Suicide Demographics

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Suicide Rates by Age
In 2015, the highest suicide rate (19.6) was among adults between 45 and 64 years of age. The second highest rate (19.4) occurred in those 85 years or older. Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults. In 2015, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 12.5.

Suicide Rates by Race/Ethnicity
In 2015, the highest U.S. suicide rate (15.1) was among Whites and the second highest rate (12.6) was among American Indians and Alaska Natives (Figure 5). Much lower and roughly similar rates were found among Asians and Pacific Islanders (6.4), and Blacks (5.6).

suicide-death-rates.jpg

Suicide Statistics — AFSP

Why are Americans killing themselves?

I get why NA's would have a high rate. It must be depressing as hell to see white people living on your ancestors land they took by lies and force. I also can see why whites have the highest rate.

I get why NA's would have a high rate. It must be depressing as hell to see white people living on your ancestors land they took by lies and force. I also can see why whites have the highest rate.

I thought teenagers would have the highest rate. I was surprised it's 45-64 yr olds, then 85yr olds and up.

I thought teenagers would have the highest rate. I was surprised it's 45-64 yr olds, then 85yr olds and up.
With all the "internet bullying" I am surprised its not higher among teenagers.

We are seeing the first wave of the latest generations where youth has been held up on a higher pedestal than in the past. Now that the "never trust anyone over 30" crowd is reaching retirement, and the Generation X'ers are over 40 some of them simply can't handle aging.

I think we hear more about teen suicide just because it seems more tragic when a person ends their life with so much of remaining.

----------------------------------- yeah , as if internet bullying will make a healthy American kid kill himself . If so its no wonder that they are called snowflakes Ace .

----------------------------------- yeah , as if internet bullying will make a healthy American kid kill himself . If so its no wonder that they are called snowflakes Ace .
I talked to my kids about it just to be safe and they laughed at me. My youngest said if it was that serious then you just get off the computer.

We are seeing the first wave of the latest generations where youth has been held up on a higher pedestal than in the past. Now that the "never trust anyone over 30" crowd is reaching retirement, and the Generation X'ers are over 40 some of them simply can't handle aging.

I think we hear more about teen suicide just because it seems more tragic when a person ends their life with so much of remaining.

The second highest was 85 yr olds and older, so what about them? There were more *% yr old and up than teenagers committing suicide.

I was surprised too.

My newest favorite singer was 45 when his suicide took place in 1998, the beautiful precious at the top of this picture that is...I love him so much.

157006.jpg

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

The second highest was 85 yr olds and older, so what about them? There were more *% yr old and up than teenagers committing suicide.

That is probably due more to a loss of all their friends, or pain and suffering. You also have those who are diagnosed with dementia/alzheimers wanting to end it before they lose their minds.

This is going to be a bigger and bigger issue as people without families get older and have no one to rely on once all their friends and acquaintances pass on.

That is probably due more to a loss of all their friends, or pain and suffering. You also have those who are diagnosed with dementia/alzheimers wanting to end it before they lose their minds.

This is going to be a bigger and bigger issue as people without families get older and have no one to rely on once all their friends and acquaintances pass on.

I wish we had customized assisted living places that made things fun. Like assisted living for car enthusiasts and take them on field trips to car shows.

I wish we had customized assisted living places that made things fun. Like assisted living for car enthusiasts and take them on field trips to car shows.

The question is always who pays for it. Again, I have a feeling most of the older people offing themselves don't have much family, and probably didn't save sufficiently to provide for themselves later in life.

The question is always who pays for it. Again, I have a feeling most of the older people offing themselves don't have much family, and probably didn't save sufficiently to provide for themselves later in life.

It's so sad. I was close to my Grandma and I took good care of her. I took her out frequently so she was not cooped up all alone. I wish we had a way to help out vulnerable elderly people.

Last edited:

It's so sad. I was close to my Grandma and I took good care of her. I took her out frequently so she was cooped up all alone. I wish we had a way to help out vulnerable elderly people.

I take care of my remaining grandparent, as well as a family friend who has no family left. The problem is some people don't have that support structure, something I may have to worry about as I get older.

Forum List

Back