Talmudic vs non-Talmudic Judaism

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
As a Jew who identifies as non-Talmudic, I often butt heads with Talmudic Jews over questions of Jewish law. They argue Talmud is the last word on such matters, I say Torah is. It leads to some very enjoyable discussions.

Know that Islam is more like Judaism in how it has both the Qur'an, and the a-Hadiths which is akin to our Talmud. But does Christianity have anythign similar? Is it fair to say Christianity goes by the Bible, but sometimes also individual religious leaders like the Pope, or a denomination's own way of doing things? When the two get into conflict, who has ultimate authority? If G-d, then why isn't the BIble the first and last word, why do so many Christian denominations have their own set of 'bylaws' or other such laws for their members if the BIble would always be deferred to?

Does it explain in the written Torah why the oral Torah is meant to be fluid? In the story of Moses receiving the tablets it seems like the law is pretty straight forward. Why even the need for an oral Torah?

I'm trying to be careful about how I word questions regarding about the Talmud as I don't want to offend you. But in applying it to the original question why the need for yet another book? Is the Talmud thought of a divinely inspired or without question the written thoughts and laws created by men?

Does it explain in the written Torah why the oral Torah is meant to be fluid? In the story of Moses receiving the tablets it seems like the law is pretty straight forward. Why even the need for an oral Torah?

I'm trying to be careful about how I word questions regarding about the Talmud as I don't want to offend you. But in applying it to the original question why the need for yet another book? Is the Talmud thought of a divinely inspired or without question the written thoughts and laws created by men?

One of the reasons I reject Talmud is because it claims to be this 'oral Torah' despite being written down. My opinion on the intent of the oral Torah was that it was intended to stay unofficial so what worked for Jews in one place, wouldn't come to be mandatory for Jews everywhere, yet that's exactly what Talmud's done, and why I reject it. I consult it when confused on something, but don't consider it binding.

I appreciate your diplomacy, but if I ever talked religion walking on egg shells I wouldn't even bother. Just ask. The mature wont mistake a poor choice of words as a personal affront.

Talmud is the opinions (often contradictory) of various Jewish sages over the centuries on Torah's laws and regulations. Kinda like how modern US courts further define and implment Constitutional laws. The Torah's the Constitution, the Talmud's state laws which often countermands the Constitution (as with gun laws most notably.)

Talmud isn't claimed to be 'divinely inspired' or otherwise from G-d. Only Tanach/Torah has that authority. Yet pro-Talmudic Jews point to a commandment saying to cleave to Jewish scholars (those learned in the Torah.) Talmud then adds 'doing so is equal to cleaving to the L-rd.' Gee, convenient. So this is where Talmudic Judaism gets it's authority, from itself. But Talmud can't establish it's authority by giving it to itself, that's logically wrong. Be like saying the book Dianetics proves or justifies Scientology. Well of course it does. What else would it do? :)

Forum List

Back