Teen fan tasered by Phillies security after running onto field

Let's pretend people only run out onto the field at phillies games, too.

If the policy was in place to fine offenders one dollar per each person in attendance I bet dad would have said, hell no son, you do that and you'll be paying that hefty fine!

Everybody be running on the field during Royals and Pirates games. :lol:

:lol: You'd have to use a seriously hefty multiplier for those stadiums with less attendance!

You do not run from the police. Right or wrong - you could get tazed or shot. The cop mistakes a cell phone for a gun, and pop.

That's what I teach my sons and my students. This was a teachable moment. That kid better not get one red cent from the police (I mean taxpayers)

The kid was an idiot but most 17 year old boys are. Tasers are potentially lethal and in my opinion, not appropriate for use with children. The law says a 17 year old is a CHILD. If we want kids treated like adults, we should think about changing the legal age. If the security officers aren't capable of handling an unarmed, skinny, 17 year old boy without a weapon then maybe they need to look for different jobs.

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- Renea Mitchell said her son Robert wanted "nothing to do" with police, a feeling she said is "nothing new" among teenagers in Detroit.
But she wants to know why police felt they needed to use a Taser on a scared, 16-year-old, learning-disabled boy with no criminal record.

Robert Mitchell died April 10 in an abandoned house in Warren, just across Eight Mile Road from Detroit proper. His death led to a lawsuit and a protest last week by about 100 people on the thoroughfare, which separates Detroit from its northern suburbs.

Police said the teen was resisting arrest after bolting from his cousin's car during a traffic stop, and the use of the Taser was justified. But Renea Mitchell calls her son's death "murder."
he 5-foot-2, 110-pound Mitchell died after being shot once with a Taser, which delivers a 50,000-volt electric charge. The Macomb County medical examiner's office says an autopsy report has not yet been completed. The Warren Police Department's internal affairs office ruled the use of the Taser was justified, and the officers involved in his death are back on the job. But Mitchell's family is suing the department and the city, arguing there was "no articulable reason" to use the Taser on him.

Police consider the Taser a non-lethal weapon, and Dwyer said it has been "a very useful tool." But the human rights group Amnesty International has documented more than 350 cases in which people have died after being shocked with Tasers.

Mitchell's death was at least the third involving people shot with Tasers in 2009, and the second in Michigan. A 15-year-old in Bay City, about 115 miles north of Detroit, died in March; a Virginia teen died in January.

'No excuse' for teen's Taser death, mother says - CNN.com

i knew somebody would stumble on the real underlying issue here --- the policy and procedure for sworn law enforcement officer's discharge of the taser.

there seems to be considerably looser rules for use of the taser as opposed to a firearm and it also seems that police all over the country are getting a little trigger happy on questionable targets.

this particular instance is especially pathetic owing to the clear incompetence of the officer to stop the offender any other way and his superiors supporting the shooting.

fat boy should be put on leave to knock off some of that beer belly so that he can capture silly philly fans running amok in the outfield.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Proper etiquette for handling a fan on the field

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I]YouTube - Baltimore colts mike curtis and the fan[/ame]

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Are there people calling it inappropriate? He's lucky worse didn't happen to him, I've seen some players absolutely deck fans that run on the field or the court. Dad didn't even tell him no, no wonder why the moron did it. The hell with anybody who breaks laws and puts players, umps and security in dangerous position.

I'm just not convinced THIS kid was a danger to anyone. Five minutes of jollies running around the bases and done. As I said, my opinion is that violence is only appropriate as a last resort, not first flinch.

I think a seriously hefty fine would also make potential offenders think twice.

Doesn't matter, there are people that have attacked players. ANd worse has happen to people running on the field, so anybody comes on, they are going to take them down as soon as possible. I'm sure he wasn't, but who gives a shit, he broke the rules, continued to run around, paid the consequences. Bet he never does it again

Of course the players and field crew need to be protected and in some cases violence is necessary as a defense, but it is a discretionary call - in the moment - all things considered - whether it's necessary to taze in order to subdue the offender at hand.

To give security guards cart blanch to taze people is irrational IMO.

Maybe they should put an electric fence over the whole stadium?

I watched the video and realized this kid was actually in the outfield far away from harming anyone and surrounded by several security guards who were closing in on him very closely. He's waving a white flag and they can all see he's just a kid who doesn't have a weapon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhbG6CQSG7s]YouTube - Police Use Taser Gun On Phillies Fan[/ame]

I own a detective agency and have been licensed since 1982.
The officer that tased the fan should be fired on the spot. The fan that was tased should be charged with criminal trespassing and convicted. The officer that tased the fan should pay all medical bills of the fan, pain and suffering and punitive damages. The fan posed no threat to the officer.
An outrageous act.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
The kid was an idiot but most 17 year old boys are. Tasers are potentially lethal and in my opinion, not appropriate for use with children. The law says a 17 year old is a CHILD. If we want kids treated like adults, we should think about changing the legal age. If the security officers aren't capable of handling an unarmed, skinny, 17 year old boy without a weapon then maybe they need to look for different jobs.

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- Renea Mitchell said her son Robert wanted "nothing to do" with police, a feeling she said is "nothing new" among teenagers in Detroit.
But she wants to know why police felt they needed to use a Taser on a scared, 16-year-old, learning-disabled boy with no criminal record.

Robert Mitchell died April 10 in an abandoned house in Warren, just across Eight Mile Road from Detroit proper. His death led to a lawsuit and a protest last week by about 100 people on the thoroughfare, which separates Detroit from its northern suburbs.

Police said the teen was resisting arrest after bolting from his cousin's car during a traffic stop, and the use of the Taser was justified. But Renea Mitchell calls her son's death "murder."
he 5-foot-2, 110-pound Mitchell died after being shot once with a Taser, which delivers a 50,000-volt electric charge. The Macomb County medical examiner's office says an autopsy report has not yet been completed. The Warren Police Department's internal affairs office ruled the use of the Taser was justified, and the officers involved in his death are back on the job. But Mitchell's family is suing the department and the city, arguing there was "no articulable reason" to use the Taser on him.

Police consider the Taser a non-lethal weapon, and Dwyer said it has been "a very useful tool." But the human rights group Amnesty International has documented more than 350 cases in which people have died after being shocked with Tasers.

Mitchell's death was at least the third involving people shot with Tasers in 2009, and the second in Michigan. A 15-year-old in Bay City, about 115 miles north of Detroit, died in March; a Virginia teen died in January.

'No excuse' for teen's Taser death, mother says - CNN.com

vel6377, you need to do a little reading, b/c it obvious that you don't have a fvckn' clue as to what you're talking about. Tazers = lethal force? Please, only if you're doing drugs already, per Amnesty International;

Most of those who died were agitated and/or under the influence of drugs and most were also subjected to multiple or prolonged electro-shocks. Among Taser related deaths in the past year, for example, 40 were shocked more than 3 times and one person as many as 19 times.

This kid called his dad to see if it was ok, meaning he KNEW what he was doing was stupid to begin with. OMG, a 17 year old stupid punk kid might actually have to suffer for making a stupid decision, what a crime that must be??? Let's throw those cops in jail and make a pass for the stupid 17 year old. Since I've received no rebuttal, I'll go ahead and assume that any anti-tazers would prefer this kid to have received a broken arm, leg, shoulder or worse at the hands of these fat, overweight security guards. Why do you f@ggots hate the youth of America....? :confused:

Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell calls it a "big mistake."

"There's no need to use Tasers on fans...we should just have enough personnel out there to surround them, take them off the field and off to jail," Gov. Rendell said. "No need to Taser."

Tasered Teen's Dad Tried to Stop Him, Mom Disappointed | NBC Philadelphia

looking at that made me realize there was an opportunity for a politically incorrect culturally-biased remark: that is a whole family of incredibly stupid wops (dago or greaseball are synonyms)

Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell calls it a "big mistake."

"There's no need to use Tasers on fans...we should just have enough personnel out there to surround them, take them off the field and off to jail," Gov. Rendell said. "No need to Taser."

Tasered Teen's Dad Tried to Stop Him, Mom Disappointed | NBC Philadelphia

looking at that made me realize there was an opportunity for a politically incorrect culturally-biased remark: that is a whole family of incredibly stupid wops (dago or greaseball are synonyms)

:rolleyes: Brilliant!

Then there's the copy cat :

Tom Betz was grinning from ear to ear as he walked out of Southwest Detectives Wednesday night.

The 34-year-old was arrested Tuesday for jumping the field at Citizens Bank Park during the Phillies-Cardinals game.

Betz ran in the footsteps of 17-year-old Steve Consalvi, who jumped the field Monday night. The teen was brought down by a Philadelphia Police officer's Taser, the man was not.

"I just wanted to go out there and prove, at least in my case, that they didn't need to tase anybody or, you know, do anything like that," Betz said.

Betz has become a lighting rod for Phillies fans since his field rush. Fans booed and chanted "tase him" as he was led off to jail.

Copycat Field Jumper: I Was Proving a Point | NBC Philadelphia

While some question the use of force on a teen who ran on to the field as a lark, plenty of players, baseball officials and security officers say it's difficult to make that determination in the moment. Recalling the stabbing of tennis star Monica Seles in 1993, and the beating of Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa in 2002, they stressed the need to feel safe on the field.

"You've got to do whatever you think is necessary to stop some of these fans," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's a wacko fan. I'm all for it."

...darker side to fans getting in on the action, particularly in the last 20 years or so. Gamboa was mugged by two fans at a Royals-White Sox game in Chicago. The Houston Astros had to rush to the aid of outfielder Bill Spiers when he was attacked by a fan in Milwaukee in 1999 and the NBA's Indiana Pacers brawled with Pistons fans in Detroit in 2004.

The police got no arguments from most players and coaches. Only applause. "When I first saw it, it seemed a little over the top and unnecessary for someone who wasn't causing trouble," Anderson said. "But then when you think about it, if you let that go, what are you going to let go in the future?"

Most in baseball approve Tasering of fan who ran onto field - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

I own a detective agency and have been licensed since 1982.
The officer that tased the fan should be fired on the spot. The fan that was tased should be charged with criminal trespassing and convicted. The officer that tased the fan should pay all medical bills of the fan, pain and suffering and punitive damages. The fan posed no threat to the officer.
An outrageous act.

Maybe you should have done surveillance on him for two innings to see of he didn't have a gun detective. The cop had to make that decission and he made the right one.

At least this kid was smart, the guy who did it the next night had a bag of weed in his pocket and is facing drug charges

Forum List

Back