructure, fewer incentives for manufacturing to stay here, etc etc- all to save the now bloated rich - the especially greedy idiot ones now run the GOP and brainwash the dupes like you...Poor America. see sig.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:

Yet all those you've just listed aren't targeting the blacks....those things effect EVERYONE.....dipstick
Like I said, they hurt the nonrich in general and the blacks especially, hater dupe. Great job. Now, which races are least motivated?

Don't be calling me the hater. You know nothing about me. I see that all people in this country are subject to the same conditions, for better or worse. Everyone does have the same opportunity to better themselves, everyone does have to pay taxes, and everyone is subject to the same laws.

You on the other hand keep trying to say only Blacks have it so bad because of some political party has it out for them. Guess what? The rich have always downtrodden the non-rich.....since the beginning of time...long before political parties were established, long before this country was even discovered. Is it fair??? no....Is it race specific? no.....can anyone do anything about it??? no. That is the way and always has been and always will be. The rich get richer and the poor get the shaft. All races are sucked into that vacuum. You keep trying to separate everyone into a neat little pile based on whatever ideology.

worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility,

more expensive public university, cuts in training programs, more expensive college loans, less investment in infrastructure, fewer incentives for manufacturing to stay here, etc etc

All these things are issues EVERYONE faces. Not just blacks. I don't know about the homeless numbers, but the panhandlers I see everyday are 98% white. About the only thing are the numbers for prison. Yes there are more Blacks behind bars. You should maybe ask WHY. Is it just because they're black? NO. It's because they've committed some crime.
Probably selling drugs to white suburbanites or ditto black turf wars, because GOP jobs suq and opportunity suqs and discrimination against blacks is rampant and the inner city where they congregate for protection against it is a gd mess. . Great job!

Those things are that way because of the pander to the rich GOP, and worst of all for blacks because they're discriminated against the most. Don't call me a dipstick- a personal, not political insult- and I won't call you a hater. But I will call you a dupe because it's political and true of most GOPers, the good ones.
17760855_10158191135325538_296540094255582932_o.jpg

Probably selling drugs to white suburbanites or ditto black turf wars, because GOP jobs suq and opportunity suqs and discrimination against blacks is rampant and the inner city where they congregate for protection against it is a gd mess. . Great job!

Actually I'm Independent. I vote for who I think is the better candidate, regardless of party affiliation. This time around was NOT Hillary. AND I voted for Obama the first time, ended up voting against his opposition the second time.

You seem to have more of a problem with the rich, but guess what? Democrats are just as rich, they also discriminate, and are also just as responsible (if not more so) for all those cuts to those issues you've mentioned above.

You do know selling drugs to anyone is a crime... right? So is inciting & participating in violence against others is also a crime....right?

You continue to live in your little glass house protected against the real world and make your judgements & theories about it.....and by doing so perpetuate that same discrimination you cry against.

ILLEGALS

Do ya'll see that word there or do your media blinders just blank that shit out for you? Vast majority have no issue with Mexican's so long as they come in through proper channels.

It became conventional wisdom during the presidential campaign that Donald Trump supporters were motivated by bigotry, until the Republican candidate won and it became politically incorrect for Democrats to say that.

But the problem with that forgiving logic is, it’s just not really true, reported The Intercept.

“Whether it’s good politics to say so or not, the evidence from the 2016 election is very clear that attitudes about blacks, immigrants, and Muslims were a key component of Trump’s appeal,” Philip Klinkner, a political scientist at Hamilton College, told the website.

An entire genre of newspaper reports has profiled Trump supporters who regret their votes, now that programs they use are on the chopping block, or still back the president — but a common theme is their disdain for “illegal” immigrants and changing U.S. demographics.

Wow, suddenly a biased professor, looks at some data and concludes that all those out of work Dems in the swing states, many of whom are BLACK, suddenly turned racist, against themselves somehow, and voted against a criminal bitch who's husband destroyed their chosen careers, and then after decades of telling them they would get help, she didn't even bother to stop in those states to beg for their vote....she was so sure that they were cowed that she ignored them.

So, no study, just the opinion of yet another blind progressive asshole. Kind of like you.

We already pay far more than that, dumbass.
Sent from my SM-G935P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

There's no source for your chart, moron. That makes it worthless.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUkrre-pLTAhWs5oMKHfUgBhgQFgg6MAc&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/09/19/heres-why-the-47-percent-argument-is-an-abuse-of-tax-data/&usg=AFQjCNE_8LZl_VB-o4FAbNsJrxLxLCPy8g

But here is really the only tax graph you need: It's total tax burden by income group. And as you'll see, every income group is paying something, and the rich aren't paying much more, as a percentage of their incomes, then the middle class.

"Citizens for Tax Justice" is a hardcore leftwing propaganda organ. Nothing they publish can be believed.
Sure. lol. That's the WAPO and US gov't stats, fake news jockey/dupe.

where does it say "Us government statistics?" And, of course, WAPO is fake news.

We already pay far more than that, dumbass.
Sent from my SM-G935P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

There's no source for your chart, moron. That makes it worthless.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUkrre-pLTAhWs5oMKHfUgBhgQFgg6MAc&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/09/19/heres-why-the-47-percent-argument-is-an-abuse-of-tax-data/&usg=AFQjCNE_8LZl_VB-o4FAbNsJrxLxLCPy8g

But here is really the only tax graph you need: It's total tax burden by income group. And as you'll see, every income group is paying something, and the rich aren't paying much more, as a percentage of their incomes, then the middle class.

"Citizens for Tax Justice" is a hardcore leftwing propaganda organ. Nothing they publish can be believed.
it is more believable than your alleged, right wing think tanks.

Wrong.

I say put up machine guns at the border.

ILLEGALS

Do ya'll see that word there or do your media blinders just blank that shit out for you? Vast majority have no issue with Mexican's so long as they come in through proper channels.
10USC311 is federal law.

The vast majority have no issue with gun lovers as long as they are legal to our own federal laws.

What was stunning to me was this bigotry toward Hispanics in this country. I live in a heavily populated Hispanic state (Colorado) and have-lived here all my life, and am used to hearing Spanish everywhere I go, many of us are bi-lengual because of this diversity, and we all get along just fine. My nefew married an hispanic woman. Their family ties are as strong as ours if not stronger--and we don't notice the difference between white and brown in this state. We're not segregated by any means, nor do we want to be.

I could not believe the hate and angry coming out of these Trump rallies across this country. Mexico used to own the entire southwest of this country before the white man ever showed up.

This candidate was campaigning on WALL building, threatening Mexico, threatening Mexicans who have lived in this country for decades, and I found that disgusting. I found Trump supporters to be disgusting. What I thought no longer existed in this country, bigotry, came out from under their rocks and showed up for Donald Trump.

Even people I thought were not racists, actually were. They were just very good at hiding it well, until Trump showed up.

sw0302cd_590_356.jpg

So you think enforcing our immigration laws is "disgusting?" The only thing illegals are being "threatened" with is enforcing the laws on the books. You have to be a moron or a douche bag to object to that.

sw0302cd_590_356.jpg

So you think enforcing our immigration laws is "disgusting?" The only thing illegals are being "threatened" with is enforcing the laws on the books. You have to be a moron or a douche bag to object to that.
We have one of the largest economies in the entire world; illegal immigration is not the problem. lousy management is the problem.

I say put up machine guns at the border.
an example of right wing fantasy?

Forum List

Back