Tammy Duckworth Eviscerates Contractor Who Claimed Veterans Disability

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
OMG, she humiliated this fake. Good for her. < My comment.
:clap2:

WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday, Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), a veteran of the Iraq War, dramatically chastised a federal contractor who claimed that a high school sports injury had rendered him a service-disabled veteran.

Speaking during a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Duckworth vividly described to a committee witness, Braulio Castillo, how she lives in near constant pain after losing both of her legs during her service as a combat pilot.

Castillo cited his foot injury, suffered at a military prep school, as the basis for his IT company's application for special status as a "service-disabled veteran-owned small business." The application was granted, and his company, Strong Castle, was given preferential treatment in federal contract bids.

"Does your foot hurt?" Duckworth asked Castillo, who answered yes.

"My feet hurt too," said Duckworth. "In fact, the balls of my feet burn continuously, and I feel like there's a nail being hammered into my heel right now. So I can understand pain and suffering, and how service connection can actually cause long-term, unremitting, unyielding, unstoppable pain."

"I'm sorry that twisting your ankle in high school has now come back to hurt you in such a painful way, if also opportune for you to gain this status for your business," she added.

Over a six-month period in 2012, Strong Castle won contracts with the Internal Revenue Service worth as much as $500 million. Wednesday's hearing followed a damning report that detailed how a senior IRS agent helped Castillo win the government business. The IRS agent in question, Greg Roseman, was dismissed from the hearing after he exercised his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
<more>

OMG, she humiliated this fake. Good for her. < My comment.
:clap2:

WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday, Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), a veteran of the Iraq War, dramatically chastised a federal contractor who claimed that a high school sports injury had rendered him a service-disabled veteran.

Speaking during a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Duckworth vividly described to a committee witness, Braulio Castillo, how she lives in near constant pain after losing both of her legs during her service as a combat pilot.

Castillo cited his foot injury, suffered at a military prep school, as the basis for his IT company's application for special status as a "service-disabled veteran-owned small business." The application was granted, and his company, Strong Castle, was given preferential treatment in federal contract bids.

"Does your foot hurt?" Duckworth asked Castillo, who answered yes.

"My feet hurt too," said Duckworth. "In fact, the balls of my feet burn continuously, and I feel like there's a nail being hammered into my heel right now. So I can understand pain and suffering, and how service connection can actually cause long-term, unremitting, unyielding, unstoppable pain."

"I'm sorry that twisting your ankle in high school has now come back to hurt you in such a painful way, if also opportune for you to gain this status for your business," she added.

Over a six-month period in 2012, Strong Castle won contracts with the Internal Revenue Service worth as much as $500 million. Wednesday's hearing followed a damning report that detailed how a senior IRS agent helped Castillo win the government business. The IRS agent in question, Greg Roseman, was dismissed from the hearing after he exercised his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
<more>

Saw the video...she ripped him a new one.

Even Duckworth admitted he didn't break any laws... so I don't see how he gets prison.

The problem here is that the definition of military disability is so broadly written that any physical change incurred while in uniform can qualify. I still have pain from a pair of foot operations I got when I was in. I could technically qualify. Would never do such a thing. But I could the way the law is written.

So as much as I like Tammy (I campaigned for her last time she ran), the prudent thing would be to rewrite the law to actually apply to the people it was meant to help.

Even Duckworth admitted he didn't break any laws... so I don't see how he gets prison.

The problem here is that the definition of military disability is so broadly written that any physical change incurred while in uniform can qualify. I still have pain from a pair of foot operations I got when I was in. I could technically qualify. Would never do such a thing. But I could the way the law is written.

So as much as I like Tammy (I campaigned for her last time she ran), the prudent thing would be to rewrite the law to actually apply to the people it was meant to help.

so as the law is, getting hurt and being hurt are the same thing?

so as the law is, getting hurt and being hurt are the same thing?

If you got your disability while in uniform, it technically counts. It doesn't distinguish between battle injuries and occupational injuries.

if I recall correctly from watching the hearing, what was really remarkable is Duchworth stated, having lost both legs and still fighting to save an arm, her disability rating is 20%. Yet this guys is 30%

if I recall correctly from watching the hearing, what was really remarkable is Duchworth stated, having lost both legs and still fighting to save an arm, her disability rating is 20%. Yet this guys is 30%

I don't think that's quite accurate. She said that her arm that was "essentially blown off and reattached" gave her a 20% disability rating for the arm while his sprained ankle was given 30%.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rPOKm20wP4s]Rep. Duckworth Deplores Witness for Claiming Veterans Disability - YouTube[/ame]

I'm pretty sure the double amputation of her legs rates her total disability at 40% at least.

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

Of course it's bullshit that he was given a disability rating at all, since he played college football after his injury.

Last edited:
Saw the video...she ripped him a new one.

I saw it, too. As a retired vet myself, it was angering me deeply the way that fucker abused the system and played himself up as being injured during service to his country.

Good for her. That was awesome.

When are democrats like Duckworth going to quit the political posturing and call for the indictment of IRS officials who break the law?

Forum List

Back