Terrible eruption in Guatamala, 65 dead encased in superhot ash.

This was really horrific many hundreds more injured. Hardly a mention of this on the news. Apparently Guatamalans only matter when they show up at our border.

Guatemala volcano: at least 62 killed and 300 injured after Fuego erupts

It seems to be in the news elsewhere, then again I have news apps from all over.

Yes, terrible. When I went to a volcano last year I got a little nervous, that one hadn't erupted since the 1970s. Couldn't believe people could live so close to it.

That’s what I find puzzling, is this was a very active volcano, yet so many live close to its peak. I am saddened so many lives have been lost.

People do it all over the world.

Look at the city at the base of Mt. Vesuvius. A volcano that buried Pompei and Herculaneum for millennia. It also erupted in the forties and yet people still build and live at the base of that killer volcano.

The Island of Monsseratt had its volcano erupt in the nineties and cities surrounded it. Two thirds of the island is buried under ash and yet people still live on the other third.

Hawii is right now dealing with a volcano eruption and its not the first time.

My newsfeed keeps sending me pictures of entire families covered in ash. Evidently the ash is still fiery hot when it lands back on the Earth. I won't repost them as they are very difficult to see.

The volcano in Hawaii is a different type volcano, a shield volcano. And I’m not talking about the base of the Fuego volcano, but actually upslope near its peak. The Fuego is a stratovolcano which is more apt to explosive eruptions, which it has had many and collapse. And their have been warnings about Fuego since at least Feb a big one was possibly coming.
The volcano in Hawaii also has a usgs observatory there monitoring 24/7 the Kilauea. Unfortunately, because building was promoted there by govt officials, and people being lulled by its lack of sudden, major eruptions, the people are losing their homes. Fortunately so far, no lives have been lost from the volcano itself due to warnings coming from constant observation.
People do it all over the world.

Look at the city at the base of Mt. Vesuvius. A volcano that buried Pompei and Herculaneum for millennia. It also erupted in the forties and yet people still build and live at the base of that killer volcano.

The Island of Monsseratt had its volcano erupt in the nineties and cities surrounded it. Two thirds of the island is buried under ash and yet people still live on the other third.

Hawii is right now dealing with a volcano eruption and its not the first time.

That’s what I find puzzling, is this was a very active volcano, yet so many live close to its peak. I am saddened so many lives have been lost.
Remember Mt St. Helens? These damned pyroclastic explosions on the west side of the continent suck.
Approximately 57 people were killed directly, including innkeeper Harry R. Truman, photographers Reid Blackburn and Robert Landsburg, and geologist David A. Johnston.[4] Hundreds of square miles were reduced to wasteland, causing over a billion U.S. dollars in damage ($3.03 billion in 2017 dollars[5]), thousands of animals were killed, and Mount St. Helens was left with a crater on its north side. ...
An eruption column rose 80,000 feet (24 km; 15 mi) into the atmosphere and deposited ash in 11 U.S. states.[2] At the same time, snow, ice and several entire glaciers on the volcano melted, forming a series of large lahars (volcanic mudslides) that reached as far as the Columbia River, nearly 50 miles (80 km) to the southwest.

1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens - Wikipedia

Yeah, Mt. St. Helens is also a stratovolcano, like Fuego..
Remember Mt St. Helens? These damned pyroclastic explosions on the west side of the continent suck.
Approximately 57 people were killed directly, including innkeeper Harry R. Truman, photographers Reid Blackburn and Robert Landsburg, and geologist David A. Johnston.[4] Hundreds of square miles were reduced to wasteland, causing over a billion U.S. dollars in damage ($3.03 billion in 2017 dollars[5]), thousands of animals were killed, and Mount St. Helens was left with a crater on its north side. ...
An eruption column rose 80,000 feet (24 km; 15 mi) into the atmosphere and deposited ash in 11 U.S. states.[2] At the same time, snow, ice and several entire glaciers on the volcano melted, forming a series of large lahars (volcanic mudslides) that reached as far as the Columbia River, nearly 50 miles (80 km) to the southwest.

Yeah, Mt. St. Helens is also a stratovolcano, like Fuego..

I was just asking this morning why the Hawaii volcano wasn't smothering people in ash. A coworker explained what you did, and said that the volcanos on the plate induction zones are where the really nasty ones tend to occur. We've got a plate induction zone running all along the west coast of North and South America. So they're more likely to be stinkers.

Forum List

Back