Supreme Court justices appear skeptical of California animal welfare law

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
The Supreme Court justices sounded wary Tuesday of California's animal welfare law and its protections for breeding pigs, warning it could set off a wave of state laws that put a wide array of restrictions on products moving nationwide.

Pork producers based in the Midwest challenged the California ballot measure that would ban the sale of pork in the state if it originated with the extreme confining of breeding pigs in narrow metal cages.

They argued that Proposition 12, which was approved by California voters in 2018, is unconstitutional because its "practical effect" would be to force hog farmers across the nation to make costly changes in how they raise and confine their breeding pigs. They noted that more than 99% of the pork sold in California comes from other states.

Mr. Filburn? Is that you?
There's no question at all that CA's law has an effect on interstate commerce and as such, is, at worst, subject to review by the USSC.
Given past ICC rulings , and the current court, it seems exceptionally likely that the CA restriction will be struck.

(if you don’t get the Filburn reference: Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) )

Since there has not been a ruling yet this is said with that understood.

Are they saying it's the Federal governments place to oversee the breeding of animals but not humans?

Since there has not been a ruling yet this is said with that understood.
Are they saying it's the Federal governments place to oversee the breeding of animals but not humans?
It might help for you to read the article, and the case I cited
The argument is the CA law places undue burdens and restrictions that will affect the entire US pork industry.

It might help for you to read the article, and the case I cited
The argument is the CA law places undue burdens and restrictions that will affect the entire US pork industry.

OK, so you didn't counter anything I said. They possibly are arguing the Federal government should have a say in the reproduction of pigs, but not humans.

You didn't present anything for me to counter - you asked a question which has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
If you read the article I posted, you'd know that.
Try doing that, then discuss the issue.

I read the article. I then stated what I stated.

I am pro-bacon.

It's the candy of all meats.

Yesterday for lunch my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend made me a grilled cheese sandwich with Boar's Head American cheese and Smithfield applewood-smoked, thick-cut bacon.

It was downright sublime...

And what you stated was a question.

How is someone supposed to counter a question?

You are supposed to address it.

But just so I am clear..........if a state wishes to not have a product sold in state that is produced where they believe the animals are treated poorly, that should not be a states rights issue?

Mr. Filburn? Is that you?
There's no question at all that CA's law has an effect on interstate commerce and as such, is, at worst, subject to review by the USSC.
Given past ICC rulings , and the current court, it seems exceptionally likely that the CA restriction will be struck.

(if you don’t get the Filburn reference: Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) )

Watched this last night and it showed examples of how California is causing prices on meat and gas to go up in 17 other states because of what they decide to and in some cases cause prices to go up for the country.

He was talking about pork specifically in California on the show.

But just so I am clear..........if a state wishes to not have a product sold in state that is produced where they believe the animals are treated poorly, that should not be a states rights issue?
"States rights" applies to areas where the federal government does not have power granted to it by the US Constitution; the regulation of interstate commerce is directly allocated to the federal government.

Interstate Commerce law is -quite- clear here.

Watched this last night and it showed examples of how California is causing prices on meat and gas to go up in 17 other states because of what they decide to and in some cases cause prices to go up for the country.
I have no doubt.
Assuming the USSC strikes this, those regulations are ripe.

"States rights" applies to areas where the federal government does not have power granted to it by the US Constitution; the regulation of interstate commerce is directly allocated to the federal government.

Interstate Commerce law is -quite- clear here.

California is not restricting any other state from treating animals poorly.

We can look at automobiles. Manufacturers have long had to produce cars that meet the stricter emissions of California. Now they are calling for stricter requirements on treating animals.

Forum List

Back