suddenly i feel very old

My Turkish Kangal does everything he's asked to do and acts civil.

And he could easily chew up every breed mentioned in this thread thus far if met with the unfortunate situation.

It's all in how you train them.

Actually, the dogs already know the way. It's the people who need trained.

The fact that the owner had to ''pull'' the dog off of you in the op means that the owner didnlt have control of the dog fro mthe start. It never should have happened in the first place.

Our GSD is a part of our family. She is pretty large for a female (82 lbs)
Being a GSD owner comes with a price, and you have to be able to afford that price monetarily as well as the patience it takes to train and socialize such an animal when it is a puppy.
She is a magnificent guard dog. When we bought this home in 2019 we was not aware that just over a mile down the road is a shit area with plenty of meth heads etc. They walk up and down the road we live on.
She has made her presence known to these folks many times... everyone near here knows we have a bad ass dog.
Having said that... she is very friendly to accepted people once introduced.

285448293_10220273542684027_6319917169290574228_n.jpg

yesterday i had to go over to the neighbor who has a pack....bull mastiff/great dane crosses and a great dane...the great dane is up for stud ...so i was talking to him about getting the puppy.. when suddenly the dane just began to push me around playing...i could not stop him..the owner was pulling him away but then i realized..i am too damn old to start over with a massive great dane...part of the reason i wanted a pup off this dane was he is a healthy as hell dog...no weight problems...

it is scary watching the bull mastiff mixes fight with each other...they are playing but go up in the air ...
Get a rescue dog....they need the love.

i have 3 dogs...two around 60 lbs and a 19 lb beagle mix....i would say the bull mastiff mixes and the dane all are around 150 lb...i just cant even imagine how physical a pup would be..i dont have the energy to start over with a big dog....even my beloved dobermans are too much now
Had a woman show up to puppy school here with two full grown great danes....father and son. They were horribly neurotic...and was their owner (found out she was a tweaker)...They'd both try to climb in her lap and she would cry over anything. It was a sad thing to see. Our yorkie had them terrorized.

Funny story, we didn't see her or the dogs after a while....found out she'd gone to jail for accepting stolen property....some of Heidy Fleiss' parrots that were stolen from her home. (yes, THAT Heidy Fleiss, she lives out here)
Did you rescue that yorkie?

Was baby sitting in HS as favor for fellow church family. Parents failed to introduce me to the dog.
Aw. You volunteered to help out a fellow church family and became a victim of a 20 pound dog. What an inspiration you are.

Forum List

Back