Supply Chain Stalled Because 72,000 Truckers Failed Strict Drug Tests

The problem with truck driver pay, and most people out of the industry don't realize this, is that per hour we are paid very little. After all, we are asked/required to work 70 hours a week without any overtime.

Truckers are asked to:

1. Sit at shippers and receivers unpaid, sometimes for hours on end, waiting to be loaded or unloaded.
2. Be gone from home for weeks at a time.
3. Eat crappy food that is at truck stops as parking at most Wal Marts and other grocery stores with decent food will get your truck towed.
4. Work 70 hours every week without any overtime pay.
5. Sit unpaid in traffic jams and construction zones as we are paid by the mile so if the tires aren't burnin' you ain't earnin'.
6. Fight every night for what few parking spots are left. It's like a really sucky game of musical chairs but not with one trucker left without a spot to park, but tens of thousands.
7. Not have any access to any meaningful exercise facilities other than what I do, jog at truck stops when I stop. Then people wonder why truckers are so fat.
8. Tolerate dangerous and aggressive 4 wheeler drivers 10-11 hours every day and NEVER are we allowed to lose our composure or return the aggressive driving with some aggressive driving of our own.
9. Adhere to some of the strictest gov't regulations regardings hours of service (HOS), logbooks, roadside inspections, weight limitations, drug and alcohol use, etc that are around today. You are not paid if DOT pulls you over and wants to give you a nice level 1 inspection on the side of the road or in a chicken coup. That could take HOURS. You sit there, ON DUTY. Not driving. Not making money, but it IS eating into your 70 hours on duty allowance per week.
10, Tolerate cameras looking BOTH into the cab and outside of the cab both while we drive and while we are parked. To say it's an invasion of privacy is an understatement.

Intermodal drivers (the ones who haul the containers) have it slightly differently as most of these guys are local and thus are home every night.

A couple of these problems I've kinda got figured out by bringing most of the food I eat on the road in the truck with me, but that requires that I have 2 fridge/freezers in here which takes up most of my room. I would not be able to run teams in this truck as my team driver would have to sleep with his feet inside my fridge. I also jog every evening when I get parked, so I'm still 5'8 and 163lbs 4.5 years into driving a big rig full time.

And for those who say that, "Is it too much to ask that the driver of a big rig not drink himself drunk the night before he drives his truck?" No, that's certainly not too much to ask but that's also not even CLOSE to reality. We, as commercial drivers, ARE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE ALCOHOL IN THE TRUCK. Even in a closed container. Sealed. Even while parked, off duty on our 34 hour reset. Doesn't matter. That's why you don't see CDL drivers buying a beer at a truck stop and taking it to the truck. If another driver catches and reports them their CDL is TOAST. So no, asking truck drivers not to get shit faced drunk is not unreasonable, but you go home and have a beer every night to relax and sleep in your bed. We don't get to sleep in our own beds OR have a beer to relax.

Think about all that for a minute and tell me why we have a shortage of truck drivers.

Last edited:
Average Truck Driver Salary
$51,000 yearly
$24.55 hourly
Updated August 18, 2021

That's bullshit. If a driver is making 51,000 a year he is not making 24 dollars an hour.

70 hours worked per week x 52 weeks= 3640 hours worked

51,000 / 3640 = 14.01 per hour.

You tell me if that list of shit I posted above is worth 14 dollars an hour. And truck driver salaries vary wildly depending on what you do. New drivers with MEGA's might barely clear 35000 in their first year whereas specialized oversize haulers could make 6 figures without trying.

I would do something far worse to them… end their business model by only allowing most of their drugs to be used under direct medical supervision (in a hospital or via hone health service). No more prescriptions directly to individuals.
So...my brother has to go to a hospital to take his Claritin every day in the spring? Insane.

Reply:

Anomalism was unquestionably correct so you went sideways instead of responding straight up. If drug use were really so insignificant in this country why would there be drug testing in the first place? That truckdrivers (particularly those paid by the mile but certainly owner operators as well) have relied too much upon caffeine and amphetamines to keep them awake should come as news to no one. Many have kept two or three logs to present to the DMV or the employer depending on circumstances.

Pot, not being a stimulant, actually presents no comparable threat because it does nothing to help drivers make more money, whether paid by the mile or not. Indeed, testing for pot is just political bullshit -- tossed in to frighten, not just truckdrivers but workers in general, union employees more specifically, into pointless submission to anything and everything a big corporate paymaster may desire. We're supposed to bow down and thank the lord for any pee trickled down upon us. Oh, thank you so much for being a job provida, massa. Thank you!

It's conservatives in general who really have no clue. And no, by "you" earlier I wasn't talking about you specifically and should have made that clearer at the time. You no doubt pay your drivers well because you don't want high turnover, especially when truckdrivers are scarce like now.
Reply:

Anomalism was unquestionably correct so you went sideways instead of responding straight up. If drug use were really so insignificant in this country why would there be drug testing in the first place? That truckdrivers (particularly those paid by the mile but certainly owner operators as well) have relied too much upon caffeine and amphetamines to keep them awake should come as news to no one. Many have kept two or three logs to present to the DMV or the employer depending on circumstances.

Pot, not being a stimulant, actually presents no comparable threat because it does nothing to help drivers make more money, whether paid by the mile or not. Indeed, testing for pot is just political bullshit -- tossed in to frighten, not just truckdrivers but workers in general, union employees more specifically, into pointless submission to anything and everything a big corporate paymaster may desire. We're supposed to bow down and thank the lord for any pee trickled down upon us. Oh, thank you so much for being a job provida, massa. Thank you!

It's conservatives in general who really have no clue. And no, by "you" earlier I wasn't talking about you specifically and should have made that clearer at the time. You no doubt pay your drivers well because you don't want high turnover, especially when truckdrivers are scarce like now.
Great a guy that isn’t in the industry but pretends to know it all is calling me wrong! Interesting at any rate no matter how far off you are, drivers are allowed 11 hours driving over a 14 hour period and then required to take 10 consecutive hours off. DOT requires 50% of your drivers need random testing in any given year. As brought out earlier in the OP 72,000 failed since January 2020, that is less than 0.02% of all CDL drivers. That is far lower than those working at an Amazon. It is also lower than the general population rate which is about 6.00%.

If you are a owner/operator you have to belong to a drug testing consortium and they are required to take random tests. No escapes. I have been been in this business for 20 years and I have had only two drug fails out of hundreds of drivers.

Also, more than 600 miles a day and the DOT will start questioning why there are so many miles and can investigate and then level fines. In the age of ELD many of your nutty ideas are now obsolete. Nice try though.

Hence "Why?, You?" Because, you neither.. Duhhhhhhh! Your question was simply a trolling exercise.

Nope. You claimed that the reason why these 72,000 truck drivers were suspended for failing drug tests was because they weren't paid enough. That is a patently false statement. You have no evidence of it whatsoever. You pulled that excuse entirely out of your ass and I called you out on it. End of story.

I believe starting pay is around $90k, isn't it?

In your dreams maybe. Before covid hit us Walmart was offering that kind of money, but they are not going to accept any rookies. They want drivers with a lot of experience, a good record and very few points.

When people start off on the road that's where they gain their experience. After a year or two of that, you can apply for local jobs which are also in desperate need of drivers. A friend of mine was out of work and checked around. FedEx, UPS and major carriers are in the $28.00 an hour range right now, plus as much OT as you want and great benefits.

How successful you are in driving is all up to you and what you want in life.

You claimed that the reason why these 72,000 truck drivers were suspended for failing drug tests was because they weren't paid enough. That is a patently false statement. You have no evidence of it whatsoever. You pulled that excuse entirely out of your ass and I called you out on it. End of story.
Sure I did. Just like you're not just making shit up now to cover your ass. Go ahead quote me saying "72,000 truck drivers were suspended for failing drug tests because they weren't paid enough." Never happened except in your head, asshole. Admit it and fuck off, troll.

Great a guy that isn’t in the industry but pretends to know it all is calling me wrong! Interesting at any rate no matter how far off you are, drivers are allowed 11 hours driving over a 14 hour period and then required to take 10 consecutive hours off. DOT requires 50% of your drivers need random testing in any given year. As brought out earlier in the OP 72,000 failed since January 2020, that is less than 0.02% of all CDL drivers. That is far lower than those working at an Amazon. It is also lower than the general population rate which is about 6.00%.

If you are a owner/operator you have to belong to a drug testing consortium and they are required to take random tests. No escapes. I have been been in this business for 20 years and I have had only two drug fails out of hundreds of drivers.

Also, more than 600 miles a day and the DOT will start questioning why there are so many miles and can investigate and then level fines. In the age of ELD many of your nutty ideas are now obsolete. Nice try though.
ELD has obviously changed things very recently, but everything I said applied while I was active and before I started. I drove OTR and LTL for fifteen years and all you managed to do ^there was prove my point again. You should have just taken the olive branch and given this a rest.

So when "the office" (many smaller outfits including individual owner operators) looks the other way, they can continue getting away with cheating for a long time.

Last edited:
The problem with truck driver pay, and most people out of the industry don't realize this, is that per hour we are paid very little. After all, we are asked/required to work 70 hours a week without any overtime.
{...}
Think about all that for a minute and tell me why we have a shortage of truck drivers.
Yep, OTR is really 24/7. Often grinding tour teeth from the moment you leave home to when you return. That's why the average pay ain't nearly enough.

Yep, OTR is really 24/7. Often grinding tour teeth from the moment you leave home to when you return. That's why the average pay ain't nearly enough.

People that go home every night from work will NEVER understand OTR truck driving. Imagine having to sleep at work every night for 2 weeks, never going home. Never sleeping in your own bed, but sleeping on a cot next to an idling truck. Never being able to get away from work and have your "own time." Nope, for 2 weeks you are owned by your company. For 14 hours a day, not 8 or 9 like most people work at their desk jobs.

They could double how much truck drivers are paid tomorrow and it still wouldn't be enough.

ELD has obviously changed things very recently, but everything I said applied while I was active and before I started. I drove OTR and LTL for fifteen years and all you managed to do ^there was prove my point again. You should have just taken the olive branch and given this a rest.

So when "the office" (many smaller outfits including individual owner operators) looks the other way, they can continue getting away with cheating for a long time.

Do you even have a point?

Do you even have a point?
I've shared plenty here, but if you're referring to the one I said you just proved again, sure, let's review.
Great a guy that isn’t in the industry but pretends to know it all is calling me wrong!
I had to retire from the industry because the work finished destroying my back after running a landscaping business for at least as many years prior. I loved being a Teamster and look forward to drawing from my pension very soon. I don't recall saying you were wrong.
Interesting at any rate no matter how far off you are, drivers are allowed 11 hours driving over a 14 hour period and then required to take 10 consecutive hours off.
:sigh2:Talk about having no real point..
DOT requires 50% of your drivers need random testing in any given year. As brought out earlier in the OP 72,000 failed since January 2020, that is less than 0.02% of all CDL drivers. That is far lower than those working at an Amazon. It is also lower than the general population rate which is about 6.00%.
And there you go.. Again. So, since you asked, once more, Me:
If drug use were really so insignificant in this country why would there be drug testing in the first place?
From the news:
“It’s a staggering number of drivers we have lost” because of the new drug-testing rules, Jeremy Reymer, chief executive of industry recruiter DriverReach, told The Post.
Now does Jememy also know nothing in your opinion? "Interesting" how he claims it's the rules that are primarily to blame for this "staggering" shortage. Now why would that be if only a teensy weensy bit have been negatively affected by all this random drug testing? What percentage of those 72,000 lost their jobs due to casual use of cannabis 8 or more hours prior to being on duty? Getting it now?

So have the National Guard step in until shipping companies can hire enough drivers…

I've been in the business over 30 years. In all that time we've never had enough drivers. With new government regulations they forced me off the road, and they make more new regulations nearly every single year.

So what's up for next year? Instead of learning to drive a truck through a company or driving school, starting February you will have to go to a government school. They will give you a choice of which ones you can attend. Even if you work for a company like I did that moved up class B drivers to class A (straight truck to tractor-trailer) you still have to attend government school. Same holds true if you want to add a Haz-Mat endorsement. Before you just took a test. Now to get your Haz-Mat you will need to go to government school and then take a test.

Bureaucrats make it more and more difficult for people to get or stay in this line of work. After a while you say F-it already. I'm sick of this government bullshit and get out of it.

I've shared plenty here, but if you're referring to the one I said you just proved again, sure, let's review.

I had to retire from the industry because the work finished destroying my back after running a landscaping business for at least as many years prior. I loved being a Teamster and look forward to drawing from my pension very soon. I don't recall saying you were wrong.

:sigh2:Talk about having no real point..

And there you go.. Again. So, since you asked, once more, Me:

From the news:

Now does Jememy also know nothing in your opinion? "Interesting" how he claims it's the rules that are primarily to blame for this "staggering" shortage. Now why would that be if only a teensy weensy bit have been negatively affected by all this random drug testing? What percentage of those 72,000 lost their jobs due to casual use of cannabis 8 or more hours prior to being on duty? Getting it now?
None of what you said to me is relevant to me. I know the industry been it and am still in it, and safety is our primary concern. 72,000 out 3.5 million is less than 0.02% of all drivers on the road. Also, a number of those 72,000 are back on the road afterwards that is my point. 0.02% of the workforce does not cause a shortage, sorry that is just a stupid claim.

Truckers on drugs need to be removed--they are threat to everyone else on the road...and should have been occuring long ago...many lives could have been saved.

This said CALIFORNIA could get a bunch of truckers by not harassing non california non-union drivers and preventing from driving in the state.

Actually they have laws there preventing owner-operators from driving in the state. Plus if the engine in your truck is older than 2010, you can't drive in that state either. That's why all those container ships are sitting in the ocean like fishing boats. Unions and environmentalists are the problem. Oh, and BTW, they've always had drug testing for drivers.

Actually they have laws there preventing owner-operators from driving in the state. Plus if the engine in your truck is older than 2010, you can't drive in that state either. That's why all those container ships are sitting in the ocean like fishing boats. Unions and environmentalists are the problem. Oh, and BTW, they've always had drug testing for drivers.
We very rarely will go into California, a big hassle and not worth the time or money they want to pay for loads.

In your dreams maybe. Before covid hit us Walmart was offering that kind of money, but they are not going to accept any rookies. They want drivers with a lot of experience, a good record and very few points.

When people start off on the road that's where they gain their experience. After a year or two of that, you can apply for local jobs which are also in desperate need of drivers. A friend of mine was out of work and checked around. FedEx, UPS and major carriers are in the $28.00 an hour range right now, plus as much OT as you want and great benefits.

How successful you are in driving is all up to you and what you want in life.
Local place that hauls mail is advertising $27-30/hour.

Forum List

Back