Survey on Edward Snowden

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
I've got a few short questions for you guys about the NSA leaker, Edward Snowden issue.

1) Do you believe that former NSA employee Edward Snowden is a hero, a traitor, or something else?

A) Yes, he is a hero.
B) Yes, he is a traitor.
C) He is somewhere in between. (Please explain)

2) Is it acceptable for the NSA to spy on Americans to stop terrorism?

A) Yes, acceptable.
B) No, not acceptable.

3) Is James Clapper, U.S. Intelligence Chief, one of the real villains in this issue?

A) Yes.
B) No.

4) Do you trust President Barack Obama and his administration to oversee the NSA's spying activities?

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Oh hell no.

5) If you had a choice between more spying and less terrorism, or less spying but greater privacy, which would you choose?

A) More spying, less terrorism
B) Less spying, more privacy

6) Does our current government necessitate the existence of people like Edward Snowden?

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Unsure.

7) Do you think it is fair that Edward Snowden, the man who told the truth, deserves to be treated like a bad man in spite of the fact that it is our very government who has been lying to us?

A) It's fair for him to be treated that way.
B) No, it's unfair.

8) Do you believe people should speak truth to power?

A) Yes.
B) No.

Sorry

The issue is much more complex than that

Sorry

While it is a complex issue, your opinions on this survey would be appreciated. I'd like to better understand your point of view on this, please.

I've got a few short questions for you guys about the NSA leaker, Edward Snowden issue.

1) Do you believe that former NSA employee Edward Snowden is a hero, a traitor, or something else?

A) Yes, he is a hero.
B) Yes, he is a traitor.
C) He is somewhere in between. (Please explain)

I dunno. I'm mostly just fed up with the fixation him as a personality. it's a sideshow, distracting us from the more important issues of policy.

A) Yes, acceptable.
B) No, not acceptable.

Not as they're going about it, no. The PATRIOT ACT authorizes secret surveillance that is in fundamental in conflict with due process and just government.

3) Is James Clapper, U.S. Intelligence Chief, one of the real villains in this issue?

A) Yes.
B) No.

"Heroes" and "Villains" seems to trivialize the issue. He's implementing policy that is fundamentally un-American in my view.

4) Do you trust President Barack Obama and his administration to oversee the NSA's spying activities?

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Oh hell no.

No. But it's not a question of trust really.

5) If you had a choice between more spying and less terrorism, or less spying but greater privacy, which would you choose?

I'm not sure. In any case, I don't believe that is the choice we face. It's a false dichotomy.

6) Does our current government necessitate the existence of people like Edward Snowden?

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Unsure.

If by 'people like Edward Snowden' you mean people willing to push back on overreaching government, then "yes".

7) Do you think it is fair that Edward Snowden, the man who told the truth, deserves to be treated like a bad man in spite of the fact that it is our very government who has been lying to us?

B) No, it's unfair.

Probably not. But I don't know all the details. I'm far more interested in the opportunity to revisit the radical changes to our government that have occurred in the last ten years.

A) Yes.
B) No.

Absolutely.

1. He is a hero
2. It is never acceptable for a government to institute a stasi program to spy on its own citizens.
3. Yes. In Clapper's own words he given the least untruthful answers to questions.
5. No good answers. We should be spying on those individuals that have already shown a propensity to be America's enemies (not obama's enemies because we all know that he considers all Americans his enemies).
6. Yes. We need men like Edward Snowden the way France needed it's Resistance to fight the Vichys.
7. Fair or unfair is not applicable. It is unjust for him to be treated like this.
8. Absolutely yes.

I think the more we focus on Snowden, the less we focus on the fact that our government is spying on it's own people.

I don't care about Snowden. I care about what the NSA has done...and apparently continues to do.

Responses in Blue

A) Yes, he is a hero.
B) Yes, he is a traitor.
C) He is somewhere in between. (Please explain) If he was so confident he was doing the right thing he would have stayed and faced the consequences. Instead he cares more about his own benefit, and is now consorting with countries that have much worse human rights records.

A) Yes, acceptable.
B) No, not acceptable.

A) Yes.
B) No.

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Oh hell no. I don't trust the moonbat messiah to do anything right.

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Unsure.

B) No, it's unfair.
C) He brought it upon himself.

A) Yes.
B) No.

I think the more we focus on Snowden, the less we focus on the fact that our government is spying on it's own people.

I don't care about Snowden. I care about what the NSA has done...and apparently continues to do.

In a way, people should care about Edward Snowden's status, because it tells us exactly how the government thinks about and responds towards people who air their dirty laundry. It is thanks to Snowden that we now know that we were being lied to. Casting him into prison after being illuminated by him doesn't seem very fair, to be honest with you. Another reason to care about Snowden right now is that he may release equal or even worse schemes than the NSA surveillance of American citizens.

Sorry

Basically it's Obama that's using Government to spy on it's own citizens so that makes it "complex" rather than just wrong. Under lets say Bush or any Republican that has ever lived it would be pure evil to RW, but under Obama or a Democrat it's "complex."

No no, RW you're not the average everyday hyper partisan left wing nut job at all... And all Obama's wars, military spending and record deficits don't count either, they're "complex" issues now that Bush is no longer doing them.

Last edited:
People seem to think this started either with President Obama or President Cheney. Neither is true. Our government has systematically spied on us since before WWII and probably well before that.

The difference is technology. We have cheerfully accepted things like the ubiquitous video cameras, cel phones with GPS and Google's street level photos of our homes.

For many, I suspect the poison is in the dose.

I was against the Patriot Act and I'm still against it. But, NO president, D or R, will ever ever repeal it.

People seem to think this started either with President Obama or President Cheney. Neither is true. Our government has systematically spied on us since before WWII and probably well before that.

The difference is technology. We have cheerfully accepted things like the ubiquitous video cameras, cel phones with GPS and Google's street level photos of our homes.

I was against the Patriot Act and I'm still against it. But, NO president, D or R, will ever ever repeal it.

Partisan equivocation at it's 'finest'. You're a whore.

A) Yes, he is a hero.
B) Yes, he is a traitor.
C) He is somewhere in between. (Please explain) C - I think there is a lot of right in what he did because the american people need to know what their government is up to. Obama campaigned on an anti patriot act platform. Then proceeded to not only extend it, but give it more teeth. He is in the dirt as much as bush ever was and I think the left needs to wake up to that fact. I do feel he compromised some of out efforts however. overall his actions were more of a plus

A) Yes, acceptable. yes, within reason. if they truly have good reason to. unfortunately our government has demonstrated they do not operate within acceptable bounds
B) No, not acceptable.

A) Yes. probably
B) No.

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Oh hell no. C. not even close. the guy lies through his teeth and is totally disingenuous. I probably trust him and his administration less then any previous one. and i didn't trust them either

A) More spying, less terrorism - i have nothing to hide. in an ideal world I would choose A. but in our world, even when we find something out we are to PC to react in the way we should.

A) Yes. Yes, on this and a dozen other issues . Our government can not be trusted
B) No.
C) Unsure.

B) No, it's unfair. mixed. he broke a law. he has to be held accountable. now if our government would only keep that in mind in their dealings with illegals we wouldn't have immigration problems and need reform

A) Yes. absolutely. remember, they work for us
B) No.

my 2 cents

Well I guess Obama was not the man he and people like you made him out to be, he's just as bad as any other dip shit big Government freedom hating President we have had in the past. Thanks for admitting that.

... said the most dishonest and most partisan hack on the board. When you grow a pair and can own up to what you really think, you'll have the right to criticize others. Until then, you're just so much hot air.

So, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Seriously, I'm subject to lots of criticism. I have lots of flaws. But partisanship is probably the weakest claim you could make. You, on the other hand, defend the Democrats, and particularly the president, no matter how hypocritical their actions. It's utterly disgusting. People like you are sending our nation down the shitter. I'm not inclined to be considerate or patient with your ilk. Not anymore.

Last edited:

... said the most dishonest and most partisan hack on the board. When you grow a pair and can own up to what you really think, you'll have the right to criticize others. Until then, you're just so much hot air.

So, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Seriously, I'm subject to lots of criticism. I have lots of flaws. But partisanship is probably the weakest claim you could make. You, on the other hand, defend the Democrats, and particularly the president, no matter how hypocritical their actions. It's utterly disgusting. People like you are sending out nation down the shitter. I'm not inclined to be considerate or patient with your ilk. Not anymore.

I agree 100%. I mean look at his statements claiming no President D or R will repeal the patriot act... We have had one fucking President since the Patriot act, OBAMA. And what did OBAMA (D) do? OBAMA expanded the patriot act and kill's US citizens.

Who knows what future Presidents will do, but that does not let fucking OBAMA off the hook for running on the anti Patriot act candidate only to expand that shit in the worst ways possible.

LOL, Obama is off the hook because future Presidents MIGHT NOT repeal the patriot act... Wow... And luddy calls others partisan.

A hero is someone who puts himself in harm's way for the good of others in a worthy cause.

Snowden is close. He clearly put himself in harm's way. And he did it for the American People. We are debating whether his is a worthy cause. The more our untrustworthy Government howls that it is not, the more I think it is.

Clapper committed perjury.

This blanket surveillance (collecting the e-mails and phone records of all Americans for use down the road) has got to stop. it will be grossly misused, eventually, probably soon.

What about when the term "terrorist" is redefined to mean every white boy with a deer rifle from Montana to Mississippi? The Obama people are almost there already.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back