Supreme Court deals blow to Rebel Flag

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Too bad for the Sons of Confederate Veterans

Supreme Court says states can block Confederate flag license plates

The justices said in a 5-4 decision that Texas' specialty license plate program is a form of government, not private, speech. The First Amendment does not prohibit the state from rejecting some designs, they said.
"States have long used license plates in this country to convey government messages," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the majority, which included the court's other more liberal justices along with Clarence Thomas. Just as the state cannot force drivers to espouse a particular message, he said, drivers cannot force a state to espouse theirs.

The justices said in a 5-4 decision that Texas' specialty license plate program is a form of government, not private, speech. The First Amendment does not prohibit the state from rejecting some designs, they said.
"States have long used license plates in this country to convey government messages," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the majority, which included the court's other more liberal justices along with Clarence Thomas. Just as the state cannot force drivers to espouse a particular message, he said, drivers cannot force a state to espouse theirs.

Communist bastards.

Actually I agree with this ruling.

I do think people who's knee jerk reaction to the Rebel Flag is of derision and spite are as bigoted as they insist the display of the flag is.

In this case however the State of (any state) TX should not be forced to emblazon an image in a plate if it has a concern that it would be found offensive to a significant percentage of it's population for rational reasons.

I think black people particularly have a rational reason to be offended at the flag. Not everyone who displays it is a racist though. Some people feel it is a symbol of rebellion and heritage, not hate.

Now if the atheitards started getting butthurt about Christian symbols on plates they can just go get some Preparation-H and fuck themselves. There is no rational reason to be offended by religious symbols.

I do think people who's knee jerk reaction to the Rebel Flag is of derision and spite are as bigoted as they insist the display of the flag is.

In this case however the State of (any state) TX should not be forced to emblazon an image in a plate if it has a concern that it would be found offensive to a significant percentage of it's population for rational reasons.

I think black people particularly have a rational reason to be offended at the flag. Not everyone who displays it is a racist though. Some people feel it is a symbol of rebellion and heritage, not hate.

Now if the atheitards started getting butthurt about Christian symbols on plates they can just go get some Preparation-H and fuck themselves. There is no rational reason to be offended by religious symbols.

Communist BS. The flag hurts no one. It's just another "politically correct" statement to pacify the masses.

From the CNN article:

In Texas, drivers can choose to have standard issue plates or plates with messages authorized by the Texas legislature. But there is a third alternative, and that was the question before the Court: individuals and businesses can pay and create a design for their license plates subject to the approval of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board (DMVB). The plates are designed to raise revenue, and the DMV could reject the application if it was found to be "offensive to any member of the public."

Its really simple then, just start spamming the DMV that you are offended by every single type of custom plate you see.

Communist BS. The flag hurts no one. It's just another "politically correct" statement to pacify the masses.

Doesn't mean they have to ban them. States rights victory.

It's the STATE department of motor vehicles. They can deny anything they want. Indiana denied a LBGTQGF license plate too.

holy smokes. these people won't be satisfied until they take away all OUR RIGHTS in this country
drip drip drip all over some freaking flag

Then why dont we have Nazi license plates?

We have much bigger fish to fry in this country. Why would anyone waste time on such a non-issue as the flag. We have wars, poverty, unemployment, a rundown infrastructure, debt, homelessness, illegal immigration, and a host of other issues that our attention needs to be focused on. This is political BS.

I haven't figured that one out yet, but it may be coming soon. Everything else is going to hell in a hand basket in this country. I wouldn't be shocked if they came on the market tomorrow.

I haven't figured that one out yet, but it may be coming soon. Everything else is going to hell in a hand basket in this country. I wouldn't be shocked if they came on the market tomorrow.

You KNOW why. And you would NOT be defending it for those same reasons

holy smokes. these people won't be satisfied until they take away all OUR RIGHTS in this country

If you want a rebel flag on your car, slap it on the bumper. Or in the back window. Or fluttering from your radio antenna. Paint it on the roof like the General Lee.

You have every freedom to express yourself. What you can't do is force the State to express your beliefs.

We have much bigger fish to fry in this country. Why would anyone waste time on such a non-issue as the flag. We have wars, poverty, unemployment, a rundown infrastructure, debt, homelessness, illegal immigration, and a host of other issues that our attention needs to be focused on. This is political BS.

Would you have the Federal Courts tell the States what they must print on their license plates?

If you want a rebel flag on your car, slap it on the bumper. Or in the back window. Or fluttering from your radio antenna. Paint it on the roof like the General Lee.

You have every freedom to express yourself. What you can't do is force the State to express your beliefs.

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right? The state is offering a service for a fee, just like the baker, so why would they be exempt from public accommodation laws?

Where are the indictments?

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right? The state is offering a service for a fee, just like the baker, so why would they be exempt from public accommodation laws?
That's different, because those bakers have been invoking religious freedom, which is at odds with anti discrimination laws...and the bakery is not a religious institution.

Furthermore, this is like complaining about a war on Christmas. You can't swing a dead cat between Novermber and February without knocking over someone's Xmas decorations.

And you can't get from your house to the car without seeing some Confederate flag waving around anywhere in the south.

This topic about license plates reminds me of this idiotic post:

I have lived in the South a long time and I have hardly seen any Confederate flags ever.

To which I replied:
2h3a744.jpg

Forum List

Back