Teacher fired by Texas Christian school for attending drag show

Maris said she was a devoted Christian and taught her students that God loved them all equally. “We should love everybody, and that’s what we’ve been teaching, but they’re expecting us not to do that,” she said.

Apparently she has a clause in her contract that requires her to be "Godly".

But she had no idea that having a burger at Haburger Mary was un Godly.

It seems to be a loosely defined clause and very much open to the interpretation of whoever is in charge at the time.

I am certain it would not be upheld in the UK but I am not an expert on US employment law.

So her 20 year service is binned just like that. I dont see the Godly in that action

"We should love everybody" doesnt seem to be a part of modern Christian teaching.

In Britain she would have been arrested if she used the wrong gender........arrested....then likely fired....

Maris said she was a devoted Christian and taught her students that God loved them all equally. “We should love everybody, and that’s what we’ve been teaching, but they’re expecting us not to do that,” she said.

It seems to be a loosely defined clause and very much open to the interpretation of whoever is in charge at the time.

I am certain it would not be upheld in the UK but I am not an expert on US employment law.

So her 20 year service is binned just like that. I dont see the Godly in that action

"We should love everybody" doesnt seem to be a part of modern Christian teaching.

You can love everyone and not engage in promoting their lifestyle......

She posted images of the show on her facebook page, in violation of her pledge....

Where does the contract stae she cant go to Hamburger Mary ? It doesnt.

She attended the drag show.....and then posted images of it on her facebook page....

From your link....you doofus....

requiring her to “act in a godly and moral fashion at work, on Facebook and in my community”.
------
Maris told ABC13 of Houston she agreed to the condition, but did not realize it prevented her attending a drag show, or sharing photographs or videos of it. In a Facebook post, she said the entertainment was “a blast”.

She agreed to be "Godly" on Facebook, and in public. She can sin all she likes in private, and the school will never know about it.

Assuming that the school follows the bible, Hamburger Mary's violates this chapter and verse:

Deuteronomy 22

5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

This story. It is not "ungodly" do eat at a hamburger joint with a drag show.
It is insane to even suggest it.

According to you........a drag show is a sexual show.....if you can find male employees going to a strip club, posting about it on facebook and not getting fired, then you would have a point.......you haven't, so you don't....

What if it was a Muslim school?
tommy lets go.jpg

Have you seen the contract? While it most likely doesn’t call out specific places of not to go, it very well could have clauses about lifestyle choices and content forbidden. Again, if it is too restrictive, find another job. If she feels she has a case for a successful lawsuit, go for it.

All I’m saying is that teachers should factor this in when choosing jobs.

Why are you surprised? Many companies / organizations will monitor employee conduct on social media which can be grounds for termination and / or recruiting when content violates company policies and / or negatively affects the organization or its reputation. Nothing like someone complaining about something because its religious nature, when it's much more broader than just religion .. try doing some due diligence next time.

Look, if a teacher at an Orthodox Jewish school, and a teacher at a Muslim school go out and have bacon cheeseburgers with pork beignets as an apetizer, they will likely have a consequence if they post on Facebook about how much fun they had.

When you are hired to work with other people's children, you volunteer to follow whatever rules the school sets. Like I always told my students when I taught at a private school: Don't think the rules are cool? Don't act a fool, start your own school.

A lesbian teacher in a Catholic school hid her gay marriage but was outed and fired. She sued and recently the courts sided with the school.

She knew the rules going in
Yeah. The rule is when you molest children as a religious leader, you can't be gay when you do it.

In that respect Catholics support molestation.

Perhaps if they didn't worship a false diety they wouldn't be so accepting of this behavior?

Forum List

Back