Supreme Court deals blow to Rebel Flag

Too bad for the Sons of Confederate Veterans

Supreme Court says states can block Confederate flag license plates

The justices said in a 5-4 decision that Texas' specialty license plate program is a form of government, not private, speech. The First Amendment does not prohibit the state from rejecting some designs, they said.
"States have long used license plates in this country to convey government messages," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the majority, which included the court's other more liberal justices along with Clarence Thomas. Just as the state cannot force drivers to espouse a particular message, he said, drivers cannot force a state to espouse theirs.

Communist bastards.

how so? because the state government disapproves traitors' flags?

what's communist about texas?

Too bad for the Sons of Confederate Veterans

Supreme Court says states can block Confederate flag license plates

The justices said in a 5-4 decision that Texas' specialty license plate program is a form of government, not private, speech. The First Amendment does not prohibit the state from rejecting some designs, they said.
"States have long used license plates in this country to convey government messages," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the majority, which included the court's other more liberal justices along with Clarence Thomas. Just as the state cannot force drivers to espouse a particular message, he said, drivers cannot force a state to espouse theirs.

Communist bastards.

how so? because the state government disapproves traitors' flags?

what's communist about texas?

Might as well display the Nazi Flag

It's on our state flag, and we ain't gonna change it.

mississippi state flag pictures - Yahoo Search Results

I think you should keep flying a racist treasonous flag.
Damn right! And we celebrate Robert E. Lee Day and Confederate Memorial Day. In fact, I fly my Rebel flag every 4th of July and fire my little toy cannon in "meberence of the surrender of Vicksburg and the Battle of Gettysburg and the beginning of the end of the Glorious Cause.

I don't care if the white separatists want to publicly display their flag. It makes it easier to identify them.

Damn right! And we celebrate Robert E. Lee Day and Confederate Memorial Day. In fact, I fly my Rebel flag every 4th of July and fire my little toy cannon in "meberence of the surrender of Vicksburg and the Battle of Gettysburg and the beginning of the end of the Glorious Cause.
BRAVO !!!!!!!!!! .... Very well stated ...... good for you ........... BRAVO !!!!!

BRAVO !!!!!!!!!! .... Very well stated ...... good for you ........... BRAVO !!!!!

now tell us again how "patriotic" you rightwingnuts are.

:lmao:

now tell us again how "patriotic" you rightwingnuts are.

:lmao:
WHY ???

By the way, who is a rightwingnut?

holy smokes. these people won't be satisfied until they take away all OUR RIGHTS in this country
drip drip drip all over some freaking flag

If you want a rebel flag on your car, slap it on the bumper. Or in the back window. Or fluttering from your radio antenna. Paint it on the roof like the General Lee.

You have every freedom to express yourself. What you can't do is force the State to express your beliefs.

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right?

Anyone engaged in commerce is subject to PA laws. Most PA laws don't express my beliefs.

A license plate isn't commerce.

My daughter better not bring home no Yankee from that fancy ass northern liberal arts school my wife made me let her go to. (-:

Because it strikes fear into the hearts of left wingers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 53
holy smokes. these people won't be satisfied until they take away all OUR RIGHTS in this country

If you want a rebel flag on your car, slap it on the bumper. Or in the back window. Or fluttering from your radio antenna. Paint it on the roof like the General Lee.

You have every freedom to express yourself. What you can't do is force the State to express your beliefs.

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right? The state is offering a service for a fee, just like the baker, so why would they be exempt from public accommodation laws?
That's different, because those bakers have been invoking religious freedom, which is at odds with anti discrimination laws...and the bakery is not a religious institution.

Furthermore, this is like complaining about a war on Christmas. You can't swing a dead cat between Novermber and February without knocking over someone's Xmas decorations.

And you can't get from your house to the car without seeing some Confederate flag waving around anywhere in the south.

Funny I live in the south, I've seen more confederate battle flags on this forum than I have in my area.

Also the supreme court held in the Hobby Lobby decision says that a closely held company has religious freedom rights, so if a baker finds a message to religiously offensive they have just as much right to refuse the service as a bunch of state bureaucrats who arbitrarily find a message offensive on a license plate, especially when the state custom plates are a for profit endeavor.

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right?

Anyone engaged in commerce is subject to PA laws. Most PA laws don't express my beliefs.

A license plate isn't commerce.

Actually custom plates are commerce, the state makes a profit on them over and above normal fees.

The man can still take bis case TomTom Texas Supreme Court which, by law, hast oder hold Update,the constitition.

Right, but the state can force a baker to express your beliefs, right? The state is offering a service for a fee, just like the baker, so why would they be exempt from public accommodation laws?
That's different, because those bakers have been invoking religious freedom, which is at odds with anti discrimination laws...and the bakery is not a religious institution.

Furthermore, this is like complaining about a war on Christmas. You can't swing a dead cat between Novermber and February without knocking over someone's Xmas decorations.

And you can't get from your house to the car without seeing some Confederate flag waving around anywhere in the south.

Funny I live in the south, I've seen more confederate battle flags on this forum than I have in my area.

Also the supreme court held in the Hobby Lobby decision says that a closely held company has religious freedom rights, so if a baker finds a message to religiously offensive they have just as much right to refuse the service as a bunch of state bureaucrats who arbitrarily find a message offensive on a license plate, especially when the state custom plates are a for profit endeavor.

Start an amendmrnt that sass conferierte Flags arme legal everywhere.

Start an amendmrnt that sass conferierte Flags arme legal everywhere.

You're missing the whole point, states are offering a for profit service to the public and claiming exemption from the same laws they hold private businesses to, the message is irrelevant. If a business can't refuse a service based on what they deem offensive, the state should be held to the same standard.

Forum List

Back